• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

An Honest Question about Shoes

Mr. Soprano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by NAMOR
eBay. You can easily pick up a brand new pair of $465 Brooks Brothers shoes in the $150-200 range in you are patient. A lot of it comes from the BB clearance center so once you id the seller, just keep checking back for new inventory. I recently saw a new pair of brown medallion captoes sell for under $200

Do you have any links to some good sellers I should follow?

enolasfinest

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Soprano
This is my first post, and in order to keep a long story short, I am a 29 year-old graduate student that interns at a professional clinic.

I live in the south, but I abhor the southern laziness that is the polo shirt, slacks and slip-ons look. I don't try to fit in, but I also cannot afford the best there is on a student's salary.

I am slowly becoming a shoe buff, and in the midst of re-organizing my shoe wardrobe, I need a classy pair of both brown and black shoes. I find Florsheim to be right around my price range and I am looking at these two.

These are at the absolute TOP of my price range.

12065-001.jpg

The Millport in Black ($140)

and

12031-200.jpg

The Otavio in Brown ($165)

Now, my question is posed to you. Can you recommend these to me, or should I be looking at something else?

Also, combined with the ones below, should I be looking for a nice loafer as well?

For a little more information, here is what I am working with currently
17166-01.jpg

12053-261.jpg

The above were both Christmas gifts
12a08255c4.jpeg

converse-chuck-taylor-all-star-low-sneakers-white-size-437_299659.jpeg

Dude, you'll be fine with either of them. Yeah, there not Alden's or AE's but hell, you're not paying that $$$ either. Also, the Florsheims will be enough to get you through until you're making money. I have vintage Florsheims (USA made gunboats), italian made Florsheims (imperials), and indian made Florsheims (imperials), along with AE MacNeil's and others. The current indian made Florsheims aren't great, but they're still better than what you can find at most malls in the U.S. They're ok enough to tide you over until you can buy AE's, C&J's, AE's etc. You have a good point in that you don't have time as some would suggest to scour thrift stores and ebay just so you can say you wear AE's over Florsheims. Good luck!

Mr. Soprano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by enolasfinest
Dude, you'll be fine with either of them. Yeah, there not Alden's or AE's but hell, you're not paying that $$$ either. Also, the Florsheims will be enough to get you through until you're making money. I have vintage Florsheims (USA made gunboats), italian made Florsheims (imperials), and indian made Florsheims (imperials), along with AE MacNeil's and others. The current indian made Florsheims aren't great, but they're still better than what you can find at most malls in the U.S. They're ok enough to tide you over until you can buy AE's, C&J's, AE's etc. You have a good point in that you don't have time as some would suggest to scour thrift stores and ebay just so you can say you wear AE's over Florsheims. Good luck!

thanks!

And thanks to everyone for the input. It makes a newbie less afraid to post here in the future.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a shoe ticker atop this page. Click it. Scroll to the bottom and click the view all xxxx items on ebay. Then set $150 as your max price and select your size range (10-10.5). Set up an alert that will give you daily results for all shoes that fit your criteria.

You may wish to delete some of the brand names. You may wish to only include new shoes, but I would leave that field blank because some shoes are sold as used and literally just have shop wear.

Keep checking it and you will find some nice stuff within your budget.

Here's an example for all items including used shoes.
Here's one of just new shoes.
Here's one with just buy it now items.

I would do the same for ebay UK but your size range should be 9-10.

spitfirees20

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Soprano
12065-001.jpg

17166-01.jpg

I'm confused. If you already own the second, why would you buy the first? You don't need two pairs of nearly identical black shoes. Eventually you might want a black loafer, but that's about it for black shoes. Take the money you would have spent on both of these pairs of shoes, and if you save about $25 more you can get almost any Allen Edmonds model you want in brown, which will be a better quality and more versatile shoe. For a basic do-everything shoe, I'd go with either the Park or Fifth Avenue.

Mr. Soprano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by spitfirees20
I'm confused. If you already own the second, why would you buy the first? You don't need two pairs of nearly identical black shoes. Eventually you might want a black loafer, but that's about it for black shoes. Take the money you would have spent on both of these pairs of shoes, and if you save about $25 more you can get almost any Allen Edmonds model you want in brown, which will be a better quality and more versatile shoe. For a basic do-everything shoe, I'd go with either the Park or Fifth Avenue.

Well, the first one has less brogue-ing in the cap toe, which might lend itself to a different occasion. Its not my immediate need, but something i was looking at nonetheless

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads