Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. barhydtp

barhydtp Member

Today AE, anyone remember this style? This was my first pair of AE. It's now mostly my rainy day shoe because of the two part rubber and leather sole.
    [​IMG]

2. Jaggs

Jaggs Senior member

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012

3. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Walnut grain MacNeil's today:

[​IMG]

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Walnut Strands today:

[​IMG]

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Nicely done, I did this combo yesterday.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

That's a great photo comparison of the difference in cap toe length between the 5th Avenue (same length as on Park Avenue) and Strand. I wish they would do the 5th/Park with the same length cap toe as the Strand.

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

8. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

the small cap toe has made me starting to consider the Meermin cap toe, which from look at the pictures on their site, has a better proportion cap toe.

Pics from the Meermin thread

9. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

So far very pleased with the look of the Fifth Aves. They fit great and look even better. Ill probably get a black pair sometime in the near future.

10. slimfit4me

slimfit4me Active Member

There's no love for JM shoes here on SF because of quality issues being made in India. That being said, I got their USA made Georgetown II cap toe about couple of months ago. The main reason I got these over the PA was the fit (for my flat feet). There was literally no bowing on these shoes (D width) unlike the PA (tried D & E widths). The quality on these USA made JM shoes unfortunately were a hit or miss (stitching issues like being uneven) but they sent the replacements overnight to the store (3 tries though). JM had the nerve to sent a previously worn pair as a replacement to the store. Overall, I'm happy with the JM Georgetown II cap toe that I settled with.

11. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

For those turned off by the PAs, you may want to look into the Hale's. They are a balmoral and have a larger captoe. I own them and they are great. There is a line of perforated holes at the end of the captoe, so not a clean captoe look. Another shoe, which I considered, was the Courtland. I think they may be a blucher, though. I don't have that model. Both have leather soles. Both can be found at Nordies Rack for about $225 now.

12. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

I know bluchers with suits is frowned upon, but I find the look of the Nordstrom only AE clifton to be far superior.

13. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I'm a balmorals with suits guy, but, if I weren't, the Clifton would be a good choice.

14. iloveshoes

iloveshoes Senior member

Shoe of the day.

[​IMG]

A rare somewhat sunny day in Seattle. I just wanted to wear these anyways, they had been sitting in the closet.

Couple more closer pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Look what the cat dragged in today! Randomly ran into a pair of Moras on a recent shoebank seconds list- from the inscription, it was made for Ball and Buck. Pricing was GREAT and I see no apparent flaws. I am very pleased with my first pair of doublemonks. The 8 last is usually terrible for me in my normal 5 last size so I sized up .5 and they fit great. I suspect there are many other pairs out there for your choosing in your size.

As for the mctavishes, I was inspired by a pair I saw on b&s wih blue laces via google images, and decided to go for the same look. They look and fit great on my normal 5 last size, no resizing necessary. The heel slippage I suspect will go away after the double sole breaks in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A question with everyone with doublemonks - It seems like the top strap will take quite a lot of wear if i fasten/unfasten it with every wear. Is that the correct way to put on doublemonks, and have yours held up long term?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.