• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds equivalvent for Women?

Gsin

Reaction score
My wife continues to buy cheap glued shoes that wear out after six months. They look passable out of the box, but like crap everyday thereafter. She mainly wears loafers, plain black or brown.

I want to get her some well made shoes (i.e. not glued) at a reasonable price point a la Allen Edmonds.

Ideas for brands?

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you check out the C&J catalog at PLal.com, you'll see that they make a couple of women's loafers - for about $340. Born makes (I think) stitched shoes, and they're comfortable (at least the men's shoes are), but it can be hard to find styles that are not totally informal. DSW carries some born. Also, quickly checking theshoemart.com I saw that Cole Hahn and Mephisto make some loafers.

terutt

Reaction score
As well, Salvatore Ferragamo makes some loafer style shoes for women, that retail at about 310-350 USD, one style in their SS08 collection and several in their icon collection.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd look at brooks brothers as well

Ricardo Malocchio

Reaction score
Ok... are there any attractive and stylish shoes for women that also have quality construction?

I've seen some Ferragamo that I like, but as many of you have noted when it comes to womens' shoes of quality.... it's mostly loafers. Color me odd, but I prefer something, I don't know, sexy and attractive on a woman's foot.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand what you're looking for, but I'd like to try and help....

Stuart Weitzman makes high quality women's shoes that are high-heeled, etc. BB actually has some very nice pumps, mary janes, etc. as well, as does ferragamo....All those brands are reputable, but I don't believe women's high-heeled shoes are ever welted...it would undermine the sleekness and I think the underlying sturdiness would make it difficult to get such a drastic curve in the shape.

Anybody know something different?

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't think you or her are going to find something comparable. Women's fashion is much more fleeting than the men's style that is discussed here. Most of us gravitate towards classic, timeless stlye that can be worn now, 50 years in the past, or 50 years in the future. Allen Edmonds and many other shoes those of us here wear are well-constructed, because they are meant to last a significant period of time, as this classic men's style does not change. However, women's fashion, on the whole, is so fickle. Their styles change season to season, as you can notice just from walking down the street. (Note all the woman in their motorcycle boots with their jeans tucked in this season.) There's just no market for women for the quality-constructed items, as there is for men. The items are more trendy and only meant to last for a season or so.

My girlfriend will try to purchase high quality shoes for the few classic styles that will always be in fashion. For everything else, she realizes that by the time the shoes fall apart, they will probably be out of fashion anyway. It's frustrating for her, as she doesn't like shopping, and foreign to me, as I can justify high prices knowing my shoes will last years.

Stuart Weitzmann seems to be good for quality, simply styled shoes at not outrageous prices. But I've been with my girlfriend toreturn a pair that fell apart after a few wearings.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gravati or Paraboot make welted wonen's shoes. Some are nice, some are kinda "granny". My wife likes the Alden full strap loafer in #8 for casual wear. (Really, a loafer is a loafer from the men's/women's perspective). I keep hearing that Weston is going to come out with a women's line and G&G is going to have one in about 3 years if they stick to plan.

emptym

Reaction score
Skyvalet has some nice welted women's shoes by Carmina.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Trust me, the glued shoes are better. You don't want your wife's lshoes to make her look like a lesbian, and any of these welted women's shoes will create that effect. Just bite the bullet and spend the money when they wear out. You, and your sex life, will be better off for it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I agree that sex appeal trumps construction quality every time, but I wonder if it's truly impossible to make a sleek, shaped women's shoe with a welted sole. While dated stylistically, photos of old Lobbs for women seem to show that very dramatic shaping is possible using traditional techniques.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I seem to recall reading somewhere that blake stitching was invented for women's shoes.

King Francis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Trust me, the glued shoes are better. You don't want your wife's lshoes to make her look like a lesbian, and any of these welted women's shoes will create that effect. Just bite the bullet and spend the money when they wear out. You, and your sex life, will be better off for it.

+1

My only exception to this is riding boots. Those can look sexy as hell but for obvious reasons aren't everyday footwear for most women.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads