1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I spoke to AE Customer Service today about a similar question, where the Strand comes in a 5 Last and my great looking Sanfords came in a 7 Last - even though the two styles look exactly the same! Because the Sanford was discontinued (for now), I did not want to order the 5 Last out of fear it would be too long!

And yes . . . me too . . . for I am no longer in the big city since we moved to Western Montana a few years ago - so ordering from AE for the right size and fit and look may take me 3 returns! But guess what! AE encourages us folks to keep ordering until it gets right! Love that service.

Whatever style you're after, call them and ask what they suggest for the next size. For me in the Sanford, I found that my 11.5 D was a better fit in a 11-EEE with a 7 Last. (Reminds me of knowing my sleep number and the price of gasoline)

Last edited: Apr 22, 2013
  2. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

3. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

lol...To be honest, if I had this kind of classless moron supporting my stance on an issue (any issue really), Id hang my head in shame...even if I were right.

I also want to make it clear that I think Mediahound initially had a good point, had it not been discussed ad infinitum already. He actually originally had a very valid point, but it became obvious to me somewhere along the way, that after getting a perfectly respectable answer to his inquiry, his position shifted from one of seeking clarity to pressing an agenda, which to me at least, is misplaced in an Allen Edmonds APPRECIATION Thread. I mean, we can talk about being communists and shutting the fuck up all we want, but the reality is that in an appreciation thread, this sort of rolling, ongoing military style tribunal is literally off topic. I think there IS a place to discuss a company's shortcomings or to question their ethics, but it doesnt seem like an appreciation thread would be the place to do it. Why not start another thread that WOULD directly address the issue, and would remain on topic as well? I suspect its because this one already has a captive audience.

2 people like this.
  4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

I've been there. Luckily I travel quite a bit and managed to get into an AE store for a fitting. I can tell you that the fit on the #5 last will depend in part on the choice of leather (lined calf, unlined Dublin, suede,cordovan, etc.). Otherwise, don't focus too much on the length. Make sure the ball of your foot is on the widest part of the shoe (or as close as possible). This may leave you with a little more room up front that you are used to. If that's a problem, then the #5 last may not be a good choice for you.

Generally, I've found that shoes with a tapered toebox leave more space up front than the shoes with a rounded toe. That's just my experience with the shoes in a size that is comfortable on my feet. Some of us are flat foots (like me), others have high arches, and yet others have feet that are significantly different in size from right foot to left foot.

I haven't found a secret formula to getting the best fit right off of the bat. In some cases, you need patience and perserverance to reach your goal. But once you get there, life is very good.

Best of luck. Please let us know how you do.

5. David Copeland

I spoke to AE and they also suggested a Natural Edge for my light brown Sanfords (which look close to what you have in color). Do you think the Chili is better than the Natural?

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, clean, sans-serif] [/FONT]

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have liked that shoe since they introduced it. Now that it is on sale, very tempting. Great-looking shoe! That is going to be a perfect summer shoe. Thanks for sharing the photo. Chris

7. Ulsterman

Ulsterman Senior member

Thank you Sir, will be giving them a serious test run in Vegas this weekend.

8. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Actually the Sanfords were bluchers while Strands are balmorals. So similar, but not exactly the same.

And the usage of a different font/size and the signing of your name in your posts it a bit unnecessary.

9. AllenEdmondsCEO

AllenEdmondsCEO Active Member

Hello Pastor - Thanks for your comment. We have limited amounts of lighter cordovan shells left and, with the cordovan shortage, we're unlikely to get more soon. If you'd like a pair, please send me an email at pgrangaard@allenedmonds.com and we'll do our best.

Thanks again.

Best wishes,
    Paul

10. David Copeland

Are you referring to apply the Edge to the Welt and not the edge of the sole? If so, how about a small tooth-brush?

David

11. Flyswatter

Flyswatter Senior member

Why do you post in such large font? :embar:

12. David Copeland

My eyes. But I will stop.

13. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

As entertaining as the "Made in USA" debate has been, to me as long as AE shoes qualify as "Made in USA" under the law, I consider them to be Made in the USA. I think AE absolutely should emphasize the "Made in USA" part because that's just good marketing. And the fact that we are even having the discussion of AE's Dominican production tells me that they are transparent enough. If no one at AE ever mentions their Dominican production of some uppers of their mainline shoes, I would have never knew about it in the first place.

Anyway, I'm doing some late night work in my chili grain MacNeils:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Very nice, sir! I like the lacing pattern!

15. AllenEdmondsCEO

Salve Septimus Serevus -

The DR work conditions are excellent, as good as in Wisconsin only with a lot better weather right now and a fantastic company softball team. Our head of quality there and our plant manager are both American citizens, and our production manager and head of administration there are unbelievably good and very experienced. The latter two started the operation from scratch for us. There's an active leather goods manufacturing community there (we're in the same complex with Timberland's multi-building plant) and a ready pool of experienced employees. The hours are the same as Wisconsin, too. As I mentioned, we throw a big holiday party there every year at which management, including me, serves the workers. This past year we brought in a couple singers to entertain the team during the luncheon and the woman was amazing, a young Whitney Houston voice who covered some of WH's big hits. We take the leadership team out to a nice restaurant for dinner also. It's a nice place to go and i enjoy being with them. The people have a positive and happy outlook on life that's kind of inspirational. They're great workers.

Thanks for asking.
    Paul

3 people like this.
  16. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

That shoe is perfect for Vegas - enjoy.

17. David Copeland

What is a Shell Shoe?

When I called AE today, they could not really explain it - except to say they are starting to offer more shell shoes which have the color dye imbued in the leather rather than dyeing the leather after the construction of the shoe is underway.

Still confused . . .

Any pictures?

18. David Copeland

I would not expect less from Allen Edwards - and neither would I expect less from Costco when I buy their electronics and Kirland clothing made in Mexico and China - for Costco will not sell goods from anywhere on the planet where there is a hint of labor issues. Besides, I suspect AE and Costco pay better in local wages in other countries.

19. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Shell Cordovan is a type of leather made from horse. AE sources it from Horween.
    More info:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_cordovan
    http://horween.com/leathers/shell-cordovan/

20. AllenEdmondsCEO

MN - This is a great question. Feet differ significantly in shape and form. You want your shoes to fit you well from heel to the ball of your foot. The ball of the foot is the key spot. If your shoe's widest point towards the front is closer to your heel than the ball of your foot is, the shoe will probably cut across your little toe and cause you pain and problems. If your toes are short relative to average foot measurements and the length of your instep to the ball, you'll be better off with a longer shoe and more room in the toe. The ends of my toes measure size 11.5, for example, but I feel better if I get a 12 or 12.5 In the right width. I. E. I usually wear 11.5 D or 12 C depending on the last.

I hope that helps...

Paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.