Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

So you're saying you would take a long and leisurely walk along the coastline with me? :eek:

2. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

As long as there's booze :inlove:

edinatlanta got my feathers all ruffled, but there has to be some science involved. As long as tequila distilleries forgo labeling their product as "100% de agave" (which automatically means mixto), they're allowed to add sugar. The combination of ethanol and whatever sugars are introduced will send me to drinker's hell faster than you can say "salud"... very much the same way shit-quality wine with remaining unprocessed sugars does.

3. Kid Nickels

Kid Nickels Senior member

Bruichladdich 12 perhaps? It's still smoky and peaty but I believe "lighter" if I'm interpreting your meaning correctly. Just a suggestion.

4. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

bacon--that's something a little different but no, different spirits are chemically unable to cause different reactions. you've already said why you don't get hungover from scotch...unlike other alcohols, you are going slow and drinking lots of water at the same time. one of my pet peeves is hearing people go "oh when I mix light and dark spirits I get a worse hangover or a different type of drunk". While, yeah, you do its because you're drinking more than you normally would, not the mixing.

no offense taken. I guess in terms of pet peeves its not really a big deal.

5. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Don't get me wrong... I've plowed through single malts like it was my last night on Earth and somehow escaped hangover hell.

Anyway, that particular reasoning is totally idiotic (light vs dark) and trying to explain to people that caramel food coloring and/or barrel char doesn't get you hungover is pretty much a lost cause. I've learned to let the herps durp.

6. JohnnyLaw

JohnnyLaw Senior member

My understanding is that yeast doesn't exclusively produce ethanol during fermentation. It also creates other alcohols (fusel alcohols and traces of methanol). Different fermentation conditions will cause more or less of these undesirable, even toxic, alcohols to be produced. If you crank out a product fast and dirty, you'll probably get more. Cheap booze could also contain additives. If there's some truth to the "science" of hangovers, it could very well be related to these substances.

7. BrianVarick

BrianVarick Senior member

I just bought my first bottle of Scotch, Johnny Walker Black. Since I am a scotch newbie can someone describe the notes to me so I know what I am drinking and I can start deciphering flavors? Is that a weird request?

8. jet

jet Persian Bro

lol

9. ToucanSam

ToucanSam Well-Known Member

i find that most people, scotch reviewers included, just look up the ingredients online and succumb to listing out the ingredients as if it wasn't pre-determined already.

10. ama

ama Senior member

Ingredients? Like barley, yeast and water?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  11. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

lol

12. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

I was surprised Saturday night with a bottle of the best ranked Scotch of the year, 21 Old Puletney. Damn tasting but a bit more iodine than I usually like. All in all the an incredibly complex drink with lots of I input from both toasted oak and its seaside setting.

13. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Pulteney makes me want to wear a peacoat and drink it outside on the porch in the rain, something to that effect.

14. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

Had some of the 12yr in a flask while gardening last week. Forgot how salty/briny it is (without the smoke or peat from Talisker/the Islays). Inexpensive single malts always seem to taste better outside.