Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Is it a secret any longer that Cold Iron is the reason for the shell shortage? Are we allowed to publically discuss this yet?

2. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

I hate you guys!
    This morning I placed an order for Bradleys, slightly wider (fingers crossed on fit), size 8.5E, chili grain.
    I really liked the style and the grain leather and you got me going with the idea of asking for a slight wider model.
    You seriously need to stop doing this!

On a side note, I just saw the brochure with the upcoming sale..
    Lasalle for 129?!? NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!
    Don't do this to me!

3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

You need to have strong will power to be a member of this thread.

On a side note, If you stick around here long enough, you will eventually start thinking of all cash expenditures in terms of shoes. For example, a conversation I had with my wife recently: that patio just cost 30 pair of shell Cordovan shoes!

Fortunately, she's understanding... More than I would be if the roles were reversed!

4. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I know that shell is all the rage, but has anybody considered doing a custom make up of the Neumora in a suede offering? I can't even start to envision how good that would look.

5. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Just called the Ohio store and spoke with Kelsy. Very nice salesgirl. She added me to their email blast list. Trying to decide between black pair of Lasalles and Parkways but for $129 sale price is it a no brainier to get the Lasalles?

6. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

Well, it's a slippery slope. I was grilling over a weber charcoal grill with little success yesterday. Long prep times to light the coals and cook everything. I thought to myself, damn I should really buy a weber gas grill. Then I thought it's too much money, when I had just spent more than that on my last pair of cordovan boots.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The SF version of the battle of the sexes. My wife and I are buying a new house that needs some work/decorating/new furniture. For some reason the cost of shoes and suits keep coming into the conversation relative to the cost of appliances and new furniture.

8. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Really, the creases on these shoes give them a very cool character to me.

9. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

I just confirmed at late day that the Longbranch is going to do me better than the Dalton for long walks (walking in the park, window shopping through town, and dedicated trails) - because the sole on the Longbranch absorbs more shock to each step than the Dalton flat leather sole - hence, a more comfortable journey. Now comes the "experimental fit - and it looks like I'm going to be okay with that too.

Later, I still would like to buy the Dalton when I have fewer "miles" to walk.

My best to all,

David

10. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

A healthy shoe addiction can distort one's perception of what constitutes an expensive purchase. Not that long ago my girlfriend noticed a new pair of Aldens sitting on the table. She says "I thought you weren't going to buy any more expensive shoes". I who had previously purchased a new pair of Edward Green dovers responeded with " I didn't purchase anymore expensive shoes, these were only $500". Much to my surprise , she did not share my view point on the subject.

11. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

PSA: RL online has some nice AE-made offerings on sale for up to 40% off. I do not follow this thread much at all, so sorry if this has already been posted. The sale ends tonight...

Sanderson (LWB; not the same as the MacNeil, it's MUCH nicer) -
    http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&parentPage=family

Slaton (Perf Cap Toe blucher) - http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&parentPage=family

Singleton (penny loafer) - http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&parentPage=family

Saunders (3 eyelet Chukka) - http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/...&ab=ln_nodivision_cs8_shoes&parentPage=family

I do not know the lasts that each are built on, but I know that the Sanderson runs TTS. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Hope this helps some of you...

12. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

E-mailed the Shoe Bank to ask about a few discontinued models I really wanted. Vincenzo only found a Bayfield in brown (CXL I assume). Only one in size 9D ($167).

13. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

14. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

add me to the "lasalle's for $130, nooooooooo" train

what's the general +/- on the lasalle sizing relative to the common 5-last?

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I think it would be awesome if we all added our entire collection to the website David Copeland mentioned before. Even with variations due to leather type and whether or not we like the size we have, it could very quickly answer the question of "Does this fit true to size?":

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.