• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anthony Bourdain on NPR

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hombre Secreto
Huh? Most Chefs are thought of as ****. Only people who find being a cook/chef being cool for the most part are women. I don't know why... but many people perceive being a cook or chef as being sissy jobs. Far from it.

I don't know what universe you are in but that is certainly not the typical sentiment about chefs I generally see expressed.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huh? Most Chefs are thought of as ****. Only people who find being a cook/chef being cool for the most part are women. I don't know why... but many people perceive being a cook or chef as being sissy jobs. Far from it.

maybe it's that picture of you with the knife? just thinking aloud...

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by foodguy
maybe it's that picture of you with the knife? just thinking aloud...

You remember...
laugh.gif

I remember reading "Heat", and Mario Batali's mom tell him to consider cooking school, an he replies: "Cooking school??? That's for ****, mom."

Their is a stigma with being cook, or chef. I've heard it, and seen it with my own eyes.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
could be that's why they work so hard at cultivating a badass swagger.

dv_indian

Reaction score
I like "No Reservations". I would love a job like that - travel to all those cool places and eat at local hot spots.

brlfvr

Reaction score
Thanks for posting this. Really enjoyed it.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
I think my thoughts on Bourdain are relatively well known across this board. But having read what my boy foodguy has to say about his new cook, I'd be willing to give it a shot. BTW, I find it absolutely hilarious that people paid money and filled up auditoriums to watch him talk.

i agree, up to a point. what's important is that that's how many people who work in kitchens see themselves. it's not something he invented, but something he latched on to. there is a significant backlash, including from America's Most Famous Chef, who runs kitchens with a very different vibe. a big part of tony's psyche is pissing off his parents (read: shocking the bourgeoisie).
I'm a badass. But not because I'm a cook. Just b/c I'm a badass.
You remember...
laugh.gif

I remember reading "Heat", and Mario Batali's mom tell him to consider cooking school, an he replies: "Cooking school??? That's for ****, mom."

Their is a stigma with being cook, or chef. I've heard it, and seen it with my own eyes.

That took place 30 years ago. A lot has changed.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kwilkinson
That took place 30 years ago. A lot has changed.

It still takes place, but I will admit it isn't as severe now. I don't think being a Chef will ever be considered a manly job.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
It still takes place, but I will admit it isn't as severe now. I don't think being a Chef will ever be considered a manly job.

I have honestly never noticed it. I don't mean to say that you're wrong or lying, but that our experiences must be quite different. Nobody around here views cooking as a woman's work or sissy stuff. Or at least, if they do, they never tell me about it.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I think only someone insecure in their sexuality would worry about this.

Roikins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have honestly never noticed it. I don't mean to say that you're wrong or lying, but that our experiences must be quite different. Nobody around here views cooking as a woman's work or sissy stuff. Or at least, if they do, they never tell me about it.

You are one ball away from making it woman's work.
devil.gif

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by erictheobscure
If you watch his show with any regularity, you start to see how eager he is to cling to the most banal narratives. "Oh my god, how does San Francisco have great meat when it's full of vegetarians and hippies! What a crazy paradox!" Meh.

He says things like that tongue-in-cheek. At least, that is the impression I get.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen this mostly from small-minded men who never worked a day in a kitchen. Honestly though... when you think of bad ass jobs a Chef doesn't come to mind.
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I think only someone insecure in their sexuality would worry about this.
Maybe, but it could also be that it's a really a tough industry, and being perceived as doing female/sissy (Cooking) work is really disrespectful. I take offense to anyone saying restaurant work is easy, and any punk could do it.

foodguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sorry hombre, i think you're way off base here. particularly when it comes to the professional kitchen. quick, name me 6 top women chefs. how about three? alice waters doesn't count because she has never really cooked. in fact, inside the profession, there's quite a little political tiff about this.
now it may be true that it will never be considered as manly as, say, being a hired assassin. but it's certainly as manly as selling men's clothes.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sorry hombre, i think you're way off base here. particularly when it comes to the professional kitchen. quick, name me 6 top women chefs. how about three? alice waters doesn't count because she has never really cooked. in fact, inside the profession, there's quite a little political tiff about this.
now it may be true that it will never be considered as manly as, say, being a hired assassin. but it's certainly as manly as selling men's clothes.

Kitchens are men dominated, and women don't usually reach the rank of Chef because of discrimination, and all the sexual harassment from the male staff. I've worked under two female Chefs, and they were tough as nails, because they had to be to survive in the industry.

Sorry, but to me a Chef, or being a cook is just a regular job, and nothing badass about it. I just don't see Navy SEAL, and a Chef being in the same bad ass category.
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads