• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ande Whall Denim

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wmmk
Oh man, that sucks. I get the customizations thing, but I feel like $195 is a weird pricepoint. It's more expensive than APC's, making these less attractive as "entry-level" dry jeans. And after APC's it seems like a lot of people want to jump straight to seriously good Japanese denim.
Ande Whall's aren't "entry-level," they're "next-level." The construction of AW is better than any Japanese denim I've come across except for maybe Somet. And the cone mills denim he uses now is pretty damn nice too. At $195, AW might be the most honestly priced jean available.

kit99bar

Reaction score
I have a pair of apc and ande whall and the AWs are much nicer.

Oh man, that sucks. I get the customizations thing, but I feel like $195 is a weird pricepoint. It's more expensive than APC's, making these less attractive as "entry-level" dry jeans. And after APC's it seems like a lot of people want to jump straight to seriously good Japanese denim.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by evilgeniusdan
Ande Whall's aren't "entry-level," they're "next-level."
The construction of AW is better than any Japanese denim I've come across except for maybe Somet. And the cone mills denim he uses now is pretty damn nice too. At $195, AW might be the most honestly priced jean available.

Oh, wow. I honestly didn't know they were that good. So would these be a much better buy than, say, Flat Heads or Imperials?

Also, I know it's off topic, but how hard would it be to replace the pocket linings on jeans with your own fabric? I rather like that idea...

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pocket linings are usually riveted on, so you can't easily replace them.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, wow. I honestly didn't know they were that good. So would these be a much better buy than, say, Flat Heads or Imperials?

Also, I know it's off topic, but how hard would it be to replace the pocket linings on jeans with your own fabric? I rather like that idea...

perhaps a step above imperials - i had a pair of imperials for a while and while they were nice, I was kind of kicking myself for not getting a pair of AW's because they seemed so much more detailed and interesting.

I think flat heads cater to a different kind of denim addiction (read: addiction), and they're at a different price point too.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ain't nothing entry level about ande whall jeans opr ande whall.

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
perhaps a step above imperials - i had a pair of imperials for a while and while they were nice, I was kind of kicking myself for not getting a pair of AW's because they seemed so much more detailed and interesting. I think flat heads cater to a different kind of denim addiction (read: addiction), and they're at a different price point too.
Ande Whalls are pretty much superior to Imperial in every way. You're right about Flat Head though, they're apples and oranges. FH denim does have really nice fade properties though.

wmmk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robertorex
perhaps a step above imperials - i had a pair of imperials for a while and while they were nice, I was kind of kicking myself for not getting a pair of AW's because they seemed so much more detailed and interesting.

I think flat heads cater to a different kind of denim addiction (read: addiction), and they're at a different price point too.

Hmm... In what sense do FH and AW cater to different crowds?

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean that flat head just has a different ethos to them as a jeans maker. They don't do necessarily for the best construction or toughest denim (although their construction is in every way quite superb). Their number one draw is the intense contrasting fade and character that their jeans develop over time.

When you get a pair of Ande Whalls, you're paying for the personal attention to detail that ande puts into every one of his jeans, the meticulous blending of details (selvage flys and coinpockets, hidden rivets) and basically the ground-up made to order nature of his whole operation.

I find it hard to explain, but evilgeniusdan gets it too. They just cater to different interests.

greens11

Reaction score
After reading through this thread, I'm getting the idea that AW are quite a bit better than APCs. I bought my first pair of dry denim about a month ago (Nudies SJDJ) and am loving everything about them...except that I bought them and not another brand. For my next pair of jeans, I was thinking about getting some APC NS both because of the price and "quality" that I've been reading about. Are the AW worth the additional ~$50?

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
^^
Yes, especially considering that APC are worth considerably less than their retail, and Ande Whall is worth considerably more than theirs.

Listi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a pair of Ande Whall Rakers but they're too small (exchanging for Grifters) and they just sit on my desk taunting me. I haven't gotten to wear them yet (tried on once) but they look just amazing.

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
basically, when you buy AWs over APCs, you're getting:

- personal attention to detail from ande
- better denim
- details like more selvage edges, hidden rivets, donut buttons, an actual leather patch
- more fits
- no stretch armstrong stretching (better denim x2)
- a jean that the discerning hipster/hypebeast will NOT be wearing (seriously, I know kids who know nothing about denim starting to beast over APCs)

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DallasCassin