1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SouthNarc

SouthNarc Senior member

Patrick you make me want to replace my ancient digital camera, especially considering that the one in my phone is better than it is [​IMG] But I also know how well you take care of your shoes and the work you put into them. Beautifully done. With luck this weekend the sun will come out (and it will warm up!) and I can take a better shot of them outside instead of 60 cycle sunlight indoors if time allows. The Cambridge that I posted earlier today are the ones that I have done the black polish/cordovan polish rotation on for the longest. But only apply wax maybe every 3-4 months and I try not to let it build up. Plus use Reno occasionally which strips some of it off. This picture is a little better than that cell phone pic I took today and I took it the last time I waxed them: [​IMG] Your Cambridges are why I'm considering that specific shoe, and the reason I've checked fire so far is that all the other pics I've seen of them appear lighter. Ideally I'd have a Cambridge with your color and Parick's shine!

2. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

I finally gave up removing factory polish off on shell cordovan with saphir renovateur and mac method! after using 1/3 renovateur bottle on 1 pair of shoes. I literally still can see uneven polish from factory. If I knew, I am going to have this much trouble with removing uneven polish off from shoe,
    I definitely exchanged for other pair.....

Just placed order for renomat. Can someone advise me on using renomat on AE cordovan based on experience?
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2013
  3. phototristan

phototristan Senior member

1/3 a can? Wow that's way much on one pair of shoes.

I doubt it's polish that you are seeing, it's likely dye.

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I have Walnut Calf's too - and I was using the AE products up until this year when I was converted to Saphir - the full (not partial) procedure of both maintaining and restoring my shoes.

By all means - make sure you do not second guess the colors - and invest $8 in the official Saphire printed Color Guide - which is a professional printed exact color chart - where each color has a small hole in which you place your shoe under it for a perfect match. I use the same chart for all my leather goods too (jackets, wallets, briefcases, backpacks).

And although many will suggest that the 2-3 step process - it is best to invest a little more in the 5-step process (see below)

[​IMG]
    Saphir Color Chart - for that perfect color match

For complete restoration, go in this order:

1) Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner

2) Saphir Dubbin Graisse Conditioner

3) Saphir Renovateur

4) Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish

The above will complete the original Allen Edmonds matte shine

If you wish to ADD a high gloss to the above, then your final application will be:

5) Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish

For regular maintenance, go in this order:

1) Saphir Renovateur

2) Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish

The above will complete the original Allen Edmonds matte shine

If you wish to ADD a high gloss to the above, then your final application will be:

3) Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish

Hangerproject has complete details through each step.

Free returns on seconds are possible. It depends on how severe the second is based on the representation of what you thought you were purchasing. If their office said "no free returns", you may wish to examine the purchase. If you have to pay for the return, USP Prioirity is not that much - considering the amount of the value of your purchase - maybe $11-$15

It would be great for Allen Edmonds to partner with the National Park Lodges, which are operated under a commercial license (especially with Glacier & Yellowstone National Lodges)

Imagine arriving at the lodge on the Amtrak - checking into a 100+ year old historic lodge - and spending good portions of the days or evenings in the Great Room with your Allen Edmond shoes, quality leisure attire, and a good book:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With the above, my favorite Allen Edmonds boot would be the Long Branch:
    [​IMG]

There are two rolls of numbers on the inside of the shoe. What are the numbers?

David

5. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

I did not use 1/3 bottle in one night. I did this over 2~3 months and I am 100% sure it's not dye. B/c

1. renovateur is not strong enough to remove dye from shell
    2. I still get black polish on cloth

6. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    See my post here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/19695#post_6305833

When converting from a non-Saphir polished shoe, Kirby at Hangerproject.com strongly recommends to start with Saphir Reno'Mat Leather Cleaner and Saphir Dubbin Graisse Conditioner before going through to the Saphir Renovateur and remaining steps. But he also has very special instructions for the Cordovan shoe - probably worth the free phone call to him.

7. phototristan

Disagree. Take a dyed shoe that has dried and has not yet been wax polished. Take some Renovateur to it and color will come off all over your rag.

8. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Oh thank you! I just checked his website and it was really helpful

9. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Well, you are not really helping but trying to convince me that I am ruining dye on my shoes. I always use renovateur to new shoes. All my AE, Alden and english made shoes never had experience which renovateur removed dye on shoes.
    Thanks anyways

10. phototristan

---

11. thecooldude33

thecooldude33 Active Member

Normal creasing for relatively new park avenue shoes?

Hello all,

I purchased a pair of park avenues a few months ago. Great shoes, but I was wondering if this creasing is normal with the wear? I probably have worn them out under a dozen times. I am sure the shoe fits me (I am a size 10D) and I use shoe trees. I have included a picture of the sole to give you an idea of the wear and tear I put on the shoe. Please note that I took the pictures under very unflattering lighting conditions, so the creases do look a lot worse than they would with normal daylight.

I appreciate your help.

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Correct... Lasts aren't perfectly flat across the bottom, to accommodate the natural "roll" of the footstep. Imagine having to break-in a 12 iron sole to your natural steps...

With regard to the similarities between the Webgem referenced and the Shelton, I believe it is the same upper patterning. The noticeable differences are the split-reversed welt and natural sole. I think the split-reversed welt helps make the shoe more casual (i.e. McTavish)

13. ryansto

ryansto Well-Known Member

Assuming that an intern writes Paul's responses=tugging on Santa's beard.
    Paul responding directly=the beard doesn't budge...[​IMG]

14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

They look a little dry. Have you conditioned the leather at all?

15. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

What do you base this on? You are asking the most basic questions in the Alden & shoe care thread, calling yourself a novice. Yet you come here and answer questions that are laughably inaccurate.

For instance:

You surely don't need validation from me or anyone. You are absolutely correct. It is not dye, Renovateur won't remove dye from leather.

16. calidist

calidist Senior member

Maybe we can do a small group order? [​IMG]

17. phototristan

he said he is seeing unevenness on shell cordovan, not leather. they are different. shell cordovan dye shows uneveness fairly easily whereas not calf leather. as i originally said, most likely the unevenness is the dye, not wax.

you would do well to read through this - http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...s-re-dyed-lighter-shell-cordovan-(Lots-o-pix)

18. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

Tough crowd!

It's a long story for this late. A summary: a little lift in back is fine, even good . Too much is hard on your foot under the arch. Flat appeals more on the shelf.

Best wiahes,
    Paul

1 person likes this.
  19. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Question about shoe care:

I bought a pair of chili Regent Streets and a tube of AE Premium Shoe Polish in Chili. The Regent Street has smooth burnished calf leather around the cap while the vamp is grained calf.

Is it ok to use the premium shoe polish on the whole shoe or should I only use it on the part that is made of smooth calf? What should I put on the grained calf?

20. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

mediahound, you must misunderstood my original post. I said uneven polishing done by factory not uneven cordovan dye colour. This matter had been discussed by few other AE shell owners so I wanted to learn from their experience.

And why would i get disappointed? I knew your comment wasn't correct on renovateur romoving dye but I didn't want to be rude and start flame.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.