• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Another Darn Wedding Question

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562

Read this article and perhaps show her some pictures from it. Many of these are 50-80 years old and still look great. Compare them to "popular" styles of the 70s and 80s, and then make the point that what is popular in a wedding magazine today is going to look chitzy in 25 years when you're looking back at the photos.

She, or everyone in real life that you ask, will eventually come back with the "well it's her day" retort. If she wants to act like a princess, she'll have to put up with a properly dressed prince. And princes don't get married in black suits with white neck ties.
050409wedding02go1.jpg

offline100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
nothing will clash with chocolate brown as badly as the black she's proposing!

+1 That's exactly what I instantly thought! And additionally ... brown doesn't seem very colorful or bridal, and it's odd that in her desire to avoid looking "country" she picked brown.

By the sound of it though, if this guy is fighting to get a say in what the blokes are wearing, I somehow doubt he'd be able to convince her to rethink the ladies' garb.

Random987

Reaction score
Yep, you guessed it. The chocolate brown is part of the overall "autumn" color scheme of the wedding.

So, given that it is a "day" wedding, would a black suit with a white tie (with the groomsmen wearing long black ties), still be inappropriate? If so, what type of suit would be appropriate for a day wedding?

Thanks again. I appreciate the honesty, and I know I am skirting around proper fashion, but we need to reach some type of resolution.

Originally Posted by offline100
+1 That's exactly what I instantly thought! And additionally ... brown doesn't seem very colorful or bridal, and it's odd that in her desire to avoid looking "country" she picked brown.

By the sound of it though, if this guy is fighting to get a say in what the blokes are wearing, I somehow doubt he'd be able to convince her to rethink the ladies' garb.

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Random987
Yep, you guessed it. The chocolate brown is part of the overall "autumn" color scheme of the wedding.

So, given that it is a "day" wedding, would a black suit with a white tie (with the groomsmen wearing long black ties), still be inappropriate? If so, what type of suit would be appropriate for a day wedding?

Thanks again. I appreciate the honesty, and I know I am skirting around proper fashion, but we need to reach some type of resolution.

A long white tie is out of place and simply odd. What shirt would you wear with a white tie? White?! Will she compromise on dark suits and a proper wedding pattern (as said before, silver check, black and white small pattern, etc)?

Nonk

Reaction score
I often use the very argument that has been made here, namely, how stupid the wedding pics will look in 20 years if what is in these awful magazines is emulated.

Ok, so the young lady in question does not want to look like she is getting married 'in the English countryside', but that is much better than looking like a reject from the Sopranos.

Tell her to wind her neck in and go in morning suits.

PS, I am quite sure some nice waistcoats could be found that would complement the bridesmaid’s dresses, if it is too late to change them too.

Have a look here:
http://www.pakeman.co.uk/products.asp?cat=27

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have never understood the idea of people dressing exactly the same at weddings. This goes both for the groomsmen and bridesmaids. Give some sort of guideling and then let people do shat they want.

When I hear or read about a bride who wants to control every single thing at her wedding I fear for the mental health of the groom going forward.

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jared
Being formal wear, strollers are completely acceptable in black and probably midnight blue. But more importantly, conventional colour matching says that nothing will clash with chocolate brown as badly as the black she's proposing!

Being day wear, a stroller may be black or charcoal but never midnight blue.

Berntsen

Reaction score
Being from Sweden, I'm amazed you would even consider wearing a black suit and a black or white tie. That's what we wear for funerals! (White tie if a close relative, otherwise black tie.)

Why not try a midnight blue suit with a colourful tie? Or even a brown tie? (Not my choice but if that's what the bride will accept, then why not?)

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The linked London Lounge article is the long answer.

The short answer is that she gets to dress you like a gangster or an Oscar winner if you get to dress her in lederhosen. Is that so hard for women to figure out?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfotunately, she keeps running into the room with more pictures of the black suit/white tie look. It is also on the cover of her most recent wedding magazine. Her comment "if it is such a faux pas, why is everyone wearing this ensemble at these high end weddings".

Because:

A) They do not know any better and
B) They are being PAID to look that way.

Go for a conventional look appropriate to the time of day which should not include tuxedos.

Sator

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, she keeps running into the room with more pictures of the black suit/white tie look. It is also on the cover of her most recent wedding magazine. Her comment "if it is such a faux pas, why is everyone wearing this ensemble at these high end weddings".

karl_lagerfeld.jpg

I wonder whose minions are buying advertising space in magazines like this?

For reasons such as this I wrote this little study on the history of black in men's dress:

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=37179

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How about a nice midnight blue DB for you and dark suits for the groomsmen? As everyone has said, a black suit will look terrible next to those brown dresses, and a white tie will be just awful. Besides, tell her that midnight blue will look better than black next to her dress. It's (often) true.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
Originally Posted by crazyquik
http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/...pic.php?t=6562 Read this article and perhaps show her some pictures from it. Many of these are 50-80 years old and still look great. Compare them to "popular" styles of the 70s and 80s, and then make the point that what is popular in a wedding magazine today is going to look chitzy in 25 years when you're looking back at the photos. She, or everyone in real life that you ask, will eventually come back with the "well it's her day" retort. If she wants to act like a princess, she'll have to put up with a properly dressed prince. And princes don't get married in black suits with white neck ties.
050409wedding02go1.jpg

That is the best article ever written on morning attire, hands down. A very convincing one at that. My wedding will have it.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the James Bond suggestion. I've done the same thing; I have a ton of pictures of him wearing both casual and formal wear and I try to model myself after them. Usually if I see something that I like I print it out and keep it in a binder.

JB

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads