• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlafG

Reaction score
Received my 2nds walnut Mcallister today and am undecided on whether I should return them for a different pair. The finishing is disappointing on the sole/welt. I'm not sure I can permanently fix that with edge dressing. Can anyone chime in on whether its an easy fix or should I exchange them?

Come on. They are seconds for a reason. I've had firsts with more flaws than that.

They are shoes after all.

OlafG

Reaction score
Why only a couple of hours for the first wear? Whats the science behind that?

I don't think there is a science, but usually the cork needs to mold to your feet and it holds true for me that the shoes are uncomfortable for the first few long wears.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Players are discontinued now, but the came in black, "bitter chocolate" suede, white suede (!) and a navy suede (!!). You can still find some at nordstrom rack, or even a nordstrom if you're lucky.

Personally I hope they bring them back because the navy suede was awesome.

Thanks.

I think they would look great in some kind of dark brown. I'll even take something lighter like chestnut. Not a fan of walnut. Could be an MTO.....

mdavis534

Reaction score
Well, I need the some feedback on cordovan macneil's fit. I wear a size 9.5D. So during this recent shell cordovan seconds sale, I order the macneil in 9.5D. I wasnt sure about the fit, so i also ordered a 10C. Out of the two pair, the leather on the 9.5D looks better, There is some slighly raised creasing on the right shoe of the 10C I find unusual (this is clearer on the last picture below). The salesman told me over the phone that this is normal, and that more people try the right shoe and that it may go away with the use of shoe trees.. Given this is my first pair of cordovan, do you think this is normal.
Also the 9.5D pair is more even when looking at the laces. Overall the 9.5D fits better, my only concern is that the laces are close to coming together. I am worried that once the shoe breaks in, they may be a bit loose. The 10C is fits closer in the middle and towards the toe box, however, I get more heel slip on the 10C when compared to the 9.5D.

Here you can see the there isn't much of a gap on the laces of the 9.5Ds

Here you can see the creasing on the right shoe.

Last edited:

BobStrauss

Reaction score
What are the most casual black AE shoes I can get? I work in a government setting and already feel a little too flashy in walnut Strands. It's a business casual, chinos and polos/shirts style environment.

McCallisters?

Kap120

Reaction score
Looking to try a 3-last shoe. I've heard that sizing down 1/2 size from what you wear in last 5 is typical. Anyone have experience with this?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Players are discontinued now, but the came in black, "bitter chocolate" suede, white suede (!) and a navy suede (!!). You can still find some at nordstrom rack, or even a nordstrom if you're lucky.

Personally I hope they bring them back because the navy suede was awesome.

Also in snuff suede. I think everything on the 2 last is discontinued.

mikeharo

Reaction score

Well, I need the some feedback on cordovan macneil's fit. I wear a size 9.5D. So during this recent shell cordovan seconds sale, I order the macneil in 9.5D. I wasnt sure about the fit, so i also ordered a 10C. Out of the two pair, the leather on the 9.5D looks better, There is some slighly raised creasing on the right shoe of the 10C I find unusual (this is clearer on the last picture below). The salesman told me over the phone that this is normal, and that more people try the right shoe and that it may go away with the use of shoe trees.. Given this is my first pair of cordovan, do you think this is normal. Also the 9.5D pair is more even when looking at the laces. Overall the 9.5D fits better, my only concern is that the laces are close to coming together. I am worried that once the shoe breaks in, they may be a bit loose. The 10C is fits closer in the middle and towards the toe box, however, I get more heel slip on the 10C when compared to the 9.5D. Here you can see the there isn't much of a gap on the laces of the 9.5Ds Here you can see the creasing on the right shoe.
I've asked this on other boards and it seems like a good time to ask here. Do smaller or larger shoes crease more?

850csi

Reaction score
Fellas, I went to an outlet today and figured out that my true size is 13C. Unfortunately I can't find the Park Aves in black in that size, I have to go up to a 13D (which definitely felt a bit wide). Worth buying? Perhaps with an insert? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

bucksfan

Reaction score

First got introduced to the brand in 2011 when I bought a pair of boat shoes (Harbour). Back then I didn't know anything about the brand at all. Little did I know it was my first step into what is a very slippery slope. Fast forward to 2013, here's the latest one to empty my pockets
Very nice! They look great!
9.5D. No question about it. The shoes should lace like that.
+1. The creases in the 9.5s look to be in the right location too.
I've asked this on other boards and it seems like a good time to ask here. Do smaller or larger shoes crease more?
Shoes that are too large will crease the deepest, but shoes that are too tight will have a higher number of creases.

Last edited:

mdavis534

Reaction score
Very nice! They look great!
+1. The creases in the 9.5s look to be in the right location too.
Shoes that are too large will crease the deepest, but shoes that are too tight will have a higher number of creases.
appreciate the confirmation. I also like how the 9.5D creases. Seen other picture of shell that creased somewhat the same.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think of the McTavish in black as a casual work shoe?

Well, "casual" varies, of course, from office to office. But, of the four colors in which the McTavish is offered, it would be last on my list.

To me, a black oxford wingtip just doesn't seem a good choice for casual wear, despite it being rougher than typical calfskin and with "waxed infused" leather. The "dark brown cognac" and the "natural" (close to AE walnut) seem like good looking, casual shoes that would be more versatile than black, both as to the colors and types of casual pants one might pair with them at the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads