Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

WOW I'm in love with those congrats. The natural welt is fantastic wish AE did that more often. You are a lucky man

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

^ Totally agree. Beautiful! Congrats on a great MTO.

3. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

"Mikey, you try it first...." (or something like that). I show my age by remembering that commercial.

4. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

For those who love the leeds (1-last), I'm curious to know which Alden lasts and sizes you prefer? Barrie, Aberdeen, Grant? I can't get over how perfect the 1-last is for me TTS but in E width... It would be nice if my non-AEs fit as well.

Todd Vanderbilt

5. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

Call the Jeffersonvile store they will look at help you. 740-948-9033

6. kuslamb

kuslamb Senior member

My older brother and I took our satellite office for a nice holiday dinner last night. Prior to dinner we spent a half day with them going over the year, shooting it in general.

Conversation led to the holidays and gifts. The only man in the office asked me about my shoes and if they were new. I was wearing my 2 month old Walnut Strands. Everyone complimented me on them and all the associated niceties.

Later at dinner, one of the secretaries spilled her diet coke and it splattered pretty heavily on my shoes. Not a drench, but not a speck either. Wiped them as well as I could, she was in tears, I made it clear it wasn't an issue.

Had a few layers of wax polish on them, so I am really not too worried. They do have some spotting. I began with a wipe down with a slightly wet cloth last night. Then a brush. They now have had 2 coats of Saphir Reno. One medium heavy, one very light. Allowed to slightly dry, then brushed off. Going to let them dry for at least 24 hours. Will then re-wax.

Anyone object to this treatment?

7. Spaghettimatt

Spaghettimatt Senior member

Looking to pick up a pair of Park Ave and a pair of Fifth Aves in the coming weeks. Should I go Shoe Bank, allaboutshoes, or wait for a post Christmas sale? Looking for the cheapest option here.

8. catside

catside Senior member

I got that on my shell Macneils. Now these shoes are maybe 20 years old and no problems until one day I scratched and scuffed the tip. Was devastated. The local cobbler did something which I suspect involved stripping, redyeing and sanding. This is an older Italian gentleman who is quite gruff and does not really tell you what he does but he is cheap and dependable. I cant tell the scratches were there now. The shoe does not shine as it used to I think but it is very nice as it is, with the patina.

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Brush the shoe for maybe 3 minutes and those will go away; one of the benfits of shell.

I almost never have to use product to remove scuffs or scrapes from shell, just brushing/buffing/rubbing.

AE made the 721's; they're ostensibly the same boot as the 744, cap aesthetics aside.

10. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^ +1, if the gouge is really deep, you may need to add a little wax, but start with just brushing.

Today: MacNeil in burgundy shell (with appropriate socks for my office Christmas party later)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Nice boots! (I may be buying a pair next week) Interesting idea - you are correct, the welt will stay black until you have that changed. Here is an example picture, for reference (not mine, but someone who did what you are describing, but using sno-seal to darken the edges and seal them. )

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

12. Todd V

Todd V Senior member

Brooks Brothers is another option with their frequent 20% with store credit card. I'm not positive they have the PA but they definitey have the FA in lots of sizes ans widths.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Post-Christmas sales are a bit unknown right now. Nordstrom provides a good deal with their Anniversary sale, but that isn't until August.

As for the Shoebank and allaboutshoes, the Shoebank only sells seconds, while allaboutshoes has first-quality. On those particular models, chances are, the Shoebank is not going to be much (if any) cheaper than allaboutshoes, so given the quality difference, allaboutshoes. I don't believe he takes returns though, so you have to know your size. The 5-last is a little tricky; many size down half but go up one in width.

14. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Sorry to complicate things, but I am just the opposite. I size up half, and down one in width on the 5 last. Just food for thought.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Those are fantastic. Hope you enjoy them. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.