Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Any One for a Scotch?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by French Cuff Consignment, Dec 14, 2006.

1. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

Might get it next time. I usually fly JAL but they codeshare with Korean Air sometimes.

2. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

been a while since i've been on this thread......just scanning for another secret santa idea.

sorry, not for you, ed

3. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

i don't know much about scotch but love the taste of lagavulin and laphroaig. recently though i've been getting terrible hangovers after a few shots from my standard laph 10. i've read that this whisky has a particularly high phenol level. can anyone recommend something that has that smoky, peaty islay taste but is a little lighter? i was thinking maybe a bowmore 12

4. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

What exactly do you mean by lighter? Less smoke? Less peat? Less brine? Less "intensity"? Less ABV? If you're drinking the non-CS Laph 10yr, that's already watered down to 40%.

I don't know about you guys, but I can't remember getting hungover from any single malt in the last few years (terribly hungover from all sorts of other shit though).

5. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

The color of the label, too. The light blue is hideous. I can't enjoy anything while looking at such an ugly label.

6. ama

ama Senior member

Price range?

7. denning

denning Senior member

8. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Senior member

9. dsfgdsdfsgdfsg

dsfgdsdfsgdfsg Member

10. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Senior member

thinking around $40-50. might just go with some laph10 cask

11. ama

ama Senior member

Bold move. That is a huge scotch.

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Funny thing is I have had the same experience. What's more I have gastric reflux and if I drink wine, for instance, I always get heartburn.

I drink Islays mostly---working on a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and a bottle of 1990(?) Ardbeg Arrigh Nam Beist (my favourite) which was given to me by a client and another gifted bottle of Oban 12 in reserve.

I don't drink but a dram or two at any one sitting but in over ten years I never get heartburn or a hangover (knock on wood)

13. robinsongreen68

robinsongreen68 Senior member

thanks for the reply- i don't really know! there's nothing i would change about the flavour, i just meant less hangover-inducing. you're right though 40% ABV should not be causing these problems, perhaps i just need to build up my stamina daily

14. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

Ugh. you guys bring up a pet peeve of mine... the "science" of hangovers... I'll have more to say about it later but basically different types of alcohol wine, scotch etc can't cause worse/different hangovers or some not at all while others can. Now if you were drinking something other than ethanol (well, I would hope you aren't) that would be different. Anyone who says "don't mix spirits" or "dark spirits do this" is flat out wrong. UGH.

15. I<3Bacon

I<3Bacon Senior member

There is no "science". There are no rules that apply to everyone universally. Everyone is different and I had no intentions of pushing anyone's buttons.

For me personally, shit-quality spirits like tequila mixtos (vs. 100% de agave) will spell impending doom. And for fuck's sake, savor your quality single malts slowly and drink plenty of water. It's a long and leisurely walk along the coastline, not a sprint off the cliff.