1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior Member

Please note that the discounted Bourbon polish is different than the new Bourbon offerings. Unfortunately, they still don't have a new Bourbon offered. Anyone know when it'll be offered? Someone said that AE told them that Bourbon is made by just burnishing Walnut, so maybe Walnut would do? I have a feeling it would lighten things up.

2. catside

catside Distinguished Member

IMHO the moctoe version of this is gorgeous. Not posting photo so I don't get yelled at :) Be careful on sizing though and try before you buy.

3. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

In my experience the walnut AE polish is actually not that light and is more of a chili color. I mean I used them on walnut Strands I had and they darkened them up considerably over time. I have bourbon shoes too and I was just thinking of using the AE walnut polish, though I'm not sure about it yet.

4. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior Member

5. clarksdb

clarksdb Distinguished Member

6. zchen

zchen Senior Member

E recommends their walnut polish for the New Bourbon.....
    "For our new Bourbon Collection of shoes, we recommend using our Allen Edmonds Premium Shoe Polish in Walnut.

Our Bourbon actually begins as a warm, walnut colored leather. After our burnishing techniques take place, we not only heighten the shine but imbue the surface with contrasting low-lights which results in a rich depth of color."

7. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior Member

Guys I have to give a shout out to Jay with AE outlet he has gone above and beyond for me. If you don't have a regular salesperson please consider using him

8. catside

catside Distinguished Member

+1

Now I do have a regular person.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012

9. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior Member

I just ordered a pair of MacNeils for a good price. I got a size 8, does anyone know where to find the insole length and width for their shoes? I tried their website but it doesnt work very well on mobile.

10. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Senior Member

11. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior Member

I'm going to be stopping by New York sometime in the coming weeks. What would be the best store to try on a bunch of AE shoes? Rockefeller Center, 43rd St, 44th St, or Madison Ave? I'm hoping to try on at least most of the lasts.

12. Left Hand

Left Hand Senior Member

Ebay $50. If I snatched them from anyone here.. sorry!

13. mingus2112

mingus2112 Senior Member

I haven't been to the others, but I like the staff in the Rockefeller Center store.

-J

14. PK35216

PK35216 Senior Member

[​IMG]

I sanded the edge off my ebay vintage burgundy shell macneils and then used the neutral AE edge trim, mottled with some chili edge trim, and I love the results. Granted, I bought the shoes for $45, but it worked out great. You might consider taking some tape and protecting the bottom of the leather upper while sanding the trim so that you don't scratch while sanding. It's easy to do. I don't think I worried about the top of the welt.

Pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. GentlemanJohnny

GentlemanJohnny Well-Known Member

I second this...Jay was very prompt and easy to work with. Due to the time difference (I'm in Germany and he's in Charleston) we worked everything out via email and now my new boots are on the way! Will post pics once they arrive. Also, don't forget to leave feedback on AE's website. (744 LTD boots)

Also, Kristle from Jeffersonville was just as prompt and easy to work with. (Krause boots)

Definitely will contact them after the holiday season dies down...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.