• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

wizy

Reaction score
Like what Supernova said, Chisel 2 runs a bit larger than the soft square. Thundermarch said about a quarter larger which I agree. I took UK7 for chisel 2 and soft square and I find chisel 2 to have more volume in the vamp and instep and a little heel slip.

Interestingly I am in the exact same size and the soft square fits me a bit better

Do you have AM loafers? Do you take the at UK7 as well ?

bsarosi

Reaction score
Like what Supernova said, Chisel 2 runs a bit larger than the soft square. Thundermarch said about a quarter larger which I agree. I took UK7 for chisel 2 and soft square and I find chisel 2 to have more volume in the vamp and instep and a little heel slip.

This is very helpful...thinking I might size down to 8.5 in chisel 2 since the 9 in soft square fits on the looser side through the vamp/instep - no heel slip but laces are cinched tight and still have a little room, which I prefer. But if chisel 2 is roomier, might be ideal to size down .5

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My first GMTO on chisel 2 was 9F, I switched to 9E on the next GMTO (also chisel 2 hasn’t arrived yet so can’t comment though i’m fairly certain that would work).

On the navy lazyman in soft square I got 9F just to be on the safe side (i need slight wide in toebox, for example GG TG73 in 9E UK is unwearable for me, MH71 in 9E UK is cutting close).

I might be able to 9E on soft square though didn’t want to gamble it since it will be either just right or too tight.

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DHL delivered today. Happy with the product. I would be game for another oxford gmto. 20180625_211452.jpg 20180625_211201.jpg

20180625_211335.jpg

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
A bit unlucky with dhl lately, somehow dhl has the wrong zip code has to call to correct now delivery is tomorrow instead...

NJE66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit unlucky with dhl lately, somehow dhl has the wrong zip code has to call to correct now delivery is tomorrow instead...
Had the same annoying experience recently for another pair. Sorry for you my friend.

Thanks @ThunderMarch and all of you participating in gmto.

Last edited:

evangel21

Reaction score
Interestingly I am in the exact same size and the soft square fits me a bit better

Do you have AM loafers? Do you take the at UK7 as well ?

@wizy, I think we both are same size and probably fit the same. The soft square fits me great. I have another in the hawksbill last and it fits good too.
Nope. I don't any AM loafers so wouldn't know the sizing.

This is very helpful...thinking I might size down to 8.5 in chisel 2 since the 9 in soft square fits on the looser side through the vamp/instep - no heel slip but laces are cinched tight and still have a little room, which I prefer. But if chisel 2 is roomier, might be ideal to size down .5
I'm not sure simply sizing down by half would solve it. Because you might end up with a shorter shoe. The length is fine for me for both chisel 2 and soft square, albeit a tad bit longer for the chisel 2.

But ymmv.

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any top down shots of the Hawksbill last? How does it size compared to the other lasts?

evangel21

Reaction score
Does anyone have any top down shots of the Hawksbill last? How does it size compared to the other lasts?

Here you go.
Pic 1 - AM Principes in the hawksbill last
IMG_20180626_100158.jpg

Pic 2 - in comparison with soft square on its left and chisel 2 on its right
IMG_20180626_100936.jpg

The hawksbill last is asymmetrical in shape. I experience a slight pinch o the 4th toe of my right foot after a day's wear. Either because my toes are longer or my right foot is slightly wider. I don't experience any pinching on my left even though it's slightly longer than my right. But it's a really beautiful and wonderful last. Fits really well overall for me.

I take the same size for all 3. But as mentioned previously, chisel 2 runs a little larger.

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here you go.
Pic 1 - AM Principes in the hawksbill last
View attachment 995643

Pic 2 - in comparison with soft square on its left and chisel 2 on its right
View attachment 995644

The hawksbill last is asymmetrical in shape. I experience a slight pinch o the 4th toe of my right foot after a day's wear. Either because my toes are longer or my right foot is slightly wider. I don't experience any pinching on my left even though it's slightly longer than my right. But it's a really beautiful and wonderful last. Fits really well overall for me.

I take the same size for all 3. But as mentioned previously, chisel 2 runs a little larger.

Beautiful! Thanks for the comparison. Do you have a favorite of the three?

evangel21

Reaction score
Beautiful! Thanks for the comparison. Do you have a favorite of the three?

I haven't worn the soft square and chisel 2 to give an objective view. But initial view is the soft square based on fit with hawksbill a close second if not for the slight pinch. In terms of looks, I'd say a close fight between hawksbill and chisel 2, with hawksbill edging just because I love almond shaped shoes.

Overall winner I'd say hawksbill.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads