• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really disappointed AE is discontinuing the 5th street, as it is their only formal boot offering, and the best looking.

Wonder if they plan on replacing it with another balmoral boot?

delmar

Reaction score
In other news, I bought a pair of the Haight chelsea boots a couple weeks ago at the Port Washington outlet store. 2nds for $219.00. I looked them over pretty well and couldn't figure out why they were 2nds, except for some very minor scuffs or tool marks. I went with a half size under my normal size--they run kind of long, in my opinion. I'd post pictures but it'd be a waste of time since they look exactly like the AE website pics.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm really disappointed AE is discontinuing the 5th street, as it is their only formal boot offering, and the best looking.

Wonder if they plan on replacing it with another balmoral boot?

I think there was hope (and speculation) that the fifth street is being discontinued due to new boots coming out. I'd really like a nice cap toe boot. I've held off getting these, even though they are a great deal now.

EDIT: Duh! I mean PLAIN cap toe boot, as the fifth street is a cap toe.

Last edited:

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I like the Hampton, too. I actually like its design better than the Broadstreet, but the Walnut and White combination was a bit more striking than I would like. The Walnut and Bone of the Broadstreet is a bit more subdued, in my opinion.

I have bone/walnut and brown/walnut (prior web gem).
Agreed with everyone else, tons of compliments and it takes cajones, or at the very least, confidence to wear them.
I pair them with sport coats, ties, and slacks on more casual days. Haven't been able to pair them with suits yet, but maybe just haven't found the right combination of colors.
The navy/brown (current web gem) is interesting, may have to give it more thought.

Thanks to all of you who responded to my Broadstreet question- I appreciate your thoughts. I am living overseas in Napoli right now so of course there are a great many options for footwear here- but it is not cheap. I have 2 pair of Italian shoes and I could buy 4 pair of AEs with the same money. I want to buy things while living here in Napoli but these AEs are really take-the-cake gorgeous.
Thanks again

mm1212

Reaction score
Thoughts on wearing black Sohos with a tuxedo? Looking into a practical alternative to patent leather shoes.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thoughts on wearing black Sohos with a tuxedo? Looking into a practical alternative to patent leather shoes.

Shine 'em up nice and go for it. If you want to get really fancy, track down or make a pair of black silk ribbon shoelaces.

Last edited:

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My brother got 2 pairs that he bought during the $50 off one pair, $150 off 2 pairs from a few weeks ago. One was a red Neumok, and the other a walnut boot, can't remember which. I can post pics of anyone wants them, of the Neumok.

Also, the flaw with them is that on one side the tongue was accidentally stitched to the upper when they were doing some stitching for the brogueing. It makes it a little harder to lace, but that's fine.

TheSizzle

Reaction score

Also, the flaw with them is that on one side the tongue was accidentally stitched to the upper when they were doing some stitching for the brogueing. It makes it a little harder to lace, but that's fine.

Are you sure that's their flaw? AE commonly stitches one side of the tongue to the vamp on their balmorals to keep it in place, as opposed to allowing it to shift and twist while worn.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Are you sure that's their flaw? AE commonly stitches one side of the tongue to the vamp on their balmorals to keep it in place, as opposed to allowing it to shift and twist while worn.

I've got a dollar on Sizzle.

Seriously, that "feature" is even more confusing when sometimes it's done so delicately that it gets broken in the first couple of wears. I remember during the Lauren Lindrick craze people left and right complaining about breaking the stitch with the first wear or saying theirs didn't have it when, after close inspection, they saw they had already torn it.

It's proven to be helpful on my shoes that have it while I have a pair of Alden boots lacking it and desperately wish that they had it - somehow the tongue always finds it's way over to the side of my foot.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've got a dollar on Sizzle.

Seriously, that "feature" is even more confusing when sometimes it's done so delicately that it gets broken in the first couple of wears. I remember during the Lauren Lindrick craze people left and right complaining about breaking the stitch with the first wear or saying theirs didn't have it when, after close inspection, they saw they had already torn it.

It's proven to be helpful on my shoes that have it while I have a pair of Alden boots lacking it and desperately wish that they had it - somehow the tongue always finds it's way over to the side of my foot.

I had the same problem, also on a pair of Aldens, and I had my cobbler sew the side of the tongue to the vamp. I have some other shoes that came that way. i think it's a great feature, especially on dress shoes, as it keeps the tongue in the right place and looking neat.

In any case, sounds like Althanis' brother got a couple great pairs without noticeable defects, which sometimes happens with AE seconds.

Last edited:

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think there was hope (and speculation) that the fifth street is being discontinued due to new boots coming out. I'd really like a nice cap toe boot. I've held off getting these, even though they are a great deal now.

EDIT: Duh! I mean PLAIN cap toe boot, as the fifth street is a cap toe.

Totally with you on that.

I agree with the others, do it. But will also defer any and all Tux questions to Adam.

Use good paste wax not AE premium polish or a cream. When you think they are ready wear them in public where other professionals will be and compare them. Not to other men's shoes as you likely will not find many if any men with black shoes polished to a high shine. However females often wear black patent leather shoes, when your shine and glow match those you are ready.

jjr4884 posted a few pages back about using blue polish on black shoes and even captured it on camera which I wasn't sure was even possible, that is something worth doing IMO. If you showed up for general inspection like that I would gig you as it was out of uniform and broke the "rules of uniformity". However for special details like burial and flag detail I was fine with it, especially if everyone on detail did it. Topside or on land in the bright sun of the tropics or Gulf the blue hue looks fantastic with dark dress blues or black pants. Below decks in 60 cycle sunlight it was much harder to see, but still adds a subtle and attractive depth of color that I always appreciated. Good luck.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Agree. All of my AE balmorals have the tongue stitched on one side.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's wrong in talking about the Magnanni's at Nordstrom Rack as being a quality shoe, but right in that you see all kinds of crazy AE make-ups and shoes that have been discontinued for years. AE dumps their seconds and discontinued items that they cannot get rid of on the Rack, but bizarrely prices them in the $200-$230 range. In the last year alone, I've seen variations of current shoes that I never knew existed from suede fifth avenues to various colors of suede for the Big Sur and MacClains.

The other day I spotted a black blucher that I had never seen or heard of. I forgot the name that was on the insole, otherwise I would have looked them up to see how old they actually were. It was quite ugly to say the least. I also spotted a black Player's shoe with a double sole and a full length topy on the sole and heel. The soles looked like they were nearly half an inch thick. I was hardly strong enough to flex the shoe with my hands. By the looks of them, they would have lasted for years before needing a recrafting. Unfortunately they were several sizes too small, but I enjoy walking up and down all the isles just to see what random AE's I can find just for the fun of it. It's a good learning experience sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics