Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I think this was the guy selling the Strandmok and he's worried about getting into trouble with AE for selling a prototype.

2. Onlyoneoklahoma

Onlyoneoklahoma Active Member

Maybe he shouldn't list them on a top 50 worldwide website then. Not our fault a guy on a relatively obscure site found them and linked them.

Content:
    I bought some snuff suede neumoks that I had to send back because the welt was unfinished. I cannot wait for those babies to get back to me. If they had been seconds I would've kept them in a heartbeat.

3. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

4. SeventyFive

SeventyFive Well-Known Member

FYI, according to this URL http://www.progressive.org/wx030811.html, it is the former owner of Allen Edmonds (John Stollenwerk) who contributed to Walker.

I searched the Wisconsin Democracy Campaign's campaign finance database and there are no entries for
    Paul Grangaard, but there are listings for John Stollenwerk where Allen Edmonds is listed as the employer: http://www.wisdc.org/index.php?modu...r=+Search+&contributor_name=Stollenwerk,+John.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Wait a minute, I'm confused, isn't this the ebay sale that was supposedly posted by AngelicBoris? If this is a different guy, then once again, where did he even get the shoes from? Is this some AE insider that isn't supposed to be selling prototypes? I agree with everyone's comments that he can't reasonably expect people to not discuss sale ads on here. There's no way to control that, and there isn't anything wrong with it.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The request to not post EBay sales did not come from AngelicBoris. It came from some poster I've never heard of. I'm assuming he was the seller for the Strandmok, but have not gone back to verify.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Oh, ok... Though the question still stands. I never asked AngelicBoris where he gets his prototypes, but if there is more than one person getting them, then that makes me even more curious.

8. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

eBay listings are fair game as far as I'm concerned (i.e. public domain). And why wouldn't you want you're AE shoe auction listed on the Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread? You'll probably get more bids. Doesn't make sense to me. Anyway, they are "prototype" shoes. Most of them are not going into production (No olive Strandmok dammit).

Let's get back to the shoes.

9. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

It's a tough finish to grasp in a simple picture. It almost demands a video or a hands-on approach.

I find the finish to be interesting in person, but I guess it could raise concerns about actual use. Especially when it starts to develop creases, it would probably look like a really beat up black shoe until someone looked closely, and the effect might be compounded by any parts of the outfit that already seem out of place or rough. I'm not talking about the rough grey either, but the cloud. I'd dig them, but I think they've been a slow seller and people need new "rules" as to what colors to match them, wardrobe wise.

11. lostron

lostron Senior member

I agree, I think the grey shoes that AE made are great but I would only wear them casually. The formal lacing, however, throws it off a bit as I do not really like it on casual outfits.

Its a great shoe but just not for me in that color..

12. razl

razl Senior member

That's an interesting point I hadn't thought far enough ahead about. I've been captivated by the idea of an black alternative shoe and was coming around to the idea of gray. Not gray, gray - but rather something subtlely not jet black, like these with the gray "cloud". It hadn't occurred to me how it will wear over time as it gets worn and I think you're right, it will end up looking mottled and probably not attractive.

Maybe I really should be looking for something more matte, or even a plain "charcoal" instead. Hmmm...

13. Da GOAT

Da GOAT Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Long time lurcker now making some posts, im looking to maybe pick up 2 more AEs, im torn between the following;

Note my job is business casual though Ive got no chinos, I do sometimes wear full suit regardless of the job, i have AE players in walnut and Fifth Street Boot in Burnished brown.

AE Long Branch - Brown Waxy
    Strand - Walnut, Burnished Brown
    McAllister - Merlot
    Mctavish - Black Wax infused
    Neumock - brown leather

Thoughts? Im not into buying any PAs or Fifth Street black shoes as I really dont need any black shoes (though I do like to look of the Mctavish in black wax with the brown sole/laces). Im historically someone who only wore black shoes prior to SF.

14. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would suggest the Merlot McAllister and Brown Strand. That should round out your collection.

Chris

15. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

You have two fairly formal shoes in this list - Strand and McAllister - and then three really casual shoes. They don't really belong together.

Are you saying that you wear slacks, not chinos? The Strand and McAllister are both balmorals, though they also have brogueing, but they are too dressy for jeans and maybe chinos. The others I would wear only with chinos or jeans.

If you want a mix to cover both sides of dress/casual, and also to cover a suit once in a while, I'd suggest one of McAllister/Strand (very similar, so pick which one pleases your eye), and then one of the other shoes that you just like the look of. McTavish, Neumok, Long Branch are all equally casual to me.

But to me, it sounds like the perfect shoe for your situation is a blucher, like the Leeds or MacNeil. Maybe you don't like the look of those.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.