Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's nice to have something a little different every once in a while.

2. Latour

Latour Active Member

Painful? Wrong size. And it's the size not width.Your true size is the arch measurement.It's the same in every last by AE.NEVER go down in size, only width. Shoes don't stretch, they shrink slightly which is the only reason to use a tree.Moisture? Better to let them air out not use a tree.Red Cedar is only used because it smells nice and is a common wood in the US.
    Stretching is only for a bunion or something since you can't stretch the solid insole of the shoe.Going down in size will make your arch (heel/ball) fall in the wrong spot, and the wider width cause heel slippage.
    Why do you think they make so many sizes and widths? For fun?
    That bowing is caused because your foot is not fully in the shoe where it belongs (shoe too small) so that there's an excess of leather, and the shoe is too high on the instep.
    And btw, few men wear an EEE (like A on the other side of the width bell curve)So we either have a dispropotionate number of bigfoots on here or people who just don't know their true size (more likely)

3. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Basically, the same model. The BB version adds a topy on top of the front leather sole. For those that put topys on their shoes, these may be an added bonus. I don't think the AE version has that jigsaw puzzle heel (someone please correct me).

5. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Just received the Dalton's in chocolate brown, my first leather boots (shitty phone pic):
    [​IMG]

This may sound like a stupid question from a boot noob, but how do you guys put these on? Do you just hold on the the tab in the back and force your foot through? Long shoe horn?

I also assume we just have to force the shoe trees to fit in them too, right?

6. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

You're more or less correct. The BB version's sole has a rubberized front portion and the different heel, but they also tend to have a different insole (poron).

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  7. adsmith4

adsmith4 Senior member

The insole is definitely different, I tried on both the BB version and Allen Edmonds version. The BB version felt more comfortable in my opinion, the sales associate agreed, but also said the more you wear them that the normal AE version would be more comfortable in the long run. Whether this is true or not, I don't know.

8. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

A fair point.

Just get the laces at the top really loose, grab the loops or the sides of the shaft and slide 'er on. Shoe trees jam in there just like any boot.

9. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

Great looking boots, I have the same ones. I remove the laces from the top two eyelets, loosen them up, grab along the sides and pull them on. Shoe trees go in like any other shoe or boot.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  10. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

Sounds good. Thanks gents.

11. millerbk

millerbk Active Member

I was hoping someone could help with sizing for the Norwich on the 2 last. I normally wear a 10.5 D in AE shoes except for the Dalton I went up to an 11D. I just received my cordovan Norwich shoes in 10.5 D and I was surprised how big they are on my feet. Has anybody had to size down in this shoe?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thanks once again bucksfan for doing this!

13. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

How often are there sales on the seconds? The one that just ended was fantastic. Are most as good as that one, or was that the best there has been in a while?

14. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

They usually have 2 or 3 good sales per year. The best I remember was about a year ago: 2 for $200. I had just recently gone on a shoe buying binge, so I was unable to take advantage. Still regret missing out on that one.

15. althanis

althanis Senior member

RE: Getting your boots on - you could also try using a shoehorn; in fact, it's better for all your shoes if you use a shoehorn with them.

I use a cheap one I got from somewhere; eventually I'll get one made of real horn sometime. But yeah, don't neglect to use your shoehorns!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.