• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AMERICAN TRENCH - OFFICIAL AFFILIATE THREAD

hammerhead_corvette

Reaction score
Our first factory visit was in the High Point, NC area, which is known for furniture. We were visiting a hosiery mill, which was a new manufacturing partner for us and our first ever meet and greet. It kinda blew us away, it was the biggest and most advanced hosiery mill I've ever been in. They have 1000 machines and over 350 people work there. They knit for some huge companies (e.g. Walmart sized folks) and had the latest machinery. They also had some really really smart people working there, mechanics and engineers who created their custom machinery. The management team and the owner showed us around. One thing that struck me was how management knew every line worker. Everyone was working hard but there was a real team / family business mentality. Maybe the only bummer about the entire visit was they had so much custom machinery that we were not allowed to take any pictures of hardly anything.

I did press for several pics. this is Chad, the chief mechanic. he has been working in mills since he was 16, he told me. He had a pretty cool shop coat on with weird hosiery tools sticking out of the pockets. his bottom pockets were so ripped up that he had stapled them back together with these crazy big metal staples. Chad is a bit of a mechanical wizard and had a bunch of custom machines and equipment that he built in use at the mill. Most recently he machined and welded custom racks that were then copied at scale for the entire mill so they could feed yarn to the machines more efficiently.

for a hosiery mill, this place was spotless, no mess or dirt was found anywhere. there was a real sense of pride in the work and they were fanatical about quality. They make a military-spec wool sock on double cylinder true rib machines that we are going to make our own version of. It has a compression band and cushioned foot but isn't too thick. It's pretty badass, so stay turned for that.

View attachment 1797731
View attachment 1797732

View attachment 1797733

I was allowed to take one photos of some of the management and sales team (and Chad the mechanic) on the knitting floor. You can at least get a small feel for the size of this place. this was one of three gigantic buildings we toured, of which the complex had 5 such buildings, so we didn't even see it all. Some of these folks have been in hosiery all of their lives and even came to work at the mill via family members that were there before them.

View attachment 1797734
I love that you post this kind of stuff. I have been trying to mostly American made products and this helps remind me why I chose make it a priority in my life.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If you didn't get a chance already, check out the video we made from our visit to North Carolina factories. Video made by @A.T. Hamlin with narration by yours truly. It's a great video!
also, we have a restock of OE shorts (from our new Original Equipment sportswear line). Made with love in Phila, PA. Restock of navy, vegas gold, royal, and red. NEW COLORS: Black and Pine green.

black_webhi.jpg
pine_webhi.jpg

Attachments

• black_webhi.jpg
    black_webhi.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 6
  • pine_webhi.jpg
    pine_webhi.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 7

MaE

Reaction score
Hi AT,

I'm in the game for a few pair of socks and would like to know: would your "solids", "mono-stripe" or even the "mil-spec sport socks" work with loafers or are they too thick?

Thanks in advance!

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi AT,

I'm in the game for a few pair of socks and would like to know: would your "solids", "mono-stripe" or even the "mil-spec sport socks" work with loafers or are they too thick?

Thanks in advance!

I wear The Solids in Crew + Quarter Crew with loafers frequently. Both the Solids and the Mono Stripes are the same body, same weight, same thickness. They will definitely slide comfortably into loafers.

I can't speak from experience with the Mil-Spec.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi AT,

Thanks in advance!

solids and mono stripe are 100% loafer ready. i recommend natural over bleach white. i think the natural look is just a little more interesting.

I think milspec is too thick for loafers. the foot has a thick cushion that doesn't really compress that much. they are meant for boots or trail sneakers or whatever name the outdoor performance world calls "sneakers you hike in."

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Okay S.F. - Father's Day is fast approaching. My dad's a pretty particular guy - sometimes I'd get a soft smile "thanks" when gifting a tie or a sleeve of personalized golf balls growing up. Last year I broke through with the Negroni Book from W.M. Brown - this was, to say the least, the most successful Father's Day gift i've ever given.

We put together a small collection for Father's Day that we'll make live this weekend - but take a peak today or tomorrow before it goes live.

I'm attaching descriptions of 3 of my faves - a Knit Polo and two hats that will be fresh textures for anyone, let alone your pop.

Let me know if you have any questions.
dadsfavoriteshirt.jpg historicallybluecollar.jpg corduroy.jpg

Last edited:

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was previously familiar with your socks, but this thread inspired me to take a look at your other offerings.
I'm really intrigued by your made to order items, I dig this model of manufacturing and its ability to eliminate waste and excess inventory. How long have you been offering these MTO items? Has it been successful so far? (If you don't mind me asking)

fatsu

Reaction score
If you didn't get a chance already, check out the video we made from our visit to North Carolina factories. Video made by @A.T. Hamlin with narration by yours truly. It's a great video!

also, we have a restock of OE shorts (from our new Original Equipment sportswear line). Made with love in Phila, PA. Restock of navy, vegas gold, royal, and red. NEW COLORS: Black and Pine green.

View attachment 1800031 View attachment 1800030
Question about the mesh shorts, are they double layer? Do they have an inner lining (like swim trunks)?

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question about the mesh shorts, are they double layer? Do they have an inner lining (like swim trunks)?

They do not have an inner lining like swim trunks. But now I'm curious - is that something you'd like to see in shorts in the future?

A.T. Hamlin

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
We're sampling Sweatpants for FW22.

We've done sweats in the past - but this fall we're looking to go full custom.

A few years ago, when we first decided to dive into sweatpants, we weren't totally sure about how they'd sell. So for SS20 we bought blanks and dyed them. They were pretty good despite being almost Gildan-level- basic patterns in less-than loud colors. We did the same for SS21, again in cool colors (they were Sky Blue, Creamsicle and Cotton Candy). But for FW21 we needed to break out of our shell a little bit. We did a hybrid custom-blank type, cut and sewn in Detroit. The colors, Indigo, Yam and Raven, were smash hits. It felt good to sell something that we'd tried a few different times in a few different iterations. But still, we wanted to do something more original, more our own.

For FW22, for the first time, we're doing fully custom sweats. From the ground up, this pattern will be keyed in on the details, down to the stitch. We're stoked about the waistband - we think this will look awesome once it takes to dye, as well.

I've attached a photo of one of our samples, to ask this question: what kind of cuff do ya'll prefer at the bottom of your sweat pant? We've done a longer, ribbed jogger-type before, as well as the elastic, scrunched-ankle type (more like the 80's gym-set). In general, any feedback on the waistband and cuff? Any colors you'd like to see? We'll have more to add to this thread about these sweats - including pictures/samples/questions about hoodies and crewnecks.

Attachments

• 3-sweatpant copy.jpg
    3-sweatpant copy.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2-sweatpant copy.jpg
    2-sweatpant copy.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 1-sweatpant copy.jpg
    1-sweatpant copy.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 67

fatsu

Reaction score
They do not have an inner lining like swim trunks. But now I'm curious - is that something you'd like to see in shorts in the future?
I think opinions are pretty split when it comes to lining. Personally, yes, I like to have the lining, so I don't have to wear underwear, which keeps me a little bit cooler in those dog days of summer.

jah786

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

It is two layers of mesh. the mesh is a medium weight. but there is no liner like swim trunks. I personally have been wearing vegas gold at home every day now. I love the color. For reasons of absurd vanity I don't wear shorts to the office (of any kind) but all male employees wear them to office other than me. Color selections vary but I'm seeing vegas gold, pine, royal, red, and black. One guy went nuts on the braids and has every braid color; he wears them with oversized tee-shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads