Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

I saw these were on clearance but they don't have my size and also these scare me more than the Broadstreet. These would really take some big-boy nuts to pull off! They are really beautiful though.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I know exactly how I'd wear those. With a linen suit while in attendance at the Kentucky Derby! [​IMG]

3. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Today, let's kick it old school with some longwings.

[​IMG]

4. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I think the Navy/Brown Broadstreet would be fairly easy to wear. Probably with navy or grey pants, or jeans. They seem to be similar to a pair of Tricker's Keswick Leather Soul carried a while ago:

[​IMG]

I bought a pair of those Keswicks to wear with denims, but now I mostly wear them with navy or grey chinos.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

5. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I've worn them with sport coat/blazer, slacks, shirt and tie as well as with a light tan or medium tan wool summer suit. I've even topped everything off with a complimentary panama hat and the look was awesome! The shoes look equally stunning when worn with slacks and a shirt. I have never worn them with linen, mainly because I don't own any linen apparel. Believe me, you won't believe the compliments and attention you will receive.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I don't think you have a bloody clue what you are talking about. Magnanni is no where near KC quality. They are either bologna or blake constructed. some use rubber soles, other leather. Thin fragile leather? ok, whatever.

Strand with a double sole huh? ok, whatever.

One of the few things you've said that are somewhat accurate. As shown in the video on their website, the soles are glued. If you can get them for around $70, they'd probably be an ok beater shoe.

ok, whatever :rolleyes:

7. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I am talking about my experience with the Nordstroms Rack in my area, and I have a very good idea of what I am talking about, I know what I see. I know Magnanni is a great shoe maker, that name got tossed in with the rest in error, however most of the Magnanni shoes they have there are the lower end rubber soled models and are definitely older styled as well. I actually picked up a pair of Magnanni Mateo, black cap toe lace up. $210, which is a steal because originally they go for $350ish. I've had my eyes on them and have been researching Magnanni for a while now, so I am familiar with their quality. The hugo boss shoes (square toe'd circa Aldo 1999,) some of the To Boot, and "Bruno" are significantly less quality than any of our standards.

Yes, strand with a clunky sole. How is this not possible that it was a factory defect with a messed up sole? And most of the AE models that are at the Rack are older, beat up, discontinued models that I personally don't find attractive in the least bit. Think about it, Nordstrom's Rack ends up with left overs, that is a fact. They aren't filled with AE's hottest selling shoes. Majority of the AE shoes are older modeled cap toe bluchers or loafers. At least in my area there aren't many balmorals to choose from for AE.

8. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I like the Hampton, too. I actually like its design better than the Broadstreet, but the Walnut and White combination was a bit more striking than I would like. The Walnut and Bone of the Broadstreet is a bit more subdued, in my opinion.

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I love the Hampton, but in the solid colors. I purchased the brown version.

Besides the white standing out more than the bone, the shape of the toe piece really accentuates the novelty of the shoe, to me. I hate to say this, but it looks borderline "clown" shoe in the brown and white. Definitely more outgoing than the Broadstreet, though you can't really call the Broadstreet subtle, either..

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

double post

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

He's wrong in talking about the Magnanni's at Nordstrom Rack as being a quality shoe, but right in that you see all kinds of crazy AE make-ups and shoes that have been discontinued for years. AE dumps their seconds and discontinued items that they cannot get rid of on the Rack, but bizarrely prices them in the $200-$230 range. In the last year alone, I've seen variations of current shoes that I never knew existed from suede fifth avenues to various colors of suede for the Big Sur and MacClains.

12. millerbk

millerbk Active Member

For people that have the Norwich can you please provide your experience with the fitting of this shoe? Did it run TTS for you or did you have to do down a half size? I normally wear a 10.5D in AE shoes but when I ordered a 10.5 D in the Cordovan Norwich it was huge on my foot. My heel was almost coming out of the shoe with the buckle at the tightest setting. So I returned and went with a 10 D and that shoe is way to tight in the toe box. I guess my next step is to try a 10 E that should take care of the toe box but I hope it doesn't loosen up the heel to much. I love these shoes and never expected to have a difficult time fitting these shoes. I don't no why this last would be so difficult to fit. Any info anybody can provide would be much appreciated.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Though not the Norwich, I had a similar problem with a single monk. I ended up with the equivalent of a 10.5C. The 10E was too wide.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

If they offered a walnut Hampton, I'd be all over it.

15. delmar

delmar Senior member

I have the Norwich in calf and cordovan. I wear 12E. The calfskin pair are on the snug side so I wear the thinnest socks I can find when I wear them and I get along fine. The cordovan pair are a bit looser--but not too loose--which makes for a better fit. Mine fit, more or less, true to size. But they would be perfect if they had just a smudge more wiggle room in the toes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.