1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

sizing question: i'm a 10D in clifton and delray. i'm thinking of picking up a pair of either Park Avenues or Fifth Avenues. what size?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I wear 9D in the 8 last and the 5 last. :nodding:

3. Dillardiv

Dillardiv Senior member

Related, does anyone have experience with the Neumoras? I know the quality issues have been supposedly fixed, but I need a second opinion on if the toes are too squared off. Thoughts?

4. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

+1.

5. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

6. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I personally like the slightly squared off toe (see the previous pages for my parkway pictures). The fit is a little bit larger than the 5 last, I would say about 1/4 inch longer than the 5 and a little bit wider around the ball off the foot. It fits my foot really well because I am in between a D and E on the 5 last, and this seems to work. Some find it large enough to size down 1/2 a size from the 5 last.

7. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I'm not digging the 3 last much. I think the Rutledge is a beautiful shoe and was considering it...but I just can't get over that toe. I have the Bel-Air, so I don't mind a slightly squared-off toe. To me, the Neumora, Flatiron, and Rutledge are just a bit too much. I'll stick with the 5 and 8 last.

8. sevenfoldtieguy

Two of the best ......

9. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

Hi all - Just wanted to share a story.

I have been looking to pick up a brown boot for quite some time. I have thought of multiple manufacturers, and in the end it came down to the Dalton (I like both colors) and the brown fifth street. After much hemming and hawing, I decided to try on a pair of the walnut dalton's at a local AE store. This was a terrible experience - the service was abominable. Really, borderline rude to me.

But still, I wanted to purchase a pair of these boots! Torn between the chocolate and the walnut daltons, I went into the State St. AE Boston store, where I tried on the chocolate brown Dalton's. They were perfect. In addition, the service was wonderful. I was helped by James and could not have been happier. I purchased the boots today and am very, very happy with them!

I know that seconds are on sale right now, but felt like I really wanted them today...and plus, the one pair of Dalton in chocolate brown that is a second isn't discounted that much, and happens to have a pretty bad scuff on it (so says the person on the phone). So I'll take this opportunity to applaud James and to boo the other store!

A

10. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

What are some good models that work with trousers and a dress shirt? I already have Strands in Walnut.

Looking for something in Black. Perhaps Fifth Avenue or Park Avenue?

11. csc67

csc67 Senior member

Last edited: Aug 21, 2012
  12. BrizzleCizzle

BrizzleCizzle Senior member

I own the walnut strands and the black park aves. Keep in mind that black shoes go with: black, grey, and navy (sometimes). Somewhat along the same lines as your inquiry, my next pair will be a dark brown shoe in a sleek last. I feel that the dark brown, as it can go with anything but black, is a very versatile choice. And quite frankly, the park aves appear less sleek than the strands, so I may not go with that last in the future. Just my thoughts.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Delrays are versatile enough to go with slacks and shirt and can be dressed up to wear with a jacket or suit as well.

14. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

+1. My favorite AE shoe. Close second is the Strand in Walnut.

15. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

I am an 8E on a 5 last (Strand, etc.) and the 1 last Daltons fit well in an 8.5D.

16. sevenfoldtieguy

Black Delray

17. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

I'm not doubting the Daltons are superior, cause they are. But these $60 boots from JCPenny look mighty tempting for the price:

[​IMG]

18. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

The leather looks pretty cheap, but I'm surprised JC penny can offer such a decent looking last when most of the other stuff at the price point look like loaves of bread

19. itsmejson

itsmejson Senior member

For those of you w/ dark chocolate Dalton's, what color polish are you using?
    - I currently use saphir polish & cremes, I would think that dark brown would be the color right?

20. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

+1

I love my Delrays. I have them in black and chili, and they're a great shoe for everyday wear with slacks or chinos, from casual to business casual to even more formal events (although I generally stick to a balmoral for suits).

What a great shoe. And on their best last, IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.