• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone else notices this...

Over the last few months, I purchased a pair of Ridgeway, McTavish, and McAllister each.

What I noticed is that while all 3 are built on the same last, the Ridgeway actually have a pointier toe profile.

I try to show that in the below pic, but it does not represent what I see IRL.

I notice what you are referencing, but have a strong feeling that the Ridgeway stands out more because the welt is much longer than the other two shoes.

Maybe its just an optical illusion.

david 112358

Reaction score

Lucky for most of us...we'll get that "all your shoes look alike"! That makes it easier to slip one past the goalie
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

I do this with fly rods... at some point there are so many my wife can't tell when a new one comes home :)

pudman43

Reaction score

I do this with fly rods... at some point there are so many my wife can't tell when a new one comes home :)
LOL this would be an intriguing sub-thread: ways we all get shoes bought/shipped without alerting the spouse! Freakin' hilarious.... J

david 112358

Reaction score
tried on a pair of hinsdales at Nordstrom rack today. they fit well but the leather is really stiff. I'm assuming that's because of the "cobbler" leather.

I didn't really care for the shoe, and they were $100 more than the AE outlet.

I believe it's the same last as the Clifton, so I'm pretty sure that will fit now once I get around to ordering a pair of those

Last edited:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Wanted to share the link below with everyone.

Ebay has the Walnut Carlsbad Loafer on sale for $176! A great deal that regrettably I must pass up… hopefully they will be around after my wedding in June.

Sizes available- 7, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, and 12. All in D width

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...82?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item53f502502a

Hope someone jumps on these! Would love to see some pics.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Those Kenilworth's look great.  What last is the Carmina PTB and is that saddle shell?  If os how does it compare in person to the Walnut?
Thanks very much!!

Curious about this as well.  My guess is Robert last as the toe box looks a little narrower than my Forest last shoes.  By the way, I think that picture reinforces what a great shoe the Kenilworth is. 

The Carmina PTBs are on the Rain last. The color is actually cognac (supposed to be similar to Alden's cigar) that came out quite a bit lighter than I thought when I placed the order. However, I think the color looks pretty great and I quickly got over the initial slight disappointment that it was similar to the walnut shell color. Compared to the walnut shell, it is a little bit darker and have more red/orange. The walnut shell has a bit more yellow in it. They look pretty similar but different enough when placed side by side. I really am very happy with both.

rickrone

Reaction score
Wanted to share the link below with everyone.

Ebay has the Walnut Carlsbad Loafer on sale for $176! A great deal that regrettably I must pass up… hopefully they will be around after my wedding in June.

Sizes available- 7, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, and 12. All in D width

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...82?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item53f502502a

Hope someone jumps on these! Would love to see some pics.
im not a big fan of woven leather, but good looking out for all the AE fans. Buy all your shoes and toys now before you get married, so you don't have to hear it from your future wife.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
im not a big fan of woven leather, but good looking out for all the AE fans. Buy all your shoes and toys now before you get married, so you don't have to hear it from your future wife.

Really? I thought the woven leather looked pretty good, although I haven't seen it in person.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But at the same time I feel bad buying some new shoes when we have a wedding to take care of.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
LOL this would be an intriguing sub-thread: ways we all get shoes bought/shipped without alerting the spouse! Freakin' hilarious.... J

I was at Nordstrom Rack recently and a man who was alone looking at a shelf near me picked up a pair of shoes and expressed, "Oooooh" to himself in that I-can't-believe-I-just-found-a-shoe-I-like-in-my-size-at-such-an-amazing-price sound. I turned and said, "Found something, eh?" He said, "Yea, now I just need to leave it in the bag in my car overnight and take it in the house when my wife isn't home". I guess we all read the same playbook.

Beach Bum

Reaction score

I was at Nordstrom Rack recently and a man who was alone looking at a shelf near me picked up a pair of shoes and expressed, "Oooooh" to himself in that I-can't-believe-I-just-found-a-shoe-I-like-in-my-size-at-such-an-amazing-price sound. I turned and said, "Found something, eh?" He said, "Yea, now I just need to leave it in the bag in my car overnight and take it in the house when my wife isn't home". I guess we all read the same playbook.
haha that's funny, guilty as sin here

willsgillen

Reaction score
Has AE made Strands in burgundy shell at any point? If not, has anyone ordered it as a MTO? I think it'd look great and would appreciate a pic if anyone has it.

docalden2013

Reaction score

I've been enjoying this thread and everyone's jocularity. I started a humble AE collection last fall and fell into Aldens shortly thereafter as well. Here's how I sneak in shoes past security checkpoints at home:

1. Cover your financial tracks. Some of my patients pay in cash. I use the cash to purchase a visa vanilla gift card ($500 max). When purchasing shell, it's best to place an order over the phone or in person rather than order online so you can use two vanilla cards to complete a >$500 purchase.
2. Have purchase shipped to office. Be careful to time purchases so as not to risk delivery on weekends during which time you might not be around.
3. Break new purchases in at the office (see, eg, The Mac Method). Shoes are ready for home when there is adequate scuffing on soles.
4. Discreetly transport contraband in large gym bag/tennis bag or in oversized messenger bag. Works best when your hands are full of groceries to provide adequate distraction.
5. Keep shoes in felt bags for camouflaging. Employ the "what, these old shoes?" defense with proper conviction (see, eg, "these aren't the droids you're looking for. He can go about his business")
6. Rinse, repeat

willsgillen

Reaction score

I've been enjoying this thread and everyone's jocularity. I started a humble AE collection last fall and fell into Aldens shortly thereafter as well. Here's how I sneak in shoes past security checkpoints at home:

1. Cover your financial tracks. Some of my patients pay in cash. I use the cash to purchase a visa vanilla gift card ($500 max). When purchasing shell, it's best to place an order over the phone or in person rather than order online so you can use two vanilla cards to complete a >$500 purchase.
2. Have purchase shipped to office. Be careful to time purchases so as not to risk delivery on weekends during which time you might not be around.
3. Break new purchases in at the office (see, eg, The Mac Method). Shoes are ready for home when there is adequate scuffing on soles.
4. Discreetly transport contraband in large gym bag/tennis bag or in oversized messenger bag. Works best when your hands are full of groceries to provide adequate distraction.
5. Keep shoes in felt bags for camouflaging. Employ the "what, these old shoes?" defense with proper conviction (see, eg, "these aren't the droids you're looking for. He can go about his business")
6. Rinse, repeat

Hilarious. I like the breaking in at work tactic!

Fabian43

Reaction score

6. Rinse, repeat

Hilarious. I like the breaking in at work tactic!

Classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads