• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

altering a peak label into cuttaway at home?

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just received a wide spread replacemente collar from Finamore so I realiced I could alter my peak collar shirts into wide spread just cutting the collar points and then resew the border to get the same finish. I inclose a picture with the actual collar with my finger , to show that a wide spread can be get. This is my actual peak collar Do you agree? This is what I´d like. Thanks

Matt S

Reaction score
What is a peak collar? It looks like you have a wide spread collar. You want to re-cut it to a cutaway? Where will you put the collar stays? You'd be much better off just buying some shirts with cutaway collars.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Matt S
What is a peak collar? It looks like you have a wide spread collar. You want to re-cut it to a cutaway? Where will you put the collar stays? You'd be much better off just buying some shirts with cutaway collars.

A peak collar is not my actual shirt? I want to alter it to the second picture, just cutting the peaks as I put
in the second picture.

I don´t need the stays, the collar is already too strong. Yes I should have bought them but I got too much with this collar that would like to alter.

haganah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, you are my favorite new weirdo on SF. But please don't do this.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haganah
Just an FYI, you are my favorite new weirdo on SF. But please don't do this.

Excuse me????
eh.gif

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you are asking questions, then I would not recommend doing this.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Newcomer
If you are asking questions, then I would not recommend doing this.

But why not? I´ve been comparing my collars and they are same but the peaks. If I cut that I´ll have a wide spread as I´d like, just 3mm less than a stock Finamore with already the wide spread one.

Please tell me.

Thanks

asdf

Reaction score
There is no question in your original post except "do you agree?"

Do we agree with what?

Can you, personally, alter it? I have no idea.

Should you? Well, that depends on whether or not you can.

BillyMaysHere!

Reaction score
a) No such thing as a peak collar, you may be confused with peak lapels? That shirt collar looks like a medium spread to me.

b) Don't do it. Unless you regularly starch your shirt collar to be as rigid as thick card, you won't be able to get your collar to look right without collar stays. Surely a new shirt doesn't cost too much.

c)You can get the entire collar replaced instead, though you would probably have to either spend pointless hours rumaging through swatches to find a perfectly matching fabric or settle for a white contrast collar.

Hope this helps.

CutandSew

Reaction score
I'd have to agree with most of the opinions here. Changing the collar is not a good idea.....especially by yourself, at least that's what it sounds like you're planning on doing. Even a professional would have reservations about doing it because is will involve a decent amount of seam ripping and the result may not be what you expect.

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to these idiots. Look at their post counts.

It is perfectly okay to cut the point collar to a spread collar. Just make sure you do it properly by using a seamripper and measuring the proper seam allowance. You will have to tuck the edges of the fabric back under and pin things down good before going at it with a sewing machine. Do it nice and slow and leave the pins in just until the sewing machine gets to the pin, then remove the pin. Plan your work and things will come out okay. As for collar stays, who needs them? Spread collars roll and don't need to be really straight.

I've done this to many of my shirts. I've gotten so good at it that I've even successfully turned a spread collar into a point collar. It is definitely possible.

When you are done, please post photos. Good luck.

SpallaCamiccia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by asdf
There is no question in your original post except "do you agree?"

Do we agree with what?

Can you, personally, alter it? I have no idea.

Should you? Well, that depends on whether or not you can.

Sorry for my English and thank you very much for your answer and lesson. Yes I meant Should I.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by BillyMaysHere!
a) No such thing as a peak collar, you may be confused with peak lapels? That shirt collar looks like a medium spread to me.

b) Don't do it. Unless you regularly starch your shirt collar to be as rigid as thick card, you won't be able to get your collar to look right without collar stays. Surely a new shirt doesn't cost too much.

c)You can get the entire collar replaced instead, though you would probably have to either spend pointless hours rumaging through swatches to find a perfectly matching fabric or settle for a white contrast collar.

Hope this helps.

Yes I was confused due to transtation, it was medium spread but as it has " peaks " I transated that way. Thanks again for your time.

I already got a white contrast one and it´s not for saving 200 $ on a Finamore it´s just because in my mind it seems and easy task. Just wanted to know more opinions.

But I must say that I remove the collar stays ( you mean the white plastic , right ? ) in all my wide spread ones they fit very well instead fue to the strong linen of my collars.

Originally Posted by CutandSew
I'd have to agree with most of the opinions here. Changing the collar is not a good idea.....especially by yourself, at least that's what it sounds like you're planning on doing. Even a professional would have reservations about doing it because is will involve a decent amount of seam ripping and the result may not be what you expect.

Well I know to sew a bit , not for a coat ,well.
laugh.gif

sonlegoman;3158380 said:
Don't listen to these idiots. Look at their post counts.

It is perfectly okay to cut the point collar to a spread collar. Just make sure you do it properly by using a seamripper and measuring the proper seam allowance. You will have to tuck the edges of the fabric back under and pin things down good before going at it with a sewing machine. Do it nice and slow and leave the pins in just until the sewing machine gets to the pin, then remove the pin. Plan your work and things will come out okay. As for collar stays, who needs them? Spread collars roll and don't need to be really straight.

I've done this to many of my shirts. I've gotten so good at it that I've even successfully turned a spread collar into a point collar. It is definitely possible.

When you are done, please post photos. Good luck.[/QUOTE

NICE!!! That is what I had in my mind, even my mother which is an expert on sewing told that I would have to tuck again the reverse of the collar edge , like where the actual stays lies.

But actually the medium spread and my wide spread like collar pattern were almost the same , just in the medium spread " peak " one had a bit more fabric on the " peaks " and the wide spread has 2 mm more doing a beatiful curve. Mine won´t be as beatiful but will do the job.

Could you please post pictures of one of your jobs please?

Thanks for your answer

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonlegoman
So where did the extra material come from to fill the gap in a spread collar? And how did you finish it such that there were no seams and obvious signs of adjustment/manipulation in the collar after completion?

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
So where did the extra material come from to fill the gap in a spread collar? And how did you finish it such that there were no seams and obvious signs of adjustment/manipulation in the collar after completion?

facepalm.gif

sonlegoman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe

Sorry, I didn't mean to say I turned a spread collar to a point collar. I meant to say I turned a spread collar into a sport coat. Sorry for the confusion.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theanexscam