• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Getting in on the Shell Strand action.

Socks not OTC and it shows. Sorry 'bout that.

Last edited:

arkane

Reaction score
Great job with darkening the Walnut Strands! I have both the McAllisters and Strands in walnut but they are different shades. The Strands are on the lighter side, similar to your original picture, and the McAllisters are on the darker side which I think is perfect. I'm thinking about using AE Dark Brown Premium Polish to achieve similar results to yours.

Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I hope it assits anyone who is on the fence with darken walnut shoes.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

What grit sand paper was used for this process? I have a pair of Nuemok Seconds that are looking a little ruff around the edges (punny :rotflmao: ) and I was thinking about sanding them down and applying a fresh coat.

thanks.

I used a 80 grit and finished them off with a 200. The finer grit got all clogged when I initially started with that and didn't do much so I went with the medium grit and it did the job. Be careful not to scuff the shoe in the process. I took my time while watching TV.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

In an earlier post 3 weeks ago with the same photos - he mentioned he used a 150 grit sand paper, very slowly as to not damage the upper portions.  He had tried 600 grit sand paper, but it picked up too much to be any use.

My apologies, I was way off on my grits trying to go from memory. I was not sure what I was thinking about. I mention above the correct grits I used.

JermynStreet

Reaction score

I just received my Bourbon Strands. These look better than any photos I have seen - almost like they have a patina from the beginning. There were some issues getting these (won't go into it), but Allen Edmonds worked with me and it all turned out well. Kudos to AE for great shoes and great customer care.

This makes 38 pairs of Allen Edmonds - the oldest dating back to 1990. I can't believe this is my first pair of Strands! And I'm already thinking about another pair - Tan Dublin Nashuas for the summer.

I will try to post some photos later tonight. But if you haven't looked at the AE Bourbon, you need to check it out.

Chris

Congrats on a new pair...but just out of curiosity, how does one wear 36 pairs? Do they get even rotation? Are there any you no longer wear? Not trying to be offensive, just bloody curious! Also, would love to see sole pics!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
I used a 80 grit and finished them off with a 200. The finer grit got all clogged when I initially started with that and didn't do much so I went with the medium grit and it did the job. Be careful not to scuff the shoe in the process. I took my time while watching TV.

Will certainly be using a tender touch. I think the only good thing is that these are suede Nuemoks and if I do touch them with the sand paper, it won't hurt as much.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered a pair of dark brown shark/chili shark Sheltons. Amazing! I really need to cut back on MTO orders. This is four so far....

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on a new pair...but just out of curiosity, how does one wear 36 pairs? Do they get even rotation? Are there any you no longer wear? Not trying to be offensive, just bloody curious! Also, would love to see sole pics!
I think I'm up to 45 pairs. Some get more rotation than others. Shell gets heavy rotation, gator not so much. Everything else just depends on my mood. I'm in a business casual environment where I can get away with pretty much anything.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

Okay, so you recommend to only use the 200 grit from start to finish?

I found that the finer grit clogged with the removed dressing pretty quickly. So, I had better results with the 80 grit (medium) paper to actually remove the dressing. After i had removed all of the dressing, i went over the edge with the 200 grit (fine) paper to smooth out the leather. I would like to know if anyone has had any success with Renovateur or another product as the sanding was quite tedious.

hollyb

Reaction score

I got my replacement McAllister firsts, and unfortunately they have the same prominent ridge on the caps. In addition, the pinking is very inconsistent, where on the right shoe there's too much leather and they flair way up. The left shoe, on the other hand foot, is almost cut off: I'm sure I want to replace them because of the pinking, but I'm worried the third attempt is going to have the same ridge problem. I don't see such a problem in this picture or this picture, so I'm holding out hope I can get a better looking pair. Any thoughts what could be causing this? As for the inconsistent stitching causing pinking problems, this seems to a newer problem, as I don't remember reading about it on this thread much in the past. Just the other day, rollinsay had a similar problem, and I even chimed in with problems on my Bourbon Strand firsts. I hope if there is a consistent problem with stitching of the uppers, whether it be in the Dominican Republic or the USA, that AE notices and gets it under control.
Yeah, I have the same problem on the 1st quality pair I just received this afternoon however mine had an additional defect (below). This is going to be a hassle returning stuff from Canada, actually the first pair I am returning after 6 pairs...bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads