• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Antonio Meccariello Shoes

wheresdremote

Reaction score
THE MYTH OF "COST PER WEAR": This is a mini-rant, please excuse me. My main point is let's please stop using this mistaken idea of "cost per wear" to justify our purchases, especially shoes. Most often we hear this bad advice from YouTube menswear folks who like to say something like, "The cost per wear of a quality item" eventually pays for itself -- or at least makes it cheaper than a poorer quality item. This assumes so many things (incorrectly). For example, I used to wear $130 dress shoes, the same pair five times a week and every six months or so, I'd throw them away and buy a new one. My AMs cost around $1000. I wear them, at most, once a week (if that). Sure, they'll last me a lifetime -- but think about this. First, the cost per wear is spread out over 20-30 years. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of finance knows what you're actually doing is "freezing" $1000 (or let's say $870, since you'd have to buy those crappy shoes) when you could actually be investing it in something that has a return or simply buying groceries and gas. Second, you'll have to eventually resole those shoes. Let's say twice in your lifetime -- and each time is basically the price of a cheap shoe (or two). And third, and most damning of all, to get the cost per wear down to the $130 shoes, you'd have to commit to wearing these once a week for 30 years -- and hope you live that long or that your tastes/feet don't change. Are any of us that committed? I have about 15 shoes in my rotation and I'm always ready to add more. If you want to justify your purchase for some other reason (saving the environment, for example), go for it! Bottom line: Don't try to use a silly justification that doesn't make sense or, worse, fall for a YouTuber trying to sell you something. Just buy those shoes! (And don't let your wife know.)

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THE MYTH OF "COST PER WEAR": This is a mini-rant, please excuse me. My main point is let's please stop using this mistaken idea of "cost per wear" to justify our purchases, especially shoes. Most often we hear this bad advice from YouTube menswear folks who like to say something like, "The cost per wear of a quality item" eventually pays for itself -- or at least makes it cheaper than a poorer quality item. This assumes so many things (incorrectly). For example, I used to wear $130 dress shoes, the same pair five times a week and every six months or so, I'd throw them away and buy a new one. My AMs cost around $1000. I wear them, at most, once a week (if that). Sure, they'll last me a lifetime -- but think about this. First, the cost per wear is spread out over 20-30 years. Anyone with even a passing knowledge of finance knows what you're actually doing is "freezing" $1000 (or let's say $870, since you'd have to buy those crappy shoes) when you could actually be investing it in something that has a return or simply buying groceries and gas. Second, you'll have to eventually resole those shoes. Let's say twice in your lifetime -- and each time is basically the price of a cheap shoe (or two). And third, and most damning of all, to get the cost per wear down to the $130 shoes, you'd have to commit to wearing these once a week for 30 years -- and hope you live that long or that your tastes/feet don't change. Are any of us that committed? I have about 15 shoes in my rotation and I'm always ready to add more. If you want to justify your purchase for some other reason (saving the environment, for example), go for it! Bottom line: Don't try to use a silly justification that doesn't make sense or, worse, fall for a YouTuber trying to sell you something. Just buy those shoes! (And don't let your wife know.)
I don’t think anyone on this thread has seriously used cost per wear to justify buying Meccariello. People jokingly throw it around on this thread about how they’re rationalizing a purchase with it but nobody is seriously calculating it out or thinks they’re coming out ahead.

LKittelb

Reaction score
I don’t think anyone on this thread has seriously used cost per wear to justify buying Meccariello. People jokingly throw it around on this thread about how they’re rationalizing a purchase with it but nobody is seriously calculating it out or thinks they’re coming out ahead.
yeah, we all might think that and argue that with the first pair, but once you get a dozen pairs in, you know you're not in it for the cost ROI over time. you like the shoes, you wear the shoes, you pay outrageous amounts for new shoes. such is the cycle.

there is an ROI in dressing well generally though in a professional setting (or a step above the rest). when i began dressing a bit more sartorially oriented several years ago, it got my boss at work real worried, and shortly after i got a raise (not saying this was the only factor, but it very well may be one). trouble is the effects are so soft, its hard to measure in any concrete numbers. i digress.

BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you own more than 20 pairs of shoes (boots, derbies, oxfords, etc.) ROI is non-existent. Highly unlikely the owner will outlast the shoes (GYW or HW) within their lifetime.

If you are hovering at around 10 pairs (lowest priced GYW & HW), you might be breaking even. This is using a 20 year barometer.

As it pertains to this thread's namesake, doubtful you'd be having any ROI (unless discounted or used or both) even if it were one pair, as there are lower priced GYW/HW'd options available.

wheresdremote

Reaction score
yeah, we all might think that and argue that with the first pair, but once you get a dozen pairs in, you know you're not in it for the cost ROI over time. you like the shoes, you wear the shoes, you pay outrageous amounts for new shoes. such is the cycle.

there is an ROI in dressing well generally though in a professional setting (or a step above the rest). when i began dressing a bit more sartorially oriented several years ago, it got my boss at work real worried, and shortly after i got a raise (not saying this was the only factor, but it very well may be one). trouble is the effects are so soft, its hard to measure in any concrete numbers. i digress.
"Such is the cycle." Well said! I'm just grateful that I'm in a position where I can afford these shoes -- and that I work in a field where the expectation is still suit and tie, five days a week, so that I have a job that provides cover for my purchases!

Johnny80

Reaction score
and that I work in a field where the expectation is still suit and tie, five days a week

To wear a suit is something about yourself and how you see yourself...is something that i like and i got used to like over the years. I dont need a field or someone to expect that from me...its just a choice i make
Its better for you to chose not to be chosen for you.
In an era of everything is on fast forward and so much chaos, the suit/ smart casual dress code is golden

nishant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Armiticos to work ..

524BCD52-C018-4F55-BBD2-952B937FBE21.jpeg
432964DD-F4AD-4D32-96CA-7A753BBD42CE.jpeg
BD41786B-04E5-41BC-8552-8A50717B2622.jpeg
445114A4-6724-47F3-83CA-71E2BC562106.jpeg

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

hysteria

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

I would appreciate your collective thoughts on the following.
I finally heard back from Antonio/Silvana regarding their analysis of all my measurements and their recommendations.
As you might recall, I haven't owned a pair of AM's before; this would be my first, so I wanted to go with a RTW option in case it doesn't fit well. Antonio suggested I start with oxfords instead of going straight for monks since it would more difficult to ascertain fit for the monks, especially with his high instep lasts for those and my average to low instep.

Here's their recommendation regarding the Roma C4:

"to get a precise size in the chisel 4 .we should go in size 7 and increase a little ( 1 cm) the insteph
the fitting change at insteph costs 50 euro .(for the service)
If you instead go in size 7.5 ,shoes not needs modifications at insteph ,but shoes will turn out loose at the Vamp( so could be necessary put an insole to reduce Toe room volume)
we can include for free"

Antonio did say that basically, most Argentum should give me a decent fit in 7.5, but vamp could leave a bit more room than desired and he would send an insole to fix it.

^^My question for you is: which of the two options provided above makes more sense considering my position?
On one hand, it sounds like the 7UK with instep adjustment will going to provide the best fit. I don't mind paying the small fee either. However, this would make it unrefundable. If I have made any measurement errors or the shoes don't fit well for some reason, I would be forever stuck with a pair that also won't fit anyone else. I did sent them all photos of all my measurements to reduce risk of measurement error, but some risk remains. If I get the 7.5UK, then no adjustments are made, and it's returnable, but it seems like the fit may not be as good. "Good" is subjective. 95% perfect is pretty good for RTW, but 80-85% less so.

I have never had to stick an extra insole into a shoe to fill up volume, but I just imagine it as not feeling great - perhaps it's not that big of a deal and you don't notice a difference?

I suppose, if they trust my photos and measurements enough to make adjustments based on it, then perhaps I should trust that the measurements are good enough and probably will yield a satisfactory result? I get the feeling that the consensus will be - "bite the bullet and do it", but I thought I'd give y'all a shout anyways since everyone here has provided invaluable advice before. I'm aware that I'm probably over-thinking at this point, and I have every intention to put in an order by the end of the week.

@Jmr928 @BColl_Has_Too_Many_Shoes @clee1982 @yshin10

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads