• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for advice on dressing for first office job

Max727

Reaction score
Hello All,

I just graduated college, and I’m starting at my first office job for an entry level sales position. I need to get some clothes for it, so I’m looking for some advice on what to wear. The environment is more on the casual side of business casual, so I don’t want to dress up too much and stand out in my entry level role. I was thinking the classic polo, chinos, and some kind of shoe. My main concern right now is with the shoes. I’m not a fan of the new hybrid dress shoes with sneaker soles, so I’m thinking about getting something more traditional with real leather. I have some Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenues that I bought a couple months ago, but they are just not comfortable shoes. By the end of the day my little toes are destroyed. I had them fitted in store, so did they just get me the wrong shoes? Are there any classic leather dress shoes that are comfortable?

What style shoes would go well with polo and chinos? I was wearing white sneakers for a while, but it looked odd because it didn’t match my belt color, and I don’t think a white belt would be a good look lol.

Any advice is appreciated.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede oxfords, loafers, Chelseas, split toe derbies. Lots of shoes work with that. I don't like dress shoe/hybrid soles either, most here don't. But dressier sneakers in different colors, like the kind found on Archibald of London work great.
Consider some knit polos. I find them more comfortable, and they look a step up from the normal piqué.
Also, girls ( there may be some ) dig watches. Not all that many guys wear them. A decent one will subtly spiff up a casual outfit.

Max727

Reaction score
Suede oxfords, loafers, Chelseas, split toe derbies. Lots of shoes work with that. I don't like dress shoe/hybrid soles either, most here don't. But dressier sneakers in different colors, like the kind found on Archibald of London work great.
Consider some knit polos. I find them more comfortable, and they look a step up from the normal piqué.
Also, girls ( there may be some ) dig watches. Not all that many guys wear them. A decent one will subtly spiff up a casual outfit.

Thanks for the info! For the dressier sneakers, what colors would you go for? I have some nice white sneakers like those already, but have no idea what color belt would go with that. I don’t own a white belt and I also don’t think a white belt would look good. 😄

Also, any good loafer brands would recommend? Not break the bank necessarily, but nicer and comfortable.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imagik

I have a bunch of pairs like these, although mine are mainly white soled, not gum.
I have this color, plus white, navy, dark green, blue suede, Horween chrome excel #8 which is like oxblood.
Loafers, take a look at Meermin on the lower end cost side, and TLB Mallorca if you want to step up another level price/quality.
I also just bought a couple pairs of GATs from Beckett Simonon in a couple different colors for what I think is a great price for what you get. They are in the style of the Maison Margela that are around $500.

Search the web, find stuff you like, and sign up for emails. These companies run sales all the time.

KOz

Reaction score
I was thinking the classic polo, chinos, and some kind of shoe.
Need to be careful with this combo, since a lot of people can end up looking like they're wearing a Walmart uniform.

My main concern right now is with the shoes. I’m not a fan of the new hybrid dress shoes with sneaker soles, so I’m thinking about getting something more traditional with real leather. I have some Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenues that I bought a couple months ago, but they are just not comfortable shoes. By the end of the day my little toes are destroyed. I had them fitted in store, so did they just get me the wrong shoes? Are there any classic leather dress shoes that are comfortable?
This happens way too often - someone gets fitted with the wrong shoe and then form the opinion that leather shoes are uncomfortable. Most likely you were fitted with the wrong shoe. It's interesting since I was under the impression that Alen Edmond offers wide shoe models.

When trying shoes on, be very critical of even the smallest discomforts, since you don't know how you'll feel over an entire days worth of walking. It can help trying shoes on in the evening, when the foot is a bit more swollen from movement.

Most people getting into dress shoes for the first time suffer, because the toe shape of the shoe does not accommodate the natural toe spread. The toe spread changes as your foot deforms when wearing narrow shoes over time. If you don't care for that, try finding wider fitting shoes. Remember that the shoe size is merely a rough indicator of fit - the shoe last makes a huge difference.

Fifth Avenues are also too formal for the sort of outfit you're trying to put together, in my opinion. Focusing on derbies in suede or textured leather will work a lot better.

For the dressier sneakers, what colors would you go for? I have some nice white sneakers like those already, but have no idea what color belt would go with that. I don’t own a white belt and I also don’t think a white belt would look good.
For white sneakers, don't worry about matching your belt. For both jeans and chinos - either match trouser colour or brown.

I don't think "women dig watches" is great general advice. The vast majority of people will never notice or comment on your watch, unless it stands out like a sore thumb. Additionally, splitting up your budget even further to accommodate a watch is not a great investment.

Loafers, take a look at Meermin on the lower end cost side
Meermin loafers are definitely on the narrower side.

Last edited:

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I just graduated college, and I’m starting at my first office job for an entry level sales position. I need to get some clothes for it, so I’m looking for some advice on what to wear. The environment is more on the casual side of business casual, so I don’t want to dress up too much and stand out in my entry level role. I was thinking the classic polo, chinos, and some kind of shoe.
You're on the right track with chinos - you can wear polos or button down.
My main concern right now is with the shoes. I’m not a fan of the new hybrid dress shoes with sneaker soles, so I’m thinking about getting something more traditional with real leather. I have some Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenues that I bought a couple months ago, but they are just not comfortable shoes. By the end of the day my little toes are destroyed. I had them fitted in store, so did they just get me the wrong shoes? Are there any classic leather dress shoes that are comfortable?
As with others I dislike dress tennis shoes. Now, I also have a lot of AE shoes as well as a number of other models. What I will say is AE lasts can be very uncomfortable. For example, in US sizing I wear 9.5D on many shoes. However on the 5 last a 9.5E fits me great. So even though I measure a perfect D, the 'E' in that last fits me better - other AE lasts, a 'D' works. The only way I found it out was the store actually had both a D and an E. As others stated though, don't get thrown off - your current shoes don't fit - time to cut bait. You can go back to the store and try a 9.5E, 10D in the same last and see if they fit better. However I would also say a fifth avenue is a bit on the dressy side for chinos. I would stick to leather shoes you can try on for this reason. Shoes you have to order from the internet carry risk that they won't fit you well. For example, I have several shoes/boots from Trickers. The last for the one pair of shoes is a bit wide so I have to wear thicker socks or it's too loose - fine because it's a casual shoe. But it would be a fail for a shoe I wore to work for that reason.
What style shoes would go well with polo and chinos? I was wearing white sneakers for a while, but it looked odd because it didn’t match my belt color, and I don’t think a white belt would be a good look lol.

Any advice is appreciated.
In shoes: loafers, plain toe blutchers, derbies. Various leathers/suedes. But you'll want to coordinate shoe color with outfits (and belt). So, for example - let's say navy Chinos - black, brown, burgundy colors work great. Grey chinos - now you're in the black or burgundy.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You will find that leather dress shoes soften with age and, assuming proper fit, should not be uncomfortable in normal daily walking. If they were nothing but abject misery, who would ever wear them?

That said, your job’s casual style may be more suited to loafers or suede desert boots, both of which will look smarter than sneakers.

rjc149

Reaction score
I would recommend Clark's desert boots -- comfortable, versatile, dressy enough for a business-casual outfit (especially in a casual-leaning work environment) and affordable.

Allen Edmonds are a bit more 'advanced.' They take both a good fit in-store, and some discomfort when you break them in. Knowing when a new dress shoe is appropriately snug and will soften over time, and when it's simply too tight, takes some experience and some wasted money. Traditional leather dress shoes with a stacked leather heel and cork footbed will never feel like sneakers, so that should not be your benchmark for comfort. Dress shoes can be comfortable -- for dress shoes.

With that in mind, it sounds like your 5th Aves are too narrow. The 65 last is their most popular, but it runs a little narrow. I have both Park and 5th Aves in EEE width, and they still needed some aggressive stretching and a lot of wearing to make them reasonably comfortable. They're an investment of money, time, and pain that most early 20-somethings don't want to bother with if they don't have to. But, you get a shoe that doesn't require replacement for many, many years, so they're more economical in the long run.

A key consideration -- are you wearing proper dress socks with your 5th Aves? Make sure you're wearing appropriate dress socks before you decide to abandon them -- but don't be afraid to abandon them.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads