• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought far enough ahead about. I've been captivated by the idea of an black alternative shoe and was coming around to the idea of gray. Not gray, gray - but rather something subtlely not jet black, like these with the gray "cloud". It hadn't occurred to me how it will wear over time as it gets worn and I think you're right, it will end up looking mottled and probably not attractive. Maybe I really should be looking for something more matte, or even a plain "charcoal" instead. Hmmm...
I do have to say it is a brave attempt to mimic JL's museum finish and from what I've seen i just needs to have a deeper finish, darker, and have more gloss. If I had room to spare I'd pick the PA and see how it would patina. The PA color is pretty close to a pair of boots I have:
8374016586_ac3bcdc4ee.jpg

ClambakeSkate

Reaction score

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought far enough ahead about. I've been captivated by the idea of an black alternative shoe and was coming around to the idea of gray. Not gray, gray - but rather something subtlely not jet black, like these with the gray "cloud". It hadn't occurred to me how it will wear over time as it gets worn and I think you're right, it will end up looking mottled and probably not attractive.

Maybe I really should be looking for something more matte, or even a plain "charcoal" instead. Hmmm...

I believe it was this thread, forgive me if it wasn't, where someone posted some black shoes that had been polished with navy polish. They looked great.

Maybe take a pair of black shoes you don't mind experimenting on and try a few different colors of polish. You'll only be out the cost of polish and not the entire price of shoes.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi All,

Long time lurcker now making some posts, im looking to maybe pick up 2 more AEs, im torn between the following;

Note my job is business casual though Ive got no chinos, I do sometimes wear full suit regardless of the job, i have AE players in walnut and Fifth Street Boot in Burnished brown.

AE Long Branch - Brown Waxy
Strand - Walnut, Burnished Brown
McAllister - Merlot
Mctavish - Black Wax infused
Neumock  - brown leather

Thoughts? Im not into buying any PAs or Fifth Street black shoes as I really dont need any black shoes (though I do like to look of the Mctavish in black wax with the brown sole/laces). Im historically someone who only wore black shoes prior to SF.

Something in shell. :slayer:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have to say it is a brave attempt to mimic JL's museum finish and from what I've seen i just needs to have a deeper finish, darker, and have more gloss.

If I had room to spare I'd pick the PA and see how it would patina.

The PA color is pretty close to a pair of boots I have:
8374016586_ac3bcdc4ee.jpg

You've been holding out on us. What do you pair with these boots in this color?

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I believe it was this thread, forgive me if it wasn't, where someone posted some black shoes that had been polished with navy polish. They looked great.

Maybe take a pair of black shoes you don't mind experimenting on and try a few different colors of polish. You'll only be out the cost of polish and not the entire price of shoes.

Hmmm, that's another interesting option I hadn't thought of. Thanks for mentioning it. I actually don't have a pair to experiment on, but with that in mind, I might just start looking for a beater pair to play around with...

horsey shoes

Reaction score
Rare find at my local Nordy Rack today... I am a huge fan of the Fairfax model and stumbled across a pair in brown!
I had to check the box label just to confirm.

I had heard stories of others finding some in brown, but thought the only released colors were black, chili, and walnut.
Needless to say I was more than happy to add these beauties to the collection.

I took a group picture with the others for good measure.

The Fairfax was the first AE shoe I purchased and actually the reason I went with AE... glad that I could add another color of my favorite model, even if they are discontinued.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good pickup. Just ordered my first pair of Farfaxes today from the Bay. $150 for a brand new pair in that same brown color. Excited to receive them.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Something in shell. :slayer:

Da GOAT, I must agree with the bad influence above. I'd suggest combining the funds to buy one pair of burgundy shell Macneils. They'll go with anything from denim to corduroys to a relatively low-key suit and you can wear them pretty much the rest of your life.

This of course presumes that the quintessential American gunboat appeals to you.

mingus2112

Reaction score
I've convinced myself this post has been much anticipated. . .so just go with it! Got my shell Polos back from Nick at B. Nelson and couldn't be happier! Photos are weird. They were pretty scratched up and cruddy when I got them, but the uppers don't look so bad in the photos. I got them back WORLDS better, but the photos just don't do them justice! The back story (so you don't have to look for my previous post) is that I grabbed these burgundy shell AE Polos on ebay for twenty-some dollars! They had been resoled with a half sole at some point. I was going to get the heels changed but decided to go whole hog with B. Nelson. Double JR soles and JR heels, metal toe taps. And. . . .

And here are some spoilered pics of before/after comparisons. first pics are before and second pics are after. . .

You can really see how much nicer he got the leather in this shot. It doesn't show as well in the wider shots, but it's VERY nice!

And a couple more new pictures for good measure!

I can't say enough how pleased I am with their work. I really love the "antiqued" stained sole edges. The soles themselves are almost to pretty to mess up and walk on! I also can't say enough what a great guy Nick is and how great my experience with B.Nelson and VIP was. They were very upfront about everything, including pricing. When you take away the extra for the metal toe tap, it was only a bit more expensive than Allen Edmonds' recrafting - which wasn't even an option with these shoes. I went in with realistic expectations (the shoes were beat a bunch) and those expectations were exceeded. Thanks again to Nick and everyone there!

Side question! Does anyone know how to find out how old these shoes are? Any idea when they stopped making the Polo?

-James

UPDATE on these shoes. . .

I'm wearing them for the first time today so I figured i'd shoot an update. I only wore these to check the fit before I had them resoled. Now, though, they may actually be my most comfortable pair of shoes! Since I hadn't worn them before, I don't know how much, if any, of that is owed to the resole. I wore a cruddy pair of shoes to work just in case and brought these in my bag - so they haven't been outside yet. Perhaps at lunch. Walking around on the carpet in my building was a little scary, though. Soles were SUPER slick. I assume it must have felt that way because the super stuff double soles hadn't broken in at all because the more I walked in them, the less slick it felt.

Also didn't realize this until I got to work, but there was the "white residue" in the creases (looked dusty), which I think is the oil seeping out? A little buff in one of the creases with my shoe bag and it took it right up, so i'll make sure I keep some buffing cloths and/or a brush at work from now on.

Someone had asked about the insoles and, yes, there are still indents in them. The cork has definitely been replaced, though, as they are not "sunken in" anymore.

All in all i'm still thrilled with the job Nick did at B.Nelson. He's currently got my patriots (puddle misshap) and a pair of old bostonians (fix toe and add steel taps) that he's working on. I'm also seriously considering getting the taps put on my Park aves, La Salles and Strands. Seems like the right thing to do to protect the toes from my terrible wear!

-James

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Da GOAT, I must agree with the bad influence above. I'd suggest combining the funds to buy one pair of burgundy shell Macneils. They'll go with anything from denim to corduroys to a relatively low-key suit and you can wear them pretty much the rest of your life.

This of course presumes that the quintessential American gunboat appeals to you.

Personally, I would probably go with the burgundy shell Leeds first, but the burgundy shell MacNeil is also a good choice. :nodding:

I own both.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPDATE on these shoes. . .

I'm wearing them for the first time today so I figured i'd shoot an update. I only wore these to check the fit before I had them resoled. Now, though, they may actually be my most comfortable pair of shoes! Since I hadn't worn them before, I don't know how much, if any, of that is owed to the resole. I wore a cruddy pair of shoes to work just in case and brought these in my bag - so they haven't been outside yet. Perhaps at lunch. Walking around on the carpet in my building was a little scary, though. Soles were SUPER slick. I assume it must have felt that way because the super stuff double soles hadn't broken in at all because the more I walked in them, the less slick it felt.

Also didn't realize this until I got to work, but there was the "white residue" in the creases (looked dusty), which I think is the oil seeping out? A little buff in one of the creases with my shoe bag and it took it right up, so i'll make sure I keep some buffing cloths and/or a brush at work from now on.

Someone had asked about the insoles and, yes, there are still indents in them. The cork has definitely been replaced, though, as they are not "sunken in" anymore.

All in all i'm still thrilled with the job Nick did at B.Nelson. He's currently got my patriots (puddle misshap) and a pair of old bostonians (fix toe and add steel taps) that he's working on. I'm also seriously considering getting the taps put on my Park aves, La Salles and Strands. Seems like the right thing to do to protect the toes from my terrible wear!

-James
That was me. Good to know. I may have to consider B nelson for my next re-sole. Thanks!

mingus2112

Reaction score

That was me.  Good to know. I may have to consider B nelson for my next re-sole. Thanks!

Bottom line is that you won't know what work will be done on YOUR shoe until you open up a dialogue with Nick. I would encourage you to do so. He's very upfront about what he'll do and won't do and very fair about his work. If he SAYS he's going to replace the cork in YOUR shoes, then it will be replaced. THAT's the bottom line. Once you have agreed upon work, and he has the shoes in hand, he'll be able to tell you better what's necessary, etc. This is a small shop and there are shoes coming to him from all over. He may not have remembered my shoes (needed the ticket number each time) specifically, but he pulled them from the queue each time I had a question so he could specifically address my issues with accuracy.

He showed me a pair of crocket and jones that were in for the same thing mine were. JR soles and toe taps. The soles on the shoes looked to be in great shape - save for the toes. He was waiting to hear back from the guy because he told the guy he only NEEDS to fix the toes and add the taps. The rest of the soles are fine. If the guy wants to continue with the JR soles, that's his choice. Nick just wanted to give him the option of saving well over $100 in case he didn't realize this was the case.

So, when you're ready, give him a call. Doesn't hurt to have a discussion. Be up front about your concerns and he'll be perfectly frank in his answers!

-J

khe86

Reaction score
For those interested in the Fairfax, I saw a bunch of them (in brown, merlot, and chili) at the Nordstrom Rack in Union Square. Most of them are also in great condition, little to no creasing on the uppers.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

-James

The white residue is common to most cordovan shoes due to the tanning process and is basically just the natural waxes seeping out. It's commonly referred to as bloom and can be removed with persistent brushing, a damp paper towel, or through the use of a product like saphir reno.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads