• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Byron factory second

CorneliusP

Reaction score
The Allen Edmonds factory outlet in Freeport, ME has a wall of discontinued models on sale. Prices are between $109 and $129 or so.

I found 1 pair that I liked in my size: the Byron in Dark Brown. Perfect fit, pretty nice shoe, no defects on the outside. Upon further inspection, I did notice that the upper part of the quarter near the top lace felt like it was bubbling a little bit on the inside. From the outside it looked fine, but the inside material was disconnected on both sides in an area of about 3/4 square inch each.

Is this bubbling a serious issue? It is located on the inside of the circled spot in the picture below, and isn't visible from outside.

I think they were on the low end of the price range at $109. It seems like a damn good deal to me if the bubbling is an easy fix or isn't a problem. What do you think?

Mexicorn

Reaction score
Don't mean to highjack, but does this store ship, or is there a number to call to check stock?

I've only tried on AE shoes once, but I'm willing to take a chance no size for ~$125...

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I own two of these.

Timeless Fashion

Reaction score
Factory second are supposed to have some imperfections and so they are priced accordingly. You have to decide for yourself, how much savings is this slight imperfection worth to you. If you don't mind paying a little extra, you can return them and look for factory first discontinued models.

Lawman

Reaction score
Almost all of my AEs are seconds, and the defects are virtually invisible to the eyes of most. It requires very close inspection to find them. Some defects are more obvious, but I just pass on those.

ferguscan

Reaction score
If you can get a pair in 10.5E, can you please swing them my way?

Thanks very much,

Stuart

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mexicorn
Don't mean to highjack, but does this store ship, or is there a number to call to check stock? I've only tried on AE shoes once, but I'm willing to take a chance no size for ~$125...
Check their Ebay store for seconds. They run around $129 for their nicer shoes.

CorneliusP

Reaction score
I bought them
bigstar[1].gif

I think the store personnel mentioned having a 13E in either the Byron or Dryden(?) model.

and since I am such a magnanimous chap, I googled the contact info.

Allen Edmonds
32 Main Street
Freeport, Maine 04032
USA
Phone: 207-865-6222

PS the saleswoman was slammin'
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads