1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Act

actually these wouldn't be MTO. I talked with riverhead about this for Bayfields earlier this year. They have lots of uppers in storage including Bayfields that haven't been put on soles. Cheap to store them like this. Apparently there are many excess discontinued shoes stored like this. So it costs them very little relatively to on a case by case basis throw them onto a last and sole them. But they aren't making a whole new upper. This is also the reason why sometimes you'll see clearance shoes on the website listed as ready in 3-5 weeks.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

[/quote]

I've got odd feet. Left is an 11 E and right is 9.5 EEE, both with very narrow ankles and low arches, like duck feet. I've found the 333 last gives the best fit for this foot type. Maybe worth a try?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  3. SBear

SBear Senior member

Thank you. My question, though was just about the relative merits of the two boots with trousers/sport coats and about their use in some light snow.

4. SBear

SBear Senior member

That makes a lot of sense - thanks for the great explanation!

5. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I agree. A retailer once told me that as well. AE stores shoes as uppers only. Discontinued styles or not.

6. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I've got odd feet. Left is an 11 E and right is 9.5 EEE, both with very narrow ankles and low arches, like duck feet. I've found the 333 last gives the best fit for this foot type. Maybe worth a try?[/QUOTE]
    Not to discount what you are saying, but have you been professionally fitted? That seems like a very large difference between your two fit

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yes, I was fitted recently at the AE store in Rockefeller plaza in NYC. The SA suggested I use the AE MTO program (which I intend to do soon) to get a pair that fits each foot more closely.

Meanwhile, I find that I can wear many AE shoes in 11 3E, but the 3 last in 10.5 3E provides the best fit I have come across for RTW shoes of any brand.

The difference in size has to do with bunions. I had one corrected (well, over-corrected, which increased the length of my big toe) on the left foot, but not on the right (adding to that foots increased width).

Someday I'm sure ill have the right foot corrected, but not any time soon, as the pain is still minimal, and I'm far too busy with work and family for the recoup time...

8. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

My feet are fairly flat and on the wider side and I've found the 5 last to be problematic for one foot but fits the other fine so I found a happy medium size in the middle. I've found the 1 last to be a bit more forgiving and fits me better. I've not tried other lasts yet but looks like someone suggested the 3. Maybe try the 7 as well which I've heard can be forgiving but don't have first-hand experience.

9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

I'll email them and see what they say. Thanks for the info. Like I said, I had them on the phone last week and they didn't offer this up.

10. tietherope

tietherope Senior member

I don't even know what to think about this boot.
    [​IMG]

11. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Can I wear it with a suit?????

2 people like this.
  12. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Quote:Well, I certainly know what I think about it...

13. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

only grey or navy would be appropriate

14. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

[​IMG]

15. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I'm wearing the Port Washingtons today! Casual day at the office for me.

[​IMG]

16. PlaceboFX

PlaceboFX Active Member

That was a fun seconds sale. I finally picked up a pair of black Park Avenues as my 8th pair of AEs.

That said, damn you to the person who put a hold on the 8.5 BB Mcallister in burgundy! I was so excited when I saw that on the email list, only to have my hopes crushed by a phone call to Jville. You're a cruel, cruel man.

I'm going to have to restrain myself on ordering them as firsts right now. I think the wife might get annoyed if I bought a fourth pair of AEs this month, particularly one at full price.

Maybe I can hold out until next July for Nordstrom's Anniversary sale, conveniently by my birthday... or maybe I'll cave and finally succumb to the Amazon 20% off and get them now.

Decisions, decisions.

17. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Got denied pretty quickly trying to get something similar with the Bayfiels as SBear so either they are all out of them or I ended up dealing with the same person that AdamAdam got on the phone.

If anyone has tried it and successfully managed to get those boots I'd be interested in knowing.

18. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

When will the double monk version of this be available???

1 person likes this.
  19. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

LOL. Sun Valley 2.0

1 person likes this.
  20. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Got a response from the J'ville outlet:

"There are no bayfields available in that size at all not even to be made."

So, I guess it depends on what size you're looking for. I was looking for 8E, BTW. Does this mean that whenever you inquire about a discontinued shoe they check their crafted inventory as well as what they have ready to be crafted?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.