Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    So if I use a tiny Q-Tip (or small-tip screw driver) to nourish the Brogue holes - what Saphir color or product do I use in the leather holes to maintain the darker contrast? Or do I use Saphir Renovateur?

David

2. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I think I may do this as well. Did you use AE cream polish or Saphir? To mirror what another said, if you used Saphir, which colors?

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, they are rebranded Fifth Avenues, and they are on the 5-last. Some manufacterers (like Alden) have custom lasts that are used for Brooks Brothers shoes, but AE's models that are simply rebranded for BB are all on the same last as the AE version.

4. MoneyWellSpent

I didn't miss it, and your picture helps prove my point. Yours are showing the nice hue that is desirable against a walnut shoe, and the chili dressing allows the grain of the leather to show through in a beautiful way. Using brown edge dressing on the same shoe would give an opaque brown sole edge that would look more like milk chocolate. The brown edge dressing is better on shoes that are a true brown where no contrast is intended in my opinion (like on a pair of dark brown Fifth or Park Avenues with a suit for example). Obviously the brown edge dressing has it's place on plenty of other models as well.

5. MoneyWellSpent

David, unless you are trying to get "artistic" you should use the same color polish that you are using on the rest of your shoe. The darkness of the brogue holes is caused by lack of light caused by shadow (because it is a hole). On some models the material that is placed between the leather upper and leather lining during shoe construction also contributes to the darkness of the brogue holes. In any event, the brogue holes will always be darker than the surrounding leather simply from shadow, and no extra help is needed.

6. MoneyWellSpent

Generally, the AE shoes in walnut already have an edge dressing that is translucent, allowing the leather grain to show through. Applying chili edge dressing over the initial finish will immediately take over the effect without having to perform any alteration like sanding or stripping. I know tesuquegolfer outlined that he did perform a procedure on his shoes prior to arriving at the finished product you see in the above photo, but that is because he felt that the original finish was in need of a restoration due to a "splotchy" appearance. Assuming your sole edges are in good condition, you shouldn't need to do anything other than apply the chili dressing going forward.

Last edited: May 14, 2013

7. Persedye

Persedye Active Member

what brand polish did you use? Cream not wax I assume? I would love more detailed info.

Thanks!

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Felt like wearing slippers to work today. Brown shell Patriots:

[​IMG]

9. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I kick myself EVERY day I see these on here. I didn't buy them because I'd just bought the Townley's

10. MoneyWellSpent

Very nice.

11. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Should I be concerned with this? Looks like the heal is separating from the sole of my new custom Neumoks.

What would you do?

12. dj ricecube

dj ricecube New Member

Hi all,

Been lurking for a few weeks now. Decided to join the fun!

Quick question for you guys...what's the lowest price you seen the Franciscan in walnut? I was able to pick up a pair of walnut Mcallisters for just under $200 a few weeks ago, my first pair! Now I'm hooked and wanted to add the Franciscan and the Mctavish.

Thanks!

13. MoneyWellSpent

Based on the redness in your fingernail, I would guess that you are pulling on the heel? It isn't unusual to see a very small amount of separation where the heel base meets the sole if you pull at it. AE attaches their heel bases from the bottom up using small serrated nails that grip into a fiber heel tuck that is placed in the cork cavity. While they do glue the heel base on before driving the nails in, it isn't perfect. I would just wear them, but keep an eye on them for separation that seems to be happening without "forcing" it by tugging at the heel base.

14. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

You have a good eye; yes I was pulling a bit to make sure I was showing the separation.

I guess the only question is, will AE repair them if the separation become worse?

15. MoneyWellSpent

If it turns out to be a defective heel attachment, they will take care of it. Based on what I am seeing in the photo, it is within acceptable limits at this point though. Bear in mind that you are pulling down, which is the opposite physical force that the heel is designed for (they are designed for your weight to be pushing down). Generally the only time you will encounter a force similar to what you are exerting by pulling on them in the real world is if you somehow hook your heel on something with alot of force (like a bar stool foot rest?) or if you catch it on an uneven surface while walking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.