• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Copeland

Reaction score
Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I hope it assits anyone who is on the fence with darken walnut shoes.

So if I use a tiny Q-Tip (or small-tip screw driver) to nourish the Brogue holes - what Saphir color or product do I use in the leather holes to maintain the darker contrast? Or do I use Saphir Renovateur?

David

jch1

Reaction score
Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I think I may do this as well. Did you use AE cream polish or Saphir? To mirror what another said, if you used Saphir, which colors?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe these are the Fifth Avenue, rebranded for BB, right?

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Perforated-Captoes/MH00024,default,pd.html

Can anyone confirm that they're also on the 5 last, same as the AE Fifth Avenue? I seem to remember reading somewhere that some of the BB shoes "unofficially" made by AE were on different lasts.

Yes, they are rebranded Fifth Avenues, and they are on the 5-last. Some manufacterers (like Alden) have custom lasts that are used for Brooks Brothers shoes, but AE's models that are simply rebranded for BB are all on the same last as the AE version.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd give a pictorial on the Chili edge dressing on the Walnut 5th Ave. from a recent post in case you missed it.

I didn't miss it, and your picture helps prove my point. Yours are showing the nice hue that is desirable against a walnut shoe, and the chili dressing allows the grain of the leather to show through in a beautiful way. Using brown edge dressing on the same shoe would give an opaque brown sole edge that would look more like milk chocolate. The brown edge dressing is better on shoes that are a true brown where no contrast is intended in my opinion (like on a pair of dark brown Fifth or Park Avenues with a suit for example). Obviously the brown edge dressing has it's place on plenty of other models as well.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So if I use a tiny Q-Tip (or small-tip screw driver) to nourish the Brogue holes - what Saphir color or product do I use in the leather holes to maintain the darker contrast? Or do I use Saphir Renovateur?

David

David, unless you are trying to get "artistic" you should use the same color polish that you are using on the rest of your shoe. The darkness of the brogue holes is caused by lack of light caused by shadow (because it is a hole). On some models the material that is placed between the leather upper and leather lining during shoe construction also contributes to the darkness of the brogue holes. In any event, the brogue holes will always be darker than the surrounding leather simply from shadow, and no extra help is needed.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you covert from using a previous Edge Color to the Chili? If so, how did you prepare the leather when switching Edge colors?

Generally, the AE shoes in walnut already have an edge dressing that is translucent, allowing the leather grain to show through. Applying chili edge dressing over the initial finish will immediately take over the effect without having to perform any alteration like sanding or stripping. I know tesuquegolfer outlined that he did perform a procedure on his shoes prior to arriving at the finished product you see in the above photo, but that is because he felt that the original finish was in need of a restoration due to a "splotchy" appearance. Assuming your sole edges are in good condition, you shouldn't need to do anything other than apply the chili dressing going forward.

Last edited:

Persedye

Reaction score

what brand polish did you use? Cream not wax I assume? I would love more detailed info.

Thanks!

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Should I be concerned with this? Looks like the heal is separating from the sole of my new custom Neumoks.

What would you do?

dj ricecube

Reaction score
Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks now. Decided to join the fun!

Quick question for you guys...what's the lowest price you seen the Franciscan in walnut? I was able to pick up a pair of walnut Mcallisters for just under $200 a few weeks ago, my first pair! Now I'm hooked and wanted to add the Franciscan and the Mctavish.

Thanks!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Should I be concerned with this? Looks like the heal is separating from the sole of my new custom Neumoks.

What would you do?

Based on the redness in your fingernail, I would guess that you are pulling on the heel? It isn't unusual to see a very small amount of separation where the heel base meets the sole if you pull at it. AE attaches their heel bases from the bottom up using small serrated nails that grip into a fiber heel tuck that is placed in the cork cavity. While they do glue the heel base on before driving the nails in, it isn't perfect. I would just wear them, but keep an eye on them for separation that seems to be happening without "forcing" it by tugging at the heel base.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Based on the redness in your fingernail, I would guess that you are pulling on the heel? It isn't unusual to see a very small amount of separation where the heel base meets the sole if you pull at it. AE attaches their heel bases from the bottom up using small serrated nails that grip into a fiber heel tuck that is placed in the cork cavity. While they do glue the heel base on before driving the nails in, it isn't perfect. I would just wear them, but keep an eye on them for separation that seems to be happening without "forcing" it by tugging at the heel base.

You have a good eye; yes I was pulling a bit to make sure I was showing the separation.

I guess the only question is, will AE repair them if the separation become worse?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have a good eye; yes I was pulling a bit to make sure I was showing the separation.

I guess the only question is, will AE repair them if the separation become worse?

If it turns out to be a defective heel attachment, they will take care of it. Based on what I am seeing in the photo, it is within acceptable limits at this point though. Bear in mind that you are pulling down, which is the opposite physical force that the heel is designed for (they are designed for your weight to be pushing down). Generally the only time you will encounter a force similar to what you are exerting by pulling on them in the real world is if you somehow hook your heel on something with alot of force (like a bar stool foot rest?) or if you catch it on an uneven surface while walking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads