1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Distinguished Member

In other words, we need to start eating more horse meat. Steak du cheval anyone?

2. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior Member

Not a bad deal?!?! That's an amazing deal. Are you leaning any direction for what you may want to have made?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2013

3. calidist

calidist Senior Member

4. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior Member

People speculated that the RL last is similar to the 2 last. I don't own any 2 lasted shoes so I can't say for sure, but I don't think it's all that similar to the 5 last, at least not my 5 lasted shoes (Elgin & Neumok).

5. calidist

calidist Senior Member

That makes sense given your description. Sadly, the 2 last is the worst fitting last for my feet.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Yeah, I'm contemplating returning the ones I got with the blotches for $379 and paying the $200 more for firsts through a custom offer. It's also possible I should size down from 8.5D to 8E, but I'm unsure without trying on both. Wish Nordstrom had E widths I could try on.

7. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior Member

Your thoughts were similar to mine. I would like the AE version of the Alden Longwing Blucher in cigar.

[​IMG]

Trying to picture the MacNeil didn't quite get me there. Maybe a shell version of the Larchmont with a reverse welt double sole? The 333 last fits me great. Does anyone else have an idea?

8. calidist

calidist Senior Member

As you probably know, many people go a half size down in size and a letter size up in width with the 5 last. I go a full size down and two letters up in width (7.5EEE compared to 8.5E on other more TTS-fitting AE lasts).

9. Dugan

Dugan Well-Known Member

I'd imagine anything Horween offers as long as you're willing to wait if need be.

10. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior Member

A few days back I was asking if the Aberdeens that I bought off of eBay might fit. They are a 10B and fit pretty well. I am wearing a 10C in my Strands and AE 5ths. I think the soft leather allows for a little more comfort. I could possible go a little longer but I think wider would have been a problem. I really like the look for a casual shoe with jeans and khakis. Here's a picture before I added some conditioner which took care of a any discoloration. I think I got a fabulous deal for $79 including shipping as they look brand new. :slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer:

[​IMG]

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior Member

My friend, it sounds like it's time for a visit to your local optometrist [​IMG]

12. MDeKelver

MDeKelver Senior Member

Eat up! Filet de Chevaline. We need a new name to get more market uptake. Perhaps 'fragrant lean meat' to paraphrase Chinese...for dog.

13. calidist

calidist Senior Member

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Distinguished Member

Thanks for finding and posting that kentyman!

My first thought was the same as yours and dancingbear. I still do not own a LWB [​IMG] But not sure how the 7 last fits me. The 8 last just does not fit me at all despite several people saying it is their best fitting last. So I was afraid to take a chance. If I thought it did then I would have the MacNeil made in Dark Brown shell which from what someone said the other day is almost identical to Alden Cigar. But I want to get the MacNeil in burgundy shell first.
    Yes and they have some walnut and cappuccino but very limited and no more available at this time. And of course the standard burgundy, brown, and black are available. When she said that she would send me a swatch of walnut and cappuccino I told her there was no need to as I still had the one she sent from last July. But they want each of us to know exactly what the color will look like because of the variations that exist in these more exotic colors. They will cut a piece out of a hide to send us and mark the hide to match so that when you get your shoes it will be an identical match. One of the things I like about AE is the attention to detail which helps in customer satisfaction IMO.
    [​IMG]
    All 3 boots and shoes from Left to Right are walnut shell. But you can see the difference in color between them. Time plays a roll in color too as the lighter shell ages it tends to darken IME.
    [​IMG] Yes please!

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Distinguished Member

KTown, great strategy.

I would also vote for the Players in walnut - to me, it is the best looking walnut calf shoe. However, be aware that it runs very narrow, as it on the 2 last. Plan on possibly having to return them if they don't fit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.