1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

They DO feel like slippers and I have been wearing them around the house and yard as slippers. This morning when I put trees back in them I thought that is the first time I recall putting trees in slippers LOL. Great job.

Walnut Shell Strands today
    [​IMG]

2. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Unrelated to AE specifically, but I received my Reno'Mat and Renovateur last night. Two things. The strong smell of Reno'Mat tells me it's going to be a hard worker; and the smell of Renovateur... how do I describe it? It's extraordinary; it's a nice smell, but when I had it open for less than a minute, my entire bedroom smelled like Renovateur for at least an hour.

Finally... I had a Russian doll type battle with the packaging...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013

3. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Distinguished Member

who'd you get the renomat from? trying to grab a jar but hangar project is OOS

4. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior Member

I wore my Brown Shell Strands today as well. Mine have only been worn probably 7 or 8 times since I got them. As you can see the color on your Walnuts is much lighter than mine. In the right light the cap on mine look burgundy, in other light they look dark brown. I have reno'd them, and will again to try and get any creme off... Hoping with the sun they lighten up some. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2013

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

I ordered it from Pediwear. Shipping took only a week. You can also order from A Fine Pair of Shoes.

6. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior Member

They originally came with the Natural edge dressing I believe but it was starting to look rather splotchy. Now that I look at the pictures, I wonder if they had the chili all along. Anyway, I removed it by sanding it down to remove all of the color. I then applied a single coat of the Chili dressing.

Here is the before and some comparison shots:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior Member

What grit sand paper was used for this process? I have a pair of Nuemok Seconds that are looking a little ruff around the edges (punny [​IMG]) and I was thinking about sanding them down and applying a fresh coat.

thanks.

8. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior Member

Thanks Cold Iron and it's funny that you say that because they are the only tassels I own. I just had not found a loafer that I thought was dressy enough. I browsed the Manchester on-line and the tassels looked to much like an affectation, especially for a 45 year old. But I tried them on at the AE store in New Orleans and they just fit REALLY well. And they're sleek, which I like too.

So the tassels grew on me and I think you can pull them off as long it's balanced with some convervative elements.

Overall I think the Manchester is one of the most underated shoes in the line-up.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Distinguished Member

Yes, it is a bit off. Many people complain about the short captoe on the Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue, but it doesn't bother me at all. However, the prevalence of crooked captoes in these shoes can really frustrate me, and they seem to be surprisingly common. AE seems to have a different opinion on the acceptable range for the straightness of the captoe. I was in a regular AE shop (not factory seconds) a couple of months ago and when I picked up a black shell Park Avenue, the cap was blatantly crooked. All that to say, if the rest of the shoes look good to you, and the "off" captoe isn't a big deal, I'd keep them. Returning them may easily yield another pair with an obvious defect as well as another crooked captoe.

10. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

I just received my Bourbon Strands. These look better than any photos I have seen - almost like they have a patina from the beginning. There were some issues getting these (won't go into it), but Allen Edmonds worked with me and it all turned out well. Kudos to AE for great shoes and great customer care.

This makes 38 pairs of Allen Edmonds - the oldest dating back to 1990. I can't believe this is my first pair of Strands! And I'm already thinking about another pair - Tan Dublin Nashuas for the summer.

I will try to post some photos later tonight. But if you haven't looked at the AE Bourbon, you need to check it out.

Chris

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Distinguished Member

I agree - I love my black Manchesters. They fit like a slipper - maybe my foot is custom made for that shoe. I know it is probably tabu, but I even wear mine with a suit every now and then. Very versatile shoe.

Chris

12. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    In an earlier post 3 weeks ago with the same photos - he mentioned he used a 150 grit sand paper, very slowly as to not damage the upper portions. He had tried 600 grit sand paper, but it picked up too much to be any use.

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

From personal experience, one needs to develop a since of his own style before forking out a large sum of money on a purchase like this. I wasted a lot of money when I first started out, lacking a certain level of sartorial knowledge. I regret some expensive purchases I made solely on the fact that they were considered to be high quality/proper styling, not realizing until it was too late that they didn't fit into my personal taste.

The knowledge in this forum is priceless, but one will still make mistakes early on. I'd prefer they be as inexpensive as possible.

14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

I can't picture you wearing tassles either, sir. However, if you choose to try them, I will definitely like to see some pictures of them next to your boots!

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Distinguished Member

They will lighten up with exposure to sunlight. That said, I currently like the dark brown shell more than some of the lighter colors, including Walnut. Maybe that will change with time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.