• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoedog1089

Reaction score
So you rather keep it hush hush I guess?

Let me be clear, I'm not in disagreement with what you are doing, just how sneaky you are about it. Although you have stated you are proud of what you are doing, it doesn't sound like this is the case since you mostly choose to hide this part of what you are doing everywhere on the website.
I think you should read his CEO blog on the AE website all the way back to April 8, 2010 where he proudly talks about the DR facility. To your original point about why didn't he release press about the DR facility in 2007, I am not sure how he could have done that since he became an employee of AE in late 2008.

tesuquegolfer

Reaction score

I spoke to AE and they also suggested a Natural Edge for my light brown Sanfords (which look close to what you have in color). Do you think the Chili is better than the Natural?
I really wanted the original look and was worried that the Chili was going to be too dark. However, I felt like the natural wasn't going to do much so I bit the bullet and went with the Chili after looking at many walnut shoes in the store. I am pretty happy with the final result. You can really see the difference between the raw and Chili version but I think it works on the 5th which is a dressier shoe than say a more casual shoe. I really love the natural look on the Elgin for example but to me that shoe wouldn't work well in a dressier situation.

mediahound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To your original point about why didn't he release press about the DR facility in 2007, I am not sure how he could have done that since he became an employee of AE in late 2008.
not sure why you are posting the same thing again but my response is [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif]above:[/FONT]

Clearly AE would have been talking about it at the time (or now) via their press releases, if they were proud of it.

Last edited:

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just ordered a pair of brown shell Townleys sat from the Jefferson Store in Ohio. They are having a 20% off sale right now so the price was around $250.00
i'm unfamiliar with the sizing of this particular shoe.. is it typically TTS?

calidist

Reaction score
i'm unfamiliar with the sizing of this particular shoe.. is it typically TTS?

I can't answer your sizing question, but the Jeffersonville outlet indicated that there is only size 6 and 6.5 left of the cordovan Townley. SF cleaned them out :) Wish I would have jumped on it earlier.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't answer your sizing question, but the Jeffersonville outlet indicated that there is only size 6 and 6.5 left of the cordovan Townley. SF cleaned them out :) Wish I would have jumped on it earlier.
thanks for the heads up.. i'm 11.5-12, so my wallet thanks you too
smile.gif

ColtSAA45

Reaction score

Yes, they were. Check the 2000 catalog here on Page 22, lists Dundee in 3601 Black Calf, 3631 Brogue Suede, 3661 Chestnut Burnished Calf, and 3671 Merlot Burnished Calf

zchen, Thank you, that is exactly the information I was looking for. :)

matt92037

Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Based on your feedback I feel more than confident 11.5 D will fit the bill (and my feet). If the Dundees fit in between my Barrie lasted shoes and my Indys they should be perfect. Thanks again.

I own 2 pairs of Aldens in Barrie last (8.5D) and 4 pairs of AE in the 1 last (9D), including the Dundee. I found the Dundee to be roomier than the other 1 lasted shoes I own and feel more like my Indy boots (Truebalance last 8.5D). It's not so roomy that I would size down on the Dundee, but it is clearly roomier than the other 1 lasted shoes I have (Bradley, Hamptons, Wilbert). The 1 lasted shoes feel very slightly roomier than my Barrie lasted shoes, which fits my feet pretty closely without being tight anywhere. So, I think you should probably be safe with Dundees in size 11.5D since you indicated that you could use a little bit more room in your 11D Barrie lasted shoes.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
Anyone notice how wide the welt is?

That is a storm welt, no?  I have the same on my Florsheim Royal Imperials.  Perhaps someone else can chime in with more details.

I'm not sure what those welts are called, but the MacNeils are classic "gunboat" longwing bluchers, so big welts and thick soles are usually part of the aesthetic.

I own 3 pairs of LWBs and they are all pretty "gunboaty"

L-to-R: AE MacNeil, RL Sanderson (by AE), Alden LWB

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
That is a storm welt, no? I have the same on my Florsheim Royal Imperials. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more details.
It's a reverse storm welt with a double sole. I have that very pair of shoes and love them. Super comfortable and very versatile.

jjr4884

Reaction score
To All:

Anyone know what Color and Style this great looking shoe is?

