• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Bourdain on NPR

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was responding to your original point of how the job was PERCEIVED. I think when people think of chefs, the names that ocme to mind are guys like thomas keller, tom colicchio, mario batali, etc. there is certainly nothing overtly effete about them.
i guess it comes down to what you consider to be a manly job.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
alice waters doesn't count because she has never really cooked. in fact, inside the profession, there's quite a little political tiff about this.

lol8[1].gif
Ah, Santa.

Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Sorry, but to me a Chef, or being a cook is just a regular job, and nothing badass about it. I just don't see Navy SEAL, and a Chef being in the same bad ass category.
laugh.gif

I guess you haven't seen "Under Siege!"
smile.gif

Grayland

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kitchens are men dominated, and women don't usually reach the rank of Chef because of discrimination, and all the sexual harassment from the male staff. I've worked under two female Chefs, and they were tough as nails, because they had to be to survive in the industry.

Sorry, but to me a Chef, or being a cook is just a regular job, and nothing badass about it. I just don't see Navy SEAL, and a Chef being in the same bad ass category.
laugh.gif

I was an Airborne Ranger (1/75 Ranger Battalion) from 82-85. After that, I used my VA money to attend cooking school. I cooked for about 10 years and have been a chef-instructor since. The mental and physical toughness, in addition to the discipline, I developed as a Ranger helped me a great deal in professional kitchens. The first chef I worked for was a woman and she was excellent. The discrimination and sexual harrasment you mention is not that common in truly professional kitchens anymore. You have to be able to take some, generally, good natured abuse, but once you've proved yourself, you're in...man or woman.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i was responding to your original point of how the job was PERCEIVED. I think when people think of chefs, the names that ocme to mind are guys like thomas keller, tom colicchio, mario batali, etc. there is certainly nothing overtly effete about them.
i guess it comes down to what you consider to be a manly job.

Foodguy, how many people know who those guys are?

Unless you're in the industry, or a foodie... no one cares.

Originally Posted by Grayland
I was an Airborne Ranger (1/75 Ranger Battalion) from 82-85. After that, I used my VA money to attend cooking school. I cooked for about 10 years and have been a chef-instructor since. The mental and physical toughness, in addition to the discipline, I developed as a Ranger helped me a great deal in professional kitchens. The first chef I worked for was a woman and she was excellent. The discrimination and sexual harrasment you mention is not that common in truly professional kitchens anymore. You have to be able to take some, generally, good natured abuse, but once you've proved yourself, you're in...man or woman.

Depends on the staff, and how much the Chef lets slide. Women, and young men take a lot of abuse from the older cooks. If you don't have a tough skin you won't last long in certain kitchens.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Depends on the staff, and how much the Chef lets slide. Women, and young men take a lot of abuse from the older cooks. If you don't have a tough skin you won't last long in certain kitchens.
You have to have a tough skin to make it in any good kitchen. If women, or young men, or old men, or anyone can't handle it, then they should find other work. Maybe they can be servers or FOH staff.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
foh? that's cold kylie, real cold.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
foh? that's cold kylie, real cold.

Meh. I don't disrespect FOH staff. That's probably because the first real job I ever had had one of the most professional and best service staffs in the country. Now I don't mind foh staff b/c it's mostly comprised of hot mexican women where I work. So.... two good reasons to play nice. I think the notorious foh/boh staff debate comes down to misunderstanding and lack of proper communication. Two things which can and should be easily fixed.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
think the notorious foh/boh staff debate comes down to misunderstanding and lack of proper communication. Two things which can and should be easily fixed.

uh, that and the fact that FOH can take home hundreds of dollars a night in tips while BOH gets slightly above minimum wage and usually no tips. makes cooks bitter.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
uh, that and the fact that FOH can take home hundreds of dollars a night in tips while BOH gets slightly above minimum wage and usually no tips. makes cooks bitter.

I guess. But that's still rather stupid. If the cook wants to make that money, they should go be a server. I would hope that someone is cooking for more than just money. If they're cooking for the money, they're pretty goddamned dumb. I mean, you're absolutely right, but it's a silly and annoying thing to get upset about. Everyone already knows that information before they become a cook.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FOH alleviate this by telling the cooks how much they love their food... They exploit cooks egos, and get a dish in the process.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ErnestoG.
i saw him speak in lowell on his speaking tour last winter. huge fan of his work and have read a few of his books. really cool guy and his show was awesome. about 30 minutes was devoted to ******** on sandra lee and other food network bozos.

You're from Lowell? I lived there for a while, before moving to Winchester, interesting place.

Back to Bourdain. Yeah, I think he'd be fin to hang with. I know early 50s isn't really that old, but if I can be half as cool as he is when I reach that age, I'll be very, very happy.

SField

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The whole chef as a bad ass thing is kind of lame... like when classical musicians in a desperate attempt to sell albums and broaden their appeal to crossover rock, or even worse, hip hop style music.

Are great chefs bad asses in the sense that they have worked incredibly hard, posses considerable skill and even had to overcome big obstacles to reach their goals? Yes. But not bad asses like the dudes on Deadliest Catch or like... an SAS guy. In fact, most of them are pretty nerdy. If you ever meet people like Ducasse, Robuchon, or Keller, you'll notice this.

I think Bourdain is full of ****.

gomestar

Super Yelper
Reaction score
to be fair, Bourdain's restaurant life is nowhere near the likes of Ducasse, Robuchon, Keller, Bouloud, Blumenthal, Adria, etc. He isn't pretending to be like them, either, rather he speaks of the life behind the always crowded neighborhood spots serving bistro fair where the focus is on churning out good food cover after cover and never a goal of any type of Michelin stars or ****.

"badass" isn't the phrase I'd give to the cooks in his world ... I think he uses the term misfits, which I can see.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourdain was on Yo Gaba Gaba, the second best show on TV behind his own, because it was his kid's favorite show. He also made a Yo Gaba Gaba reference when he was in Egypt.

20100223-tony-bourdain-yo-gabba-gabba.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads