• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
AE has the Hampton on sale for $197 for 1st quality.
I saw these were on clearance but they don't have my size and also these scare me more than the Broadstreet. These would really take some big-boy nuts to pull off! They are really beautiful though.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know exactly how I'd wear those. With a linen suit while in attendance at the Kentucky Derby!
nod[1].gif

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score
I have bone/walnut and brown/walnut (prior web gem).
Agreed with everyone else, tons of compliments and it takes cajones, or at the very least, confidence to wear them.
I pair them with sport coats, ties, and slacks on more casual days. Haven't been able to pair them with suits yet, but maybe just haven't found the right combination of colors.
The navy/brown (current web gem) is interesting, may have to give it more thought.

I also am really digging the navy/brown.... however i would never get my money's worth out of those....

I think the Navy/Brown Broadstreet would be fairly easy to wear. Probably with navy or grey pants, or jeans. They seem to be similar to a pair of Tricker's Keswick Leather Soul carried a while ago:

ttt1.jpg

I bought a pair of those Keswicks to wear with denims, but now I mostly wear them with navy or grey chinos.

Last edited:

wgiceman

Reaction score

I have bone/walnut and brown/walnut (prior web gem).
Agreed with everyone else, tons of compliments and it takes cajones, or at the very least, confidence to wear them.
I pair them with sport coats, ties, and slacks on more casual days. Haven't been able to pair them with suits yet, but maybe just haven't found the right combination of colors.
The navy/brown (current web gem) is interesting, may have to give it more thought.

I've worn them with sport coat/blazer, slacks, shirt and tie as well as with a light tan or medium tan wool summer suit. I've even topped everything off with a complimentary panama hat and the look was awesome! The shoes look equally stunning when worn with slacks and a shirt. I have never worn them with linen, mainly because I don't own any linen apparel. Believe me, you won't believe the compliments and attention you will receive.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well AE, not so much.  Sorry I will correct myself.  Majority of the Cole Haans will have the stamp on the sole, but they won't have those "island" rubber sole pieces that you find on the bottom of most of their shoes.  Also, the stamping on the inside is much less detailed than other pairs.  Other brands like To Boot NY, Hugo, and Magnanni all over some of the ugliest, dated, ****** shoes I have ever seen.  Kenneth Cole quality... rubber glued soles, thin fragile leather, and ugly huge metal buckles.  Original price $329.95 ******.... Same with the Bruno Magli's they offer... "Bruno" by Bruno Magli... or something marsupialed like that.  $15 shoes....  As for the AE's, they are all old and ugly, for the most part.  The one legit strand that i saw had a double sole and a slip in padded insole.  Disgust lol.

I don't think you have a bloody clue what you are talking about. Magnanni is no where near KC quality. They are either bologna or blake constructed. some use rubber soles, other leather. Thin fragile leather? ok, whatever.

Strand with a double sole huh? ok, whatever.

I don't know much about them, however I don't believe they are goodyear welted.  For a $150 shoe (thats the going rate at most DSW's) I wouldn't waste my money.  The leather doesn't not seem to be good quality, very thin compared to my AE's and other shoes.  In addition, most of the ones I have seen (even the double monks that i liked, for a couple minutes) have way too much of a Euro look.  Too sleek/pointy for my preference.

One of the few things you've said that are somewhat accurate. As shown in the video on their website, the soles are glued. If you can get them for around $70, they'd probably be an ok beater shoe.

They are all discontinued models that are ugly, and that AE got rid of for $150 back when they stopped making them.  Now, a year or two later, the Rack sells them for $170-$200.  lol ya ok thanks but no thanks...

ok, whatever :rolleyes:

jjr4884

Reaction score
I don't think you have a bloody clue what you are talking about. Magnanni is no where near KC quality. They are either bologna or blake constructed. some use rubber soles, other leather. Thin fragile leather? ok, whatever.

One of the few things you've said that are somewhat accurate. As shown in the video on their website, the soles are glued. If you can get them for around $70, they'd probably be an ok beater shoe.
ok, whatever
rolleyes.gif

I am talking about my experience with the Nordstroms Rack in my area, and I have a very good idea of what I am talking about, I know what I see. I know Magnanni is a great shoe maker, that name got tossed in with the rest in error, however most of the Magnanni shoes they have there are the lower end rubber soled models and are definitely older styled as well. I actually picked up a pair of Magnanni Mateo, black cap toe lace up. $210, which is a steal because originally they go for $350ish. I've had my eyes on them and have been researching Magnanni for a while now, so I am familiar with their quality. The hugo boss shoes (square toe'd circa Aldo 1999,) some of the To Boot, and "Bruno" are significantly less quality than any of our standards.

Yes, strand with a clunky sole. How is this not possible that it was a factory defect with a messed up sole? And most of the AE models that are at the Rack are older, beat up, discontinued models that I personally don't find attractive in the least bit. Think about it, Nordstrom's Rack ends up with left overs, that is a fact. They aren't filled with AE's hottest selling shoes. Majority of the AE shoes are older modeled cap toe bluchers or loafers. At least in my area there aren't many balmorals to choose from for AE.

wgiceman

Reaction score

AE has the Hampton on sale for $197 for 1st quality.
I like the Hampton, too. I actually like its design better than the Broadstreet, but the Walnut and White combination was a bit more striking than I would like. The Walnut and Bone of the Broadstreet is a bit more subdued, in my opinion.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like the Hampton, too. I actually like its design better than the Broadstreet, but the Walnut and White combination was a bit more striking than I would like. The Walnut and Bone of the Broadstreet is a bit more subdued, in my opinion.

I love the Hampton, but in the solid colors. I purchased the brown version.

Besides the white standing out more than the bone, the shape of the toe piece really accentuates the novelty of the shoe, to me. I hate to say this, but it looks borderline "clown" shoe in the brown and white. Definitely more outgoing than the Broadstreet, though you can't really call the Broadstreet subtle, either..

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ok, whatever
rolleyes.gif

He's wrong in talking about the Magnanni's at Nordstrom Rack as being a quality shoe, but right in that you see all kinds of crazy AE make-ups and shoes that have been discontinued for years. AE dumps their seconds and discontinued items that they cannot get rid of on the Rack, but bizarrely prices them in the $200-$230 range. In the last year alone, I've seen variations of current shoes that I never knew existed from suede fifth avenues to various colors of suede for the Big Sur and MacClains.

millerbk

Reaction score
For people that have the Norwich can you please provide your experience with the fitting of this shoe? Did it run TTS for you or did you have to do down a half size? I normally wear a 10.5D in AE shoes but when I ordered a 10.5 D in the Cordovan Norwich it was huge on my foot. My heel was almost coming out of the shoe with the buckle at the tightest setting. So I returned and went with a 10 D and that shoe is way to tight in the toe box. I guess my next step is to try a 10 E that should take care of the toe box but I hope it doesn't loosen up the heel to much. I love these shoes and never expected to have a difficult time fitting these shoes. I don't no why this last would be so difficult to fit. Any info anybody can provide would be much appreciated.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For people that have the Norwich can you please provide your experience with the fitting of this shoe? Did it run TTS for you or did you have to do down a half size? I normally wear a 10.5D in AE shoes but when I ordered a 10.5 D in the Cordovan Norwich it was huge on my foot. My heel was almost coming out of the shoe with the buckle at the tightest setting. So I returned and went with a 10 D and that shoe is way to tight in the toe box. I guess my next step is to try a 10 E that should take care of the toe box but I hope it doesn't loosen up the heel to much. I love these shoes and never expected to have a difficult time fitting these shoes. I don't no why this last would be so difficult to fit. Any info anybody can provide would be much appreciated.
Though not the Norwich, I had a similar problem with a single monk. I ended up with the equivalent of a 10.5C. The 10E was too wide.

delmar

Reaction score
I have the Norwich in calf and cordovan. I wear 12E. The calfskin pair are on the snug side so I wear the thinnest socks I can find when I wear them and I get along fine. The cordovan pair are a bit looser--but not too loose--which makes for a better fit. Mine fit, more or less, true to size. But they would be perfect if they had just a smudge more wiggle room in the toes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads