1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

I notice what you are referencing, but have a strong feeling that the Ridgeway stands out more because the welt is much longer than the other two shoes.

Maybe its just an optical illusion.

2. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

I do this with fly rods... at some point there are so many my wife can't tell when a new one comes home :)

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior Member

LOL this would be an intriguing sub-thread: ways we all get shoes bought/shipped without alerting the spouse! Freakin' hilarious.... J

4. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

tried on a pair of hinsdales at Nordstrom rack today. they fit well but the leather is really stiff. I'm assuming that's because of the "cobbler" leather.

I didn't really care for the shoe, and they were $100 more than the AE outlet.

I believe it's the same last as the Clifton, so I'm pretty sure that will fit now once I get around to ordering a pair of those

Last edited: May 28, 2013

5. ScottyBoy920

Wanted to share the link below with everyone.

Ebay has the Walnut Carlsbad Loafer on sale for $176! A great deal that regrettably I must pass up… hopefully they will be around after my wedding in June.

Sizes available- 7, 8.5, 9, 9.5, 10, 10.5, 11, and 12. All in D width

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Edmon...82?pt=US_Men_s_Shoes&var=&hash=item53f502502a

Hope someone jumps on these! Would love to see some pics.

6. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

The Carmina PTBs are on the Rain last. The color is actually cognac (supposed to be similar to Alden's cigar) that came out quite a bit lighter than I thought when I placed the order. However, I think the color looks pretty great and I quickly got over the initial slight disappointment that it was similar to the walnut shell color. Compared to the walnut shell, it is a little bit darker and have more red/orange. The walnut shell has a bit more yellow in it. They look pretty similar but different enough when placed side by side. I really am very happy with both.

7. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

im not a big fan of woven leather, but good looking out for all the AE fans. Buy all your shoes and toys now before you get married, so you don't have to hear it from your future wife.

8. ScottyBoy920

Really? I thought the woven leather looked pretty good, although I haven't seen it in person.

Yeah, I know what you mean. But at the same time I feel bad buying some new shoes when we have a wedding to take care of.

9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior Member

I was at Nordstrom Rack recently and a man who was alone looking at a shelf near me picked up a pair of shoes and expressed, "Oooooh" to himself in that I-can't-believe-I-just-found-a-shoe-I-like-in-my-size-at-such-an-amazing-price sound. I turned and said, "Found something, eh?" He said, "Yea, now I just need to leave it in the bag in my car overnight and take it in the house when my wife isn't home". I guess we all read the same playbook.

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior Member

haha that's funny, guilty as sin here

11. willsgillen

willsgillen Well-Known Member

Has AE made Strands in burgundy shell at any point? If not, has anyone ordered it as a MTO? I think it'd look great and would appreciate a pic if anyone has it.

12. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior Member

I've been enjoying this thread and everyone's jocularity. I started a humble AE collection last fall and fell into Aldens shortly thereafter as well. Here's how I sneak in shoes past security checkpoints at home:

1. Cover your financial tracks. Some of my patients pay in cash. I use the cash to purchase a visa vanilla gift card ($500 max). When purchasing shell, it's best to place an order over the phone or in person rather than order online so you can use two vanilla cards to complete a >$500 purchase.
    2. Have purchase shipped to office. Be careful to time purchases so as not to risk delivery on weekends during which time you might not be around.
    3. Break new purchases in at the office (see, eg, The Mac Method). Shoes are ready for home when there is adequate scuffing on soles.
    4. Discreetly transport contraband in large gym bag/tennis bag or in oversized messenger bag. Works best when your hands are full of groceries to provide adequate distraction.
    5. Keep shoes in felt bags for camouflaging. Employ the "what, these old shoes?" defense with proper conviction (see, eg, "these aren't the droids you're looking for. He can go about his business")
    6. Rinse, repeat

13. willsgillen

Hilarious. I like the breaking in at work tactic!

14. willsgillen

Sorry double post

Last edited: May 28, 2013

15. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior Member

Classic!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.