• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: Good question. Well, this is a sticking point. I'm adjunct music faculty at a college in Utah (long commute from NYC, let me tell you), and am in a collegiate environment approximately 8 days out of each month. I would most likely use these shoes in that environment. Perhaps with a grey or navy suit, or charcoal, dark brown or navy trousers w/odd sport jacket combinations. So they would be in limited rotation. Three of my other AE shoes pull this function of as well, however.

My corporate or private function event agency requires me to wear black shoes only now, even with charcoal or navy suits, otherwise those would have been perfect occasions.

I wear my chili LWB or brown double monks to my shows at nicer jazz clubs, and the grey mctavish or converse to the divier ones.

Do y'all generally think of Shelton as a "versatile" shoe?

Busa

Reaction score
Was wondering about this myself so I recently decided to try out the AE combination tap soles. They are not thin at all and the rubber material is very robust, so I think they'll last for a while.

I wasn't really sure which sole I'd like best, so I had my cobbler install some tap soles and rubber toe taps on my other pairs. I'll probably know in a few months which sole is most preferable and which would last the longest.

First, a pic of my test AE pairs (all recently acquired after I found this thread):

With the different soles installed (L-R: Toe taps, OEM combination tap sole, vibram tap sole):

Subutai

Reaction score
Good question. Well, this is a sticking point. I'm adjunct music faculty at a college in Utah (long commute from NYC, let me tell you), and am in a collegiate environment approximately 8 days out of each month. I would most likely use these shoes in that environment. Perhaps with a grey or navy suit, or charcoal, dark brown or navy trousers w/odd sport jacket combinations. So they would be in limited rotation. Three of my other AE shoes pull this function of as well, however.

My corporate or private function event agency requires me to wear black shoes only now, even with charcoal or navy suits, otherwise those would have been perfect occasions.

I wear my chili LWB or brown double monks to my shows at nicer jazz clubs, and the grey mctavish or converse to the divier ones.

In that case, I'd go for it! They fit the bill perfectly for what you are describing, and you have plenty of opportunity to use them. I agree that the LWB's monks, and McTavish's do better in casual environments. I've become a big fan of AE's Burgundy Shell Cordovan, however, and they're a great deal as seconds on sale. Further, if the outlet from which you are buying is a Tanger Outlet, you may be able to use a 20% coupon for additional savings!

I have a pair of the Sheltons in burgundy; I'm torn as to it's versatility. I definitely think it works best as a casual or business casual shoe (slacks, etc but no suits). That, of course, is my humble opinion.

PS - I've never been to Utah but hope to experience that commute some upcoming winter!

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score

You're welcome. I also posted a similar question a few months back and no one really got to answer it. So, I thought I'd just try it out and see how the various soles compare.

I'm also interested in your comparison. Thanks!

For the poster that asked earlier, my cobbler charges around $25 for the topys.

AdamAdam

Reaction score

I have the burgundy/black and walnut/brown Shelton and I find the walnut/brown to be very versatile. I've worn it business casual to the office and the other day with jeans and thought it looked nice. Just one man's opinion...

mdavis534

Reaction score
I'm in Florida for the weekend. And they happen to have an Allen Edmonds store. Thinking about grabbing those daltons in walnut. What does the bourbon look like. What do you guys think. Which is more versatile

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stopped by the new AE store in midtown manhattan today looking for the Mora 2.0

They didn't have it and didn't expect it until the end of the month.

Very nice store...just don't go on hot day. Their A/C hasn't worked all summer they told me. Hot as heck in there. Wow. Dunno how the workers can put up with that.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Very nice store...just don't go on hot day. Their A/C hasn't worked all summer they told me. Hot as heck in there. Wow. Dunno how the workers can put up with that.

I have been In the same store, about a month ago. Surprised the AC still isn't working. Bummer. Who was the SA you worked with?

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which store is considered the Midtown one? I went to the one on 43rd a few months back and it was warm. What's interesting is that all of their stores are between 43rd and 55th between 6th and Madison. I wish they had a few downtown for my convenience.

Last edited:

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I always find the Boston store on Newbury to be dreadfully hot as well. Does not make for a pleasant experience

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Scotty: I didn't catch her name unfortunately

NWTeal: They actually have 4 in midtown but I was at the newest store on W 43rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads