• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
No offense, but I would not have purchased those McTavishes at $105.00. I just picked up a pair of firsts direct from AE for $180.00 or so (in natural tan, not black). I think they may have mistakenly sent me a pair of first when the pricing was for seconds but I'm not complaining :) These shoes are beautiful and feel amazing but I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of used shoes. Today is my first day wearing them at work, and yes, the creases are more pronounced than my other AE's. This is because they use a 'distressed' leather and it's a more casual shoe.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes.  I like the activity level in the thread, and the host of new voices lately... but the tone has definitely changed, and generally not for the better.  

A lot easier following this one than the Alden one.

I think both shoes are the same but Cambridge always refers to shell
As Bucksfan mentioned, another difference is the double oak sole. I think I actually prefer a single oak sole and am considering getting them resoled with a single oak sole when the time comes.
uju8ysat.jpg
ubabe2y9.jpg

I have an opportunity to pick these Mctavish up at a good price used. Are these creases typical of normal use? To me they look more pronounced than normal.

Looks pretty normal to me. The owner may not have used shoe trees when these were not being worn.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
FWIW, I just placed an order with Allison at AE swat. My plan was to order the Dalton in cappacino however switched to walnut aftershe advised me the walnut is in much shorter supply.
NIce! they will look great!!

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just placed an order with Allison at AE swat. My plan was to order the Dalton in cappacino however switched to walnut aftershe advised me the walnut is in much shorter supply.

Allison is a shrewd saleswoman with regard to us SF folks. So, what are the odds you come back for a second pair in cappucino within the year? Because no matter how much you love your new Walnut shell Daltons, you're alwasy going to get that little pang of regret every time you see a picture of someone else's in cappucino. Mark my words.

Subutai

Reaction score
Because of your guys input I decided to pick them up. I paid $105 shipped to my house. Good deal? If they don't fit right I'm gonna flip them here.
y8u8a6ur.jpg
ytyqy6ez.jpg

ScottyB said he got new firsts for $180 direct from AE, which sounds fantastic cause when I called, seconds were $230 ish. Regardless, I think $105 is a deal. Those shoes look basically new (especially looking at the soles) and you got them for the same price as a DSW Cole Haan, Rockport, Bostonian, etc

If they fit, I'd be happy with the purchase if I were you.

Last edited:

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Allison is a shrewd saleswoman with regard to us SF folks.  So, what are the odds you come back for a second pair in cappucino
within the year?  Because no matter how much you love your new Walnut shell Daltons, you're alwasy going to get that little pang of regret every time you see a picture of someone else's in cappucino.  Mark my words.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct sir,I asked her if I could have the cinos drop shipped in four months. She advised me I'd have to call back. Which I will, I have no illusions of having restraint.

Fabian43

Reaction score
^thanks Subutai. The soles appear relatively new(er) and while the creases look more noticeable than I'd like I figured for $105 it was bearable considering these routinely sell for $200+ new. And if I don't like 'em I should be able to sell 'em for what I paid.

plaid tie

Reaction score
First Post! Been reading everyone's post for a while now, great community.
Just received my Bourbon McAllisters this morning! Took advantage of their 91st anniversary sale.
Size is 7E. Tried on 7.5D and 7D at a local shop, but both were tight. 7.5 also had too much room lengthwise (like an inch). 7's were good in length but too tight.
I measured my foot using AE's sizechart and according to that I was 7E, so I ordered that after consulting with their website's "live chat" personnel.

For those who'd like to know. Every step in size is a 1/16" increase in width. Every step in width is 3/16".
Width wise, the 7E feels great but judging the lace gap, I could probably go to an EE but it may be too loose after it breaks in so I think I will keep these.

Cheers!

CornToast

Reaction score
The ball of your foot should fit into the widest part of the shoe, since it is the widest part of your foot. The captoe line has nothing to do with gauging fit, as it is purely decoration and length of the captoe varies between styles and manufacterers. From your red mark on the photo, it looks like you are about right, but only you (or a trained shoe fitting associate) can feel where the widest part of your foot is in relation to the widest part of the shoe. It isn't hard to do though, and you should be able to feel it without going back to a shop. If you can't tell based on how your foot feels in the shoe, try squeezing the shoe along the widest part and see if you are also squeezing the widest part of your foot.

Don't place too much emphasis on where your toes end. As long as your toes aren't squeezing together or hitting anything, you should be fine. Shoe fit is based on the ball of the foot to the heel. That's why people are able to wear shoes with those with long pointy toes. For what it's worth, the area that you are saying your big toe hits is a perfectly normal location.
If the ball of my foot is on the right location, should I go for a 7E instead of dropping to a 6.5E? It also seems a bit cramp around my pinky toe area.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ScottyB said he got new firsts for $180 direct from AE, which sounds fantastic cause when I called, seconds were $230 ish. Regardless, I think $105 is a deal. Those shoes look basically new (especially looking at the soles) and you got them for the same price as a DSW Cole Haan, Rockport, Bostonian, etc

If they fit, I'd be happy with the purchase if I were you.
Agree. Soles look great. That is a very versatile shoe. Esp. with jeans and black casual pants.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
Because of your guys input I decided to pick them up. I paid $105 shipped to my house. Good deal? If they don't fit right I'm gonna flip them here.
y8u8a6ur.jpg
ytyqy6ez.jpg
Not bad I guess... I just bought and returned a pair of seconds that were $179, but they had a big gash on the left pinky toe area. They also run 1/2 size too big. I sent them back and decided to get into some shell Leeds instead. I still want these too, but I'll wait until I can get sized for the 5 last.
I hope they work out well! Good luck.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If the ball of my foot is on the right location, should I go for a 7E instead of dropping to a 6.5E? It also seems a bit cramp around my pinky toe area.
Try both on and see which one is more comfortable. Now is the time to see which size fits better. We get posters here all the time that guess on size and wear the shoe for a week or two before coming to the conclusion they guessed wrong on size. At that point, you have no return/exchange options.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are correct sir,I asked her if I could have the cinos drop shipped in four months. She advised me I'd have to call back. Which I will, I have no illusions of having restraint.
I hear you. I just ordered my second shoe\boot in cappuccino shell in a weeks time so I am trying to help level the playing field between walnut and truffle availability
smile.gif

Got an email today from the Jeffersonville Ohio Outlet about the next uncoming sale. You should be able to click on the images to read them in larger size.

BCer

Reaction score

Inaugural wearing of my blue Neumoks. Man are they comfy! I have to say, this forum is going to put me in the poorhouse and through a divorce! Since seeing MacTavish tan shoes online and falling in love (with the shoes) last November, I now have two pairs of MacTavish, Dalton, Strand, Fairfax, Neumok and a pair of RL Saunders (by AE). Not bad in 6 months! Now if my wife would only see it my way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads