1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 7: A Made-to-Measure suit from Lanieri

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Made-to-measure suit from Lanieri. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen edmonds new shoe styles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by JohnMS, Aug 2, 2004.

1. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

I'm curious, this is a current AE shoe, but has AE offered the following shoe style in the past? [​IMG] Too bad it's only available in the merlot, black, chestnut colors. Â With the right antiquing, perhaps this would be a really good-looking shoe. Has anyone see this one in person? I called the LaSalle store in Chicago to ask about the shoe. First question I asked is if the shoe is a wholecut. Of course the salesperson asked me what a wholecut was. Perhaps I'd better call somewhere else.

2. TomW

TomW Senior Member

Damn nice shoe. I've not seen anything quite like it from A-E before. Chestnut, properly antiqued, would look spectacular. I'm going to have to drop by the A-E store in SF this coming weekend to check them out.

They certainly appear to be wholecut, as there are no seams that I can see...

3. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

I think you're right. A chestnut with some custom antiquing might look quite nice. Maybe I could send some $$$ to Mr. Harris to work his magic on a pair.

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Stylish Dinosaur

Looks like a space ship. Any second, the Enterprise will swoop into that picture and start firing phasers.

5. MPS

MPS Senior Member

It would be fair to say that those shoes like a camp imitation of Ticker's "Cornish pasty" whole-cuts.

6. JohnMS

JohnMS Senior Member

I haven't seen AE perfing so large in the past. I understand these are made on the narrow #5 last, hence the spaceship look.

I wonder if Mr. Stollenwerk has been monitoring this forum and decided to give the wholecut a go.

7. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior Member

It's a post-modernist brogue for the ironic hipster investment-banker. edited to add; They are nice if you're into that American shape though.

8. faustian bargain

faustian bargain Distinguished Member

would've been even better if they'd just printed or embossed the broguing... or even even better, make the shoe in canvas and silkscreen a full brogue on it. like those t-shirts with the tuxedo printed on. [​IMG] no but seriously...i guess they might be okay in certain situations (mainly ones that call for irony)...i'd just rather see the shoe with no broguing...or maybe just the toe medallion. /andrew - modernist, not post-modernist

9. marc237

marc237 Distinguished Member

Maybe, but this ageing civil rights lawyer would be willing to wear them.

10. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Senior Member

Or just get broguing tatooed onto your feet and go barefoot.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the idea of these shoes. I'd prefer this style in a more chiseled, English shape though.

11. Renault78law

Renault78law Distinguished Member

I've been looking to add a pair of wholecuts to my collection. Anyone have a favorite maker?

12. Phil

Phil Senior Member

Edward Green Newbury.