If that is AE, that has to be a shoe that is either on the 0, 3, or 8 last by looking at that toebox.... I don't know the model name, however it can very well be an older shoe that is discontinued. Regardless, if you want this shoe, your best bet is getting the Strand in bourbon color. They have brown as well, but the bourbon is really nice and have a very warm tone to it compared to the brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

Weren't the old Clifton's a 6 eyelit full brogued captoe? Edit, the origina Cliftons did not have a toe medallion

The only differences between these and the Strand is the "serrated" brogueing along the cap, foxing, quarters, foxing... the toe medallion is smaller as well, and they are on a different last.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
What a great looking pair of shoes.

When I looked at the AE description, they are made with a 7 Last - which is exactly what my old Saffords were, instead of the current 5-Last in the Strand. This may be a better fit for me.

Anyone notice how wide the welt is?

That is a storm welt, no? I have the same on my Florsheim Royal Imperials. Perhaps someone else can chime in with more details.

I'm not sure what those welts are called, but the MacNeils are classic "gunboat" longwing bluchers, so big welts and thick soles are usually part of the aesthetic.

I own 3 pairs of LWBs and they are all pretty "gunboaty"

L-to-R: AE MacNeil, RL Sanderson (by AE), Alden LWB

It's a reverse storm welt with a double sole. I have that very pair of shoes and love them. Super comfortable and very versatile.

There is some inconsistency between shoe manufacterers when it comes to welt terminology. The MacNeil has a Split-Reverse Welt using AE's terminology. Some call them Split-Reverse Storm Welts. It isn't really doing anything to keep water out of your shoe other than adding a few more millimeters of height to the profile of the welt/sole edge. I suppose it could theoretically keep out a bit more water if you are walking down a sloppy wet sidewalk by adding the small amout of extra height, but that's all it can do. Water during a heavy storm, or if you step in a deep puddle will still spill over the top and have an entry route underneath the insole and into the cork cavity where it is stitched at the inseam. It is really more of an aesthetic addition to the shoe to give it a heavier appearance.

True storm welts (see this source: http://www.barbourcorp.com/pdf/welting_catalog.pdf) are built slightly differently and have more of a rounded bead effect up against the leather. It will act more like weatherstripping on a door. It will do a bit more to keep water out, but even they are not perfect. It is simply the best that can really be expected short of going to more modern methods and materials such as Gore-tex or using molded rubber soles that bond to the leather upper like many hiking/work/hunting boots.

Sometimes you will see a line of stitching around the upturned edge of the split-reverse welt, and many people have believed that this is an additional line of stitching that is sealing the upturned edge using waxed thread to prevent water entry. This isn't the case, however. The stitching in those cases is false, and it is purely decorative. These are sometimes call "fudge welts." Here is an AE McTavish using decorative stitching around the upturned edge of the split-reverse welt:

If the shoe is Goodyear-welted, these are pretty much the main options.

Alternatively, a Norwegian welt (not to be confused with the Norwegian Split-Toe design which is a decorative stitching of the uppers) actually has two functional rows of stitching. See this diagram:

Therefore, if you see a shoe with two rows of stitching, first determine if it is Goodyear-welted, or Norwegian welt construction. If it is Goodyear-welted (as most high-end shoes are) then one of the above scenarios should apply. If it is Norwegian (again, not to be confused with the Norwegian Split-Toe design which is a decorative stitching of the uppers), then the crossection of this diagram is what you are looking at.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If that is AE, that has to be a shoe that is either on the 0, 3, or 8 last by looking at that toebox.... I don't know the model name, however it can very well be an older shoe that is discontinued. Regardless, if you want this shoe, your best bet is getting the Strand in bourbon color. They have brown as well, but the bourbon is really nice and have a very warm tone to it compared to the brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6105_1_40000000001_-1

Weren't the old Clifton's a 6 eyelit full brogued captoe? Edit, the origina Cliftons did not have a toe medallion

The only differences between these and the Strand is the "serrated" brogueing along the cap, foxing, quarters, foxing... the toe medallion is smaller as well, and they are on a different last.

I don't think that is an AE shoe. The shoe in the picture is 270 degree welted. While AE did 270 welts for a while on their Executive line a couple of years ago, the shoe in the picture isn't one of those. Also, the stitching in the welt is much finer than AE's stitching (more sitches per inch). I think the pictured shoe is most likely of English origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads