• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucksfan

Reaction score
uju8ysat.jpg
ubabe2y9.jpg

I have an opportunity to pick these Mctavish up at a good price used. Are these creases typical of normal use? To me they look more pronounced than normal.

Definitely pronounced, but I think that is a function of the type of leather, rather than abnormal wear.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabian, Those creases are normal. My pair show nearly the same creases and they are getting more prominent as I do a lot of movement in them.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Not working for me either.

Neither me.

I was logging on to use the Chat feature to inquire about the laces on my Kenilworths. They came with 30" laces that seem much too long when tied. Does anyone know the proper lace length for a 3 eyelit shoe?

willsgillen

Reaction score

uju8ysat.jpg
ubabe2y9.jpg

I have an opportunity to pick these Mctavish up at a good price used. Are these creases typical of normal use? To me they look more pronounced than normal.

Yes this creases are normal for the type of leather. Mine show that as well after a good deal of wearing. Fortunately I don't think it looks bad given that they're full brogue and there's a lot going on at the toe to distract from them.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the price? I'm not sure that I'd spend more than $50 on those, and that's if I REALLY needed a pair of shoes.

David Copeland

Reaction score
That would be fine with me! I have actually been surprised at how many shoes/boots have been put on closeout/clearance in the last couple of months. Makes me excited to see what they are going to replace all of it with in the spring collection. It looks like there should be a lot of new options coming.

LONGBRANCH BOOTS

How has the calfskin Long Branch boots worn for you - as far as comfort right out of the box? Did you need any break-in period before the comfort began? Or did the Long Branch perform like the AE calfskin dress shoes - where no breakin is necessary?

DALTON BOOTS

For others who own the Daltons and have use them for outdoor use - how have these worn for you on long walks (a few miles) on city or parkside walking trails (not forest hiking trails). Although I anticipate they are extremely comfortable for indoor use, how comfortable have they been for long walks - like a few miles?

And although they have that very nice leather sole, how have the soles worn for you?

Thanks for all of your help,

David

Subutai

Reaction score
Yes this creases are normal for the type of leather. Mine show that as well after a good deal of wearing. Fortunately I don't think it looks bad given that they're full brogue and there's a lot going on at the toe to distract from them.
+1. I have the McTavish in dark brown (struggled between getting the dark brown or the black. I love the stitching on the black) and after two days of wear I had creases; more so than any other of my shoes from AE.
Again, agreeing with above, because of the type of leather and the fact that it's a more casual shoe anyway, it doesn't really take away from the look. I'd definitely pick them up if you can get them at a good price in your size.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

Regent Streets in Chili arrived over the weekend. Today is their maiden voyage, they look great in natural sun light.

VinnyMac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely right. this is true, but the price tag is killing me. I really like the rutledge. I got my fifth ave for $200, but the rutledge is 475. i really, really, really, really, want the rutledge, but the price is killing me.I am looking for the $200 range. I don't even want to pay $345 for the fifth ave, but i can't turn down a great deal. when does the rutledge go on sale. :)
I don't think that you'll find them for that price anywhere other than Ebay (heavily used, unusual sizes). I've only seen the seconds on sale once. I picked up a pair. They were a relatively new shoe, so they looked like firsts. From what I've seen, the older models are more hit or miss because people have been trying them on for longer.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the Long Branch in gray. I had to go up a width, but they fit great right out of the box. I also have the Dalton in unlined walnut shell and chocolate lined calf. All three are very comfortable.

Last edited:

Fabian43

Reaction score
Because of your guys input I decided to pick them up. I paid $105 shipped to my house. Good deal? If they don't fit right I'm gonna flip them here.
y8u8a6ur.jpg
ytyqy6ez.jpg

Shiny

Reaction score
Dk bwn Hinsdale's today.

socks are a little bluer than my navy suit, but not that blue (cell phone pix color is off). I love these sleek shortwings. Too bad AE discontinued them :( .

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks lostron. So if I wanted to take Mr. Grangaard up on his MTO offer and got a cappuccino shell version of the McAllister, sounds like this would end up the same as a cappuccino shell Cambridge.

Related to Paul's generous offer, does anyone know how "custom" you can go? Would it be possible to get a MacNeil or other LWB on the 5 last?

Hmm... I never wondered this until now before I take care of my Strands. What is the general consensus on using a leather conditioner and then using a shoe cream? Is it overkill as shoe cream also conditions leather?

The sun came out, so I took a new group picture of the shell. This encompasses all colors currently available from AE. From left to right:

Black Park Avenue, New Burgundy MacNeil, Old Burgundy Leeds, Dark Brown Dundee (we now know that brown and dark brown are the same!), Brown Strand, Cappuccino McAllister, Walnut Dalton.

That is some beautiful shell Appreciation!

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I just placed an order with Allison at AE swat. My plan was to order the Dalton in cappacino however switched to walnut aftershe advised me the walnut is in much shorter supply.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads