1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

In my humble opinion, I don't think trees do anything except prevent toes from curling and preventing odor. Never noticed any other differences in creasing, etc.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Agree with bucksfan, it will work but can take awhile sometimes a long while. And before Renovateur was available in the States the only way to do it. I have only used Renomat on 2 shell shoes and they had so much cream on them that you could see brush marks on the shoes, that is the factor that makes me break out the hard stuff.

My burgundy Dundee's had so much cream on them you couldn't see the burnishing or black highlights on them. It took more than 2 hours of Renovateur, a lot of sweat and brushing to get them to where you could see the shell. After that is when I decided if I ever got another pair with that much cream I would just start with Renomat. And for the black art I have found that sacrificing a chicken before polishing works well [​IMG] But for the most part I do what bucksfan does and once they start to shine only use Renovateur once or twice a year.

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I think it is important to remember that the creases that set in during wear, won't necessarily be decreased by shoe trees. However, the incidental creasing, or exacerbation of existing creases that happens from the toes curling upward during drying should be mitigated by using shoe trees. It is definitely two different things. I think some people who are new to nice shoes get the wrong impression, that their shoes should somehow be creaseless even though they crease every time your foot bends.

4. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

Noob question: Does AE have sales on seconds regularly? Just noticed there have been some pretty good sales in the past.

5. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Congrats on great choices!

I had a feeling they were getting low thanks for the PSA.
    Which was my first thought and I only have 2 pairs of black shell...
    Not sure if anyone on here has discussed it but I agree totally. Most of my shell is AE so my closet is VERY strong smelling of cordovan. Likely too much information but not long ago had a lady still in my bed when I was getting ready for work. I opened the doors to the closet and the smell filled the room as it always does, every morning it is a great smell to start the day with IMO. After about a minute she said wow your cologne is very seductive I think you should come back to bed and threw the covers back. I wasn't wearing any cologne, it was the AE shell she was smelling.

6. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

as others have said, thanks for the PSA. I'll be calling her tomorrow to discuss a bayfield option

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I'd say at least a few times a year.

1 person likes this.
  8. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

Best story ever!

Single lady = aroused
    Wife = annoyed by smell & cost

9. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

No problem, guys. Get on those orders!
    I was trying to think if there was anything else I should go for in cappuccino while I had the chance. I'd hate to be kicking myself later. I have plenty of boots (or will), although nothing in brown. AE doesn't have a boot that I'm really crazy about anyway. Hmmmm.

10. Van Veen

Van Veen Senior member

How are they announced? Can I get on an email list or something?

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

2nd quality Labor Day Sale 8/22/13-9/2/13

Brooks Brothers - $149 - except Presidio, which will be $109
    Ralph Lauren $129
    Park Ave black - $199 (black only)
    Strand walnut $199 (walnut only)
    Independence Collection ($299)
    Dalton walnut $199 (price will be on all colors except cordovan)
    Mayfair patent leather $99
    Old discontinued Crosstown 2.0 (Granville, Provo, Ann Arbor) $59
    Spiked and SLV golf 2nd Q - $149
    Jack golf $129 (all 2nd’s)

2 people like this.
  12. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Also, it seems as though the outlets are already taking "pre-orders" for the upcoming seconds sale. Get the orders in early!

(Stress the quotation marks)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  13. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

So, I was at Nordstrom Rack today to get some shoe trees and came across some lovely Hastings with the "shoe mark" on the bottoms of them. Most of the AE shoes I see at the rack don't have these...

See below:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

does anyone that has gone the MTO route been successful in slight alterations to the original shoe design/format? I'd like the bayfields to have more eyelets, like aldens boots, and no speedhooks.

will ask allison when i can get her on the phone, but figured I'd throw it out here too.

15. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

I know for a fact the speed hooks cannot be removed. I am unsure if more can be added

16. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

that's a shame. imo, the bayfield would look better with a couple more tightly spaced eyelets

17. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You can email one of the outlets to get on the email list, but your best bet is to follow this thread as there are some sales that are not announced.

18. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

I love those. I've seen them at my local Nordstrom's Rack as well. I felt as though the leather on those are incredibly soft; more so than usual

19. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

My Hastings do seem a bit softer than my other AE dress shoes, although I have the slightly incorrect size (they were my first pair of AE's). I bought an 11.5D when I now wear an 11E.

20. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

I always hear about the MTO offer. Can someone refresh my memory on what it entails? Been considering shell strand. Is it better to order through the deal?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.