• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

And recently the walnut shell Dundee's: They all have gotten a little darker over time and I prefer that for the versatility compared to the lighter shades of brown. Although my wardrobe now has more lighter colored wool slacks then it ever has to match the lighter shades of brown shoes and boots that I now own. Which overall is a good thing IMO.
Those Dundees are amazing. Do you have any more pics, specifically in outdoor lighting? Very jealous of those and the cappuccino's.

Willin

Reaction score

Painful? Wrong size. And it's the size not width.Your true size is the arch measurement.It's the same in every last by AE.NEVER go down in size, only width. Shoes don't stretch, they shrink slightly which is the only reason to use a tree.Moisture? Better to let them air out not use a tree.Red Cedar is only used because it smells nice and is a common wood in the US.
Stretching is only for a bunion or something since you can't stretch the solid insole of the shoe.Going down in size will make your arch (heel/ball) fall in the wrong spot, and the wider width cause heel slippage.
Why do you think they make so many sizes and widths? For fun?
That bowing is caused because your foot is not fully in the shoe where it belongs (shoe too small) so that there's an excess of leather, and the shoe is too high on the instep.
And btw, few men wear an EEE (like A on the other side of the width bell curve)So we either have a dispropotionate number of bigfoots on here or people who just don't know their true size (more likely) 

When I get the size that AE recommends I feel like I am wearing a clown shoe. The toe box feels like it extends about 3/4 of an inch past the end of my toe. Perhaps that is technically correct but I hate the feeling. I personally prefer a shorter shoe than is recommended - by a full size! Am I crazy? I feel as if the ball of my foot lands in a preferential spot.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Oh I am well aware of scuffing them up a little, it was just an observation that the cedar used with AE lasts significantly longer, and the color is different as well, reddish almost.

Last pair that just arrived... 3rd pair of strands (Walnut being recrafted right now, and cordovan.) I absolutely love the bourbon, gorgeous color, however I do wish they did a natural (slightly darker than natural) welt on it. Regardless, my new favorite shoe.

What polish do you use for bourbon calf?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pardon my ignorance, but where do these sellers obtain these shoes from? I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what their future releases will be, much less actually obtaining a specimen of a shoe that hasn't been officially released!

I don't see myself wearing the rough Sanfords, but I think they are good looking nevertheless. However, I think they are reaching a bit too far with most of the others. In particular, the McAdam western penny loafer just doesn't look classy at all to me.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance, but where do these sellers obtain these shoes from? I have a hard enough time trying to figure out what their future releases will be, much less actually obtaining a specimen of a shoe that hasn't been officially released!

I don't see myself wearing the rough Sanfords, but I think they are good looking nevertheless. However, I think they are reaching a bit too far with most of the others. In particular, the McAdam western penny loafer just doesn't look classy at all to me.

Ask him. Those are all being sold by SF member and affiliate Andrew Lock (AngelicBoris is his SF name). He's a long-time poster in this AE thread, so he may answer.

kentyman

Reaction score

AE confirmed that Walnut is the correct polish. It starts as Walnut, but is then burnished (bour'nished?!) until it's Bourbon.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RE: Getting your boots on - you could also try using a shoehorn; in fact, it's better for all your shoes if you use a shoehorn with them.

I use a cheap one I got from somewhere; eventually I'll get one made of real horn sometime. But yeah, don't neglect to use your shoehorns!

I have a half dozen of the freebie plastic AE shoehorns placed anywhere I may need one, briefcase/suitcase for shoe donning at TSA checkpoints, my office, one in the car (haven't used that one yet but you never know), etc.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those Dundees are amazing. Do you have any more pics, specifically in outdoor lighting?

Very jealous of those and the cappuccino's.

I have 2 dark brown Dundee's and still waiting on that to be sorted out but the ball has been in my court and not AE's. Based on your acquisition of those Dalton's I'd say don't give up and put the hunt down for some walnut and truffle. You will not regret it.

With black and #8 shell last fall:

jjr4884

Reaction score

Saphir Renovaatueur for now lol... they are 2 days old, no polish needed at the moment.

AE confirmed that Walnut is the correct polish. It starts as Walnut, but is then burnished (bour'nished?!) until it's Bourbon.

The manager at the AE in Boston stated that a bourbon polish will be coming out. Maybe the walnut is a good temporary fix, but I will hold off on that until a proper polish is released. If it doesn't, then Saphir will have something close enough. I am really enjoying their products... I just used the navy polish on a pair of black lace ups, looks amazing....

charliebrown2

Reaction score
RE: Getting your boots on - you could also try using a shoehorn; in fact, it's better for all your shoes if you use a shoehorn with them.

I use a cheap one I got from somewhere; eventually I'll get one made of real horn sometime. But yeah, don't neglect to use your shoehorns!

Yea, I have a hand size shoe horn for my regular shoes. Think I'll get a longer one for boots

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

The manager at the AE in Boston stated that a bourbon polish will be coming out.  Maybe the walnut is a good temporary fix, but I will hold off on that until a proper polish is released.  If it doesn't, then Saphir will have something close enough.  I am really enjoying their products... I just used the navy polish on a pair of black lace ups, looks amazing....

Can you post a photo? Would love to see the results...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads