• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande Whall Denim

mr. burns

Reaction score
i was eyeballing APC but now these have me intrigued. considering levi 514 are all i have for a basis of comparison and seeing how slim these are, would i be better off going with the cougar over the grifter?

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ken
^^
Yes, especially considering that APC are worth considerably less than their retail, and Ande Whall is worth considerably more than theirs.

Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Correct.

That's only if a cut Ande makes works for you. For myself, the lack of a straight cut is a deal-breaker.

Also, APC backpocket stitching (or lackthere of) >>> Ande's.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I loved the Ande Whall jeans with the thumbs up back pocket stitching. I wish he'd bring that design back, honestly.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
That's only if a cut Ande makes works for you. For myself, the lack of a straight cut is a deal-breaker. Also, APC backpocket stitching (or lackthere of) >>> Ande's.
Cougar? There is only a slight taper, so as to provide the appearance of a straight cut. I like the new arcuates, but I feel they look better on the butt than they do with the jeans lying flat.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Cougar? There is only a slight taper, so as to provide the appearance of a straight cut.

I like the new arcuates, but I feel they look better on the butt than they do with the jeans lying flat.

I wouldn't call a 1-1.5" taper from knee to hem slight. Plus I have small waist and big thighs, so all but the slightest taper would make me look carrot-top. Suppose I'm a hard fit tho, as even the "relaxed" cuts from many makers fit snug on me.

Ya, I reckon all details are personal preference. But there's a reason APC is so popular, even among people who know better denim. Their cuts are great.

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 on APC cuts being great. The New Standard is probably my favorite cut of all the jeans I know.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
I wouldn't call a 1-1.5" taper from knee to hem slight. Plus I have small waist and big thighs, so all but the slightest taper would make me look carrot-top. Suppose I'm a hard fit tho, as even the "relaxed" cuts from many makers fit snug on me.

Ya, I reckon all details are personal preference. But there's a reason APC is so popular, even among people who know better denim. Their cuts are great.

the idea of a 'cut' for apc is almost meaningless considering how much the denim stretches in all dimensions

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teger
the idea of a 'cut' for apc is almost meaningless considering how much the denim stretches in all dimensions

Doesn't DH 19cm denim stretch just as much?
wink.gif

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Doesn't DH 19cm denim stretch just as much?
wink.gif

no nothing stretches as much as apc, diors are just vanity sized edit: I'm kind of drunk (two mai tais at dinner to dull the suond of screaming family members children) and I want to say that you are one of my least favorite posters xchen and your polo tattoo isn't funny ironic its just straight marsupialed. everything about you is contrived, you make workwear look painfully boring and for some reason your waywt posts depress me on some deep, fundamental level, like you unhinge my faith in a positive outlook for the future of humanity.

skunkworks

Reaction score
edit: I'm kind of drunk (two mai tais at dinner to dull the suond of screaming family members children) and I want to say that you are one of my least favorite posters xchen and your polo tattoo isn't funny ironic its just straight marsupialed. everything about you is contrived, you make workwear look painfully boring and for some reason your waywt posts depress me on some deep, fundamental level, like you unhinge my faith in a positive outlook for the future of humanity.
lol merry christmas. APC cuts are great. But yeah, the denim quality, hardware, and detailing on APCs are not worth $150+. The shallow front pockets also really bug me. They were great as an intro to raw denim, but I ended up moving onto 5EPxSF and PRPS after 6 months of good wear. I'll keep them as a beater pair and for sentiment.

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
the cuts are ok, the NS is decent, imo the Rescue is probably the best, but comparing the denim quality to ande whall (who uses cone mill) is some marsupialed ****. the reason ande whall charges $50 more than APC is becuase he doesn't have to pay for things like lookbooks or advertising or stores and he's not a wholesaler selling to a store that then marks up the product. its like comparing apples and oranges.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the cuts are ok, the NS is decent, imo the Rescue is probably the best, but comparing the denim quality to ande whall (who uses cone mill) is some marsupialed ****. the reason ande whall charges $50 more than APC is becuase he doesn't have to pay for things like lookbooks or advertising or stores and he's not a wholesaler selling to a store that then marks up the product. its like comparing apples and oranges.
huh? edit: ok, makes sense now

dfagdfsh

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
huh?

people are comparing ande whall to apc because the price points are similar, but ande whall is able to sell far higher quality denim (cone mill) on an item with hand construction because he has very little overhead (like APC does) and, I'm sure, pretty small margins. ande whall is unique in that basically all of what you're paying him for is the construction of the jean and the materials it's made of

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Teger, you are a massive tool. Reading your posts proves to me that you don't know jack **** about anything.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
polymshamy