• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElDave

Reaction score
Not a big fan of kilted loafers, but the Nashua looks much better in a single color than in two-tone.

The Chukkamok is hideous on its own, but might look good when the top is covered by pants...although it makes my wonder why they didn't just do an unlined LWB shoe.

The Strandmok is definitely going to be in my wardrobe this summer. The price is nice, too. I'd really like if they'd abandon the "mok" naming system though.

I haven't kept up with AE's new models that well, but the Grand Cayman is a formidable combination of every bad loafer characteristic - faux lizard, a bit, and sneaker-type rubber sole.

adsmith4

Reaction score
Check the AE website - new models.

Nashua in English Tan, Ashton in Brown, McAllister in Bourbon (with combination sole), Chukkamok, Strandmok, and Banchory look interesting to me. And there are a few more new styles and colors.

Chris

Just checked them out, thanks. What's your thoughts on the ones they added?

adsmith4

Reaction score
Love the Tan Nashua and Bourbon McAllister. The others are going to have to grow on me.

Chris

I like the McAllister and the Harrison, the others aren't quite my style. The Chukkamok was my least favorite, very awkward looking I thought.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was at a Nordstrom Rack today and saw a pair of what I think are the Parklands (discontinued loafer on the 8 last) in my size. I contemplated getting, but decided I don't need them. If they were on clearance at something like $100, I would have likely bought, but they were $219.

Anyway, I thought they looked familiar, but I couldn't remember the model name. The insole did not state the model (light brown insole); but the box said "Welts". I was thinking "what model is the AE Welts?" Then I realized it must have just been a random AE box that had been used to store or transport welts. What it was doing at Nordstrom, I have no idea. Perhaps this was old stock that AE had laying around that they just threw in a box and sent to Nordstrom?

This led me to do some Googling, and to bore you some more, I found a post by the AE CEO that definitively states that Nordstrom shoes are not different quality than AE direct-sold shoes. Here is the link to his post: http://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/...quality-of-Allen-Edmonds-on-the-decline/page5

Go to post #122. The reason I linked to the whole page is that he is responding to post #101 (top of page), where someone is asserting that the Nordstrom shoes have a different build quality than AE-sold shoes, because the stitching pattern is different. It turns out that AE switched to using a thicker thread for the sole, and this was done for the entire line. The CEO states directly that Nordstrom shoes are first quality, using the same construction as all AE shoes.

Now, you can argue that he doesn't mention the Rack. But he does say that they clearly differentiate the made-in-the-USA welted shoes from the made-in-the-DR cemented shoes, and there are no other welted shoes anywhere.

So I think the answer to the Rack quality question is that they must be selling either older stock models or shoes from Nordstrom mainline stores, that may also include the Nordstrom-only models, such as the Clifton. I also take this to mean (and have always thought ) that the beat-up shoes at the Rack are likely returns or display models from the mainline stores.

So the Rack may have some funky, outdated models, and it's possible that Nordstrom reserves some models only for the Rack (though I doubt it); but there is no "lower quality" AE line that is made only for outlets. That much is clear.

This Summer, the AE CEO acknowledged they dump seconds on the Rack in addition to all the close outs, old stock, and funky variations.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Only "new" shoe in an AA width is that McAllister, in two of the most gorgeous colors Allen Edmonds makes... it looks fantastic, but my stable has no need for a brogued-out balmoral. I would be all over that navy Banchory to go with linen or seersucker in the summer if it was available in my size.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're light purple 30" 1901 laces (Nordstrom brand) that I picked up because they're not waxed, and they really give the shoes a more casual look than the thinner, waxed AE variety. I think they came in a variety pack for about $20 for seven colors or $5 by themselves.

I might eventually swap them over to flat laces though.

That's a good deal. I hadn't thought to look at Nordstrom.

That's pretty much what I was thinking, but I doubt I'll wait that long to order them.

The Strandmok is high on my hit list. Sadly, I was hoping for an Olive Strandmok. But it doesnt like that model will be going into production.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Now that I have both AE shell and Alden shell I sure notice a difference in finish and in Particular the shine. Is it just a matter of time with the Mac method to bring the shine up on AE. I seem plenty of nice pictures of great shine on Alden but not so much for AE. Any one have a couple of pictures of there shel with a nice Mac Method shine.

I have 4 pairs of shell cordovan shoes. They are, in order of acquisition, AE Bradley, Alden cigar LWB, AE cappuccino Dundee, and Brooks Brothers/Alden color 8 Leisure Hand-sewn. Both AEs are shinier than the Aldens, although the cigar LWB is catching up with wear. I think most of what I've read suggests that Alden shell shines up better, but my experience has been the opposite so far.

Here are a couple of pics of my cappuccino Dundees (same pics I've posted earlier in this thread). These were treated with Alden's Leather Defender prior to wearing. Other than that, I maintain them with Saphir renovator and once in a very long while (like once a year) apply some Alden brown paste wax on them.

Shiny

Reaction score

This Summer, the AE CEO acknowledged they dump seconds on the Rack in addition to all the close outs, old stock, and funky variations.

Don't they stamp the 2nds in the sole with a special letter or symbol? That would be an easy way to tell.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

I have 4 pairs of shell cordovan shoes. They are, in order of acquisition, AE Bradley, Alden cigar LWB, AE cappuccino Dundee, and Brooks Brothers/Alden color 8 Leisure Hand-sewn. Both AEs are shinier than the Aldens, although the cigar LWB is catching up with wear. I think most of what I've read suggests that Alden shell shines up better, but my experience has been the opposite so far.

Here are a couple of pics of my cappuccino Dundees (same pics I've posted earlier in this thread). These were treated with Alden's Leather Defender prior to wearing. Other than that, I maintain them with Saphir renovator and once in a very long while (like once a year) apply some Alden brown paste wax on them.

Great info and great shoes I will keep up my Mac method

I currently have a black shell captoe boot from Alden , burgandy shell dalton AE, a Alden ravello LWB in shell, a AE brown shell strand and on preorder a alden color 8 LWB with antique sole edge being sold by Leffot.

JohnnyGalt

Reaction score

[
Awesome shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads