• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerostyle

Reaction score

Anyone else can contribute their branno size in comparison to PA/Strand/5th Ave size?

When measured on the brannock I was very close to an exact 9D. Here are the AE's I've tried on:

5 Last ( Park Avenue, Strand, Mcallister ) = 9D is the closest, but runs a little long and a little narrow. 8.5D was too narrow, but length was good. 8.5E and 9E were too wide.

2 Last ( Players shoe, San Marco, Lombard, etc) = Tried on 9D only. Was shockingly narrower than the 5 last even though the 5 is described as narrower. At least 3-4 other people on dappered.com agreed that this was a narrower shoe.

1 Last ( Bayfield boot, Leeds, Dalton boot, Bradley, Malvern ) = Tried on 9D. Overall felt just a touch long and wide, but good enough that I wouldn't try another size.

I'm also finding that the thickness of socks I wear make a considerable difference given how narrow these shoes tend to run.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I really need to try on the 7 last (macneil) and 8 last (delray, lasalle). Anyone know how those compare?

Last edited:

zchen

Reaction score
When measured on the brannock I was very close to an exact 9D. Here are the AE's I've tried on:
5 Last ( Park Avenue, Strand, Mcallister ) = 9D is the closest, but runs a little long and a little narrow. 8.5D was too narrow, but length was good. 8.5E and 9E were too wide.
2 Last ( Players shoe, San Marco, Lombard, etc) = Tried on 9D only. Was shockingly narrower than the 5 last even though the 5 is described as narrower. At least 3-4 other people on dappered.com agreed that this was a narrower shoe.
1 Last ( Bayfield boot, Leeds, Dalton boot, Bradley, Malvern ) = Tried on 9D. Overall felt just a touch long and wide, but good enough that I wouldn't try another size.
I'm also finding that the thickness of socks I wear make a considerable difference given how narrow these shoes tend to run.
Hopefully that helps a bit. I really need to try on the 7 last (macneil) and 8 last (delray, lasalle). Anyone know how those compare?

7 last is about the same length as 5 (Comparing my 7D Cordovan Cambridge and 7D Cordovan MacNeil), however the 7 last feels it has less volume in the front (my little toes were feeling pressure initially), but not as bad as the toe crushing 2 last 7D Lombard I tried and returned

I'm right between 7D and 7E on the brannock. I have Cambridge and Cordovan Strands in the 5 last. I have tried both 7D and 6.5E. Both fit pretty good, but 6.5E allows me to lace the top closer together.

Last edited:

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

7 last is about the same length as 5 (Comparing my 7D Cordovan Cambridge and 7D Cordovan MacNeil), however the 7 last feels it has less volume in the front (my little toes were feeling pressure initially), but not as bad as the toe crushing 2 last 7D Lombard I tried and returned

I'm right between 7D and 7E on the brannock. I have Cambridge and Cordovan Strands in the 5 last. I have tried both 7D and 6.5E. Both fit pretty good, but 6.5E allows me to lace the top closer together.

I think I might have the same fit with you on the 5 last. I am measured very close to a 11D in length and right on the D width on the brannock. So when I tried on the MacNeil in 11D I felt they are spot on. My 10.5E strand gives me some wiggle room in the area before the ball of my feet but it still fits really comfortable and I can lace the top closer together just like you said.

I will swing by Boston AE store to try on the 11D Jefferson and see how that fits in compare to the 10.5E Jefferson.

Thank y'all for all the input. SF rocks:slayer::slayer::slayer:

Last edited:

jjr4884

Reaction score
i gotta be honest, the short toe cap on the park avenues is really weird looking.
I might have to remove it from my "first good shoe" recommendation list.

Thats how i feel about the 5th Ave's that I tried on last Friday.... terribly short. The cap should look like the Strand without the medallion

harlequin782

Reaction score

MUCH happier now. And yes, I have read DFWII's warnings on what I lost in this process. I am not concerned but will keep up with the waxing of the edges even if I never polish the shell (per the Mac method).

Unless it looks way better in person, you should not have done this IMO.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats how i feel about the 5th Ave's that I tried on last Friday.... terribly short.  The cap should look like the Strand without the medallion

i think if i have to pick 5th ave or park ave I will go with park ave because upon closer inspection, the brogue on the 5th ave make it looks even shorter.

Mpowered

Reaction