• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anti-gym. No Chubbies!

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
So? Lance Armstrong trains pretty damn hard too, but that particular fact doesn't motivate me to ride my bike any faster.

Maybe I'm just not enough of a musclehead to "get" it, but I really find the Arnold hagiography weird. Like the notion that posting a picture of him is a persuasive, debate-ending response to iammmatt's post. I've come across this before (while overhearing trainers and lifers talk at the gym), it's a strange faith in the transformative power of merely viewing Arnold's build.... can someone explain it?

I personally understand the ridiculous discipline it took him to reach that point, and I respect it. It's not how big he is that impresses, it's that he is big. Anyone who has lifted before knows there are days where you just don't wanna do anything. So to see the results of a guy training twice a day, every day, and waking up at 4am to do it is... inspiring.

If you wanna look at it another way, getting cut and huge is something anybody has a pretty good chance of doing if they work hard enough. Something that can't be said for money, fame, or any number of other things we look for.

That and the fact that strength gets you respect, one way or another or as much as everyone might hate it.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Why would seeing some guy lift weights inspire me to do anything?

Because that's what the competition is offering; like in business, you have to make a better offer to the opposite sex. Anyways, since you have admitted that you haven't been in a gym in close to two decades, stop trolling.

Originally Posted by spertia
^^Thanks, you've just inspired me to never lift a weight for fear of turning into an unattractive freak.

He is an extreme example. I don't think anyone was originally thinking (myself included) of world body-building champions. Frankly being "˜cut' is good enough.

and losing my ability to speak intelligible English.

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ken
Gimme a break. The man worked harder to look like he did than any of us have worked for anything in our entire lives.

Yes.

So? Lance Armstrong trains pretty damn hard too, but that particular fact doesn't motivate me to ride my bike any faster.

I don't know if you actually road bike or not, and if you do with what frequency, but when someone cuts you off because they outclass you; you really do try harder to get up their level. And frankly, its not a bad self-motivation tool.

Originally Posted by 65535
I personally understand the ridiculous discipline it took him to reach that point, and I respect it. It's not how big he is that impresses, it's that he is big. Anyone who has lifted before knows there are days where you just don't wanna do anything. So to see the results of a guy training twice a day, every day, and waking up at 4am to do it is... inspiring.

If you wanna look at it another way, getting cut and huge is something anybody has a pretty good chance of doing if they work hard enough. Something that can't be said for money, fame, or any number of other things we look for.

That and the fact that strength gets you respect, one way or another or as much as everyone might hate it.

+1

As well, I point out the "˜cut' and "˜huge' can be done separately. Since "˜cut' has more to do with your body fat and how your muscles appear. Huge on the other hand is well, just that.

Jon.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Because that's what the competition is offering; like in business, you have to make a better offer to the opposite sex. Anyways, since you have admitted that you haven't been in a gym in close to two decades, stop trolling.

Not trolling at all, I just don't have any interest in working out.

As for your first sentence, you either are some bad remake of Glengarry, Glenross, or you have shown us exactly why you never get laid. If you work out because you like it, great. If you workout to compete, well, you ain't winning.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Not trolling at all, I just don't have any interest in working out.

As for your first sentence, you either are some bad remake of Glengarry, Glenross, or you have shown us exactly why you never get laid. If you work out because you like it, great. If you workout to compete, well, you ain't winning.

You completely misunderstand (as per your standard course of thought). It's not that black and white. I like working out, and I feel better when I work out and afterwards as well. It's healthy (something which someone who smokes a pipe really doesn't care about), and is good for you over the course of your life.

And I'm sorry you don't understand sexual attraction and how once physical appearance has to do with it, but I guess that's why you continue to wear the color pants that you do. Oh and I mention in passing that you only say I don't get laid because of some moronic comment by a faux, unemployed Frenchman...and frankly repeating what he said in a serious manner only shows that you are dumber than he is.

And yes, regardless if you wish to admit it or not, you are trolling.

Jon.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You completely misunderstand (as per your standard course of thought). It's not that black and white. I like working out, and I feel better when I work out and afterwards as well. It's healthy (something which someone who smokes a pipe really doesn't care about), and is good for you over the course of your life. And I'm sorry you don't understand sexual attraction and how once physical appearance has to do with it, but I guess that's why you continue to wear the color pants that you do. Oh and I mention in passing that you only say I don't get laid because of some moronic comment by a faux, unemployed Frenchman...and frankly repeating what he said in a serious manner only shows that you are dumber than he is. And yes, regardless if you wish to admit it or not, you are trolling. Jon.
t-shirt.no.one.cares.white.back.jpg
%5C0077779451951_350.JPEG

dokelroth

Reaction score
Anyways, how goes the diet?

Jon.

From what I have seen, you are quite the chubby chaser.

dokelroth

Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
B/c he has a man-crush on Conne, or b/c you've seen the kind of women he likes?

Both.

Because he is a troll and attributes nothing to this forum.

Jon.

at·trib·ute (ə-trĭb'yōōt) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. at·trib·ut·ed, at·trib·ut·ing, at·trib·utes

1. To relate to a particular cause or source; ascribe: attributed their failure to a lack of preparation.
2. To regard as the work of a specified agent, place, or time: attributed the painting to Titian; attributed the vase to 18th-century Japan.

You must mean that I add nothing to this forum. Use smaller words, they are easier.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
Lol is there anyone on this forum you haven't called a troll?
laugh.gif

He actually is a troll. Not that he is trolling the thread, he actually trolls the forum, looking to pick fights, and if you look at his posts over the time he has been on SF, that's all he does.

He comes out of the woodwork, posts some stupid nonsense and runs back to hide under his desk. What a sad, pathetic existence that must be, to be a coward even on the internet; can you imagine him in real life?

Jon.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dokelroth
Both.

at·trib·ute (ə-trĭb'yōōt) Pronunciation Key
tr.v. at·trib·ut·ed, at·trib·ut·ing, at·trib·utes

1. To relate to a particular cause or source; ascribe: attributed their failure to a lack of preparation.
2. To regard as the work of a specified agent, place, or time: attributed the painting to Titian; attributed the vase to 18th-century Japan.

You must mean that I add nothing to this forum. Use smaller words, they are easier.

Indeed, I meant contribute, but then I'm sure you never make mistakes...yet you continue to troll surely that is a mistake in character. And why do you want me to use smaller words, so you will understand?

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads