• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

Looking to try a 3-last shoe. I've heard that sizing down 1/2 size from what you wear in last 5 is typical. Anyone have experience with this?

I have tried the Parkway, Larchmont and Harrison in my normal size 11B. The fit was a little roomy in all three both lengthwise and volume wise so I tried sizing down to 10.5B and the fit is spot on with the Parkway (the only style I kept of the three, for now). Sizing down was a little tight at first but after settling into the corkbed the fit is awesome--probably the best fit of the AE's I have had.

I've never had to size down like that in AE before, but I did try a pair of Patriots in 11B that seemed oversized as well and I did not keep them. If I try the Patriot again it will be a half size down.

Kap120

Reaction score
I have tried the Parkway, Larchmont and Harrison in my normal size 11B. The fit was a little roomy in all three both lengthwise and volume wise so I tried sizing down to 10.5B and the fit is spot on with the Parkway (the only style I kept of the three, for now). Sizing down was a little tight at first but after settling into the corkbed the fit is awesome--probably the best fit of the AE's I have had.

I've never had to size down like that in AE before, but I did try a pair of Patriots in 11B that seemed oversized as well and I did not keep them. If I try the Patriot again it will be a half size down.
Thanks alot for the reply! I'm looking into the Parkway and Larchmont myself. Was the larchmont fit pretty spot on as well or just the Parkway?

BobStrauss

Reaction score
Well, "casual" varies, of course, from office to office. But, of the four colors in which the McTavish is offered, it would be last on my list.

To me, a black oxford wingtip just doesn't seem a good choice for casual wear, despite it being rougher than typical calfskin and with "waxed infused" leather. The "dark brown cognac" and the "natural" (close to AE walnut) seem like good looking, casual shoes that would be more versatile than black, both as to the colors and types of casual pants one might pair with them at the office.

I'm new to focusing on dressing well, so bear with me.

In the past I have often worn grey/charcoal chinos with black shoes/belt to work. I'd pair this up with a shirt or polo for business casual wear. I figured it was a safe path to go down.

Should I get completely away from this? I guess I've already noticed there aren't a ton of grey chinos out there anymore.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm new to focusing on dressing well, so bear with me. 

In the past I have often worn grey/charcoal chinos with black shoes/belt to work. I'd pair this up with a shirt or polo for business casual wear. I figured it was a safe path to go down. 

Should I get completely away from this? I guess I've already noticed there aren't a ton of grey chinos out there anymore. 

Don't see anything wrong with grey chinos. I'd say black shoes for your work environment seem more appropriate. I'd stay away from Polos or at the very least make sure they are knits and not the golf dri-fit ones.

Also I have a pair of black McTavish and McAllister's. I think they are completely different shoes. Whie I prefer brown shoes for my casual (dark denim and button up) outfits, I think the McTavish in black is a good black alternative. They have a chili sole and brown stitching with the flat wax infused leather keeps it from being formal. I think it works in a business casual setting, but leans more casual. Just because its a balmoral doesn't make it absolutely formal.

That being said, my McTavish are the least worn in my rotation (not much of a spring/summer shoe) and if you need one black shoe, those are likely not going to be a go to shoe. I think the MacNeils might be what you're looking for.

Fabian43

Reaction score

ejeru3y2.jpg
utajemer.jpg
Received my 2nds walnut Mcallister today and am undecided on whether I should return them for a different pair. The finishing is disappointing on the sole/welt. I'm not sure I can permanently fix that with edge dressing. Can anyone chime in on whether its an easy fix or should I exchange them?

Bump plz

JermynStreet

Reaction score

Fellas, I went to an outlet today and figured out that my true size is 13C. Unfortunately I can't find the Park Aves in black in that size, I have to go up to a 13D (which definitely felt a bit wide). Worth buying? Perhaps with an insert? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Spend the extra money and buy what fits. What doesn't fit won't be worn. A 13C can be ordered at a first quality price. You'll be much happier with the shoe and your decision in the long term.

What do you guys think of the McTavish in black as a casual work shoe?

If you go by the "gut feeling" book, it's a casual shoe in any combination, even black on black on black. In style, it's safer to err on the side of conservatism and it's better to be overdressed than under.

Last edited:

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree with everyone else. You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. That is hardly a defect in my eyes. They are not my shoes though and if they bother you, you should return them. If you exchange the shoes you may get a pair that have more of a problem. I think shoe edge dressing would easily fix that.

Last edited:

yoose

Reaction score
just got my first pair park aves from the nordstrom sale, took a while to find someone to bring it over to China for me. but they feel great. upgrading from some Aldos and they definitely feel better. wish the prices in china were the same as the US, they are about $800 here!!!

V1KTA222

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I just wore my Daltons for the first day. They look great but I have some instep issues. At the end of the day, it really really hurt on the top of my feet. Should I get them stretched? Or will this completely disappear in a few wears?

Thx!

My Daltons made their maiden voyage today as well. When I got them, they felt great - slightly snug around the vamp and toebox, but not tight at all. I wore them around the house for a couple of weeks, and while they weren't completely comfortable, they didn't hurt. After being on my feet all day, walking to and from public transportation, and around a hotel for a conference, my feet hurt! Mostly on the lateral side of each shoe, where the vamp hits the quarter. I hope this isn't because they are too narrow, but the next few times I wear them, I'll only wear them out for a couple of hours at at time, or when I'm not walking all day long, in order to see if they'll break in and stretch a little.

In other people's experiences, how long of a break in is common?

850csi

Reaction score
Spend the extra money and buy what fits. What doesn't fit won't be worn. A 13C can be ordered at a first quality price. You'll be much happier with the shoe and your decision in the long term.

Ugh you're probably right on this but it's just not a viable option for me. I'm on a very tight budget to begin with, and I'd pay $100 more for firsts in the 'right' size than I'm paying for two shoes tomorrow, one in the 'right' size (walnut Fifth Aves in 13C - my absolute dream shoe) and the other one width size too big (black parks in 13d) that's the most important shoe in my wardrobe (and is badly needed). Really the alternative for me isn't firsts, it's buying cheap dress shoes, all of which come in 13D/M anyways.

Does anyone know what happens if you get two shoes for $250 and then decide you want to return one?

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

just got my first pair park aves from the nordstrom sale, took a while to find someone to bring it over to China for me. but they feel great. upgrading from some Aldos and they definitely feel better. wish the prices in china were the same as the US, they are about $800 here!!!

how much Yuan?

mavrik13

Reaction score
ejeru3y2.jpg
utajemer.jpg

Received my 2nds walnut Mcallister today and am undecided on whether I should return them for a different pair. The finishing is disappointing on the sole/welt. I'm not sure I can permanently fix that with edge dressing. Can anyone chime in on whether its an easy fix or should I exchange them?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Apologies if this has already been asked before, I would just like to ask MacNeil and Strand owners their experience regarding the differences between the 7 last and the 5 last. I currently own an 8.5D Strand (5 last) and 8.5D Chukkamok (4 last). Both are very comfortable but I do find that the width of the Strand fits better.

I'm wondering whether I should get an 8.5C or 8.5D Macneil. I have read some reviews saying that the Macneil is wider than the Strands and some people suggest sizing down the width if you prefer the width of the Strands.

I know best thing for me is to try them on, but unfortunately this is just geographically impossible at the mean time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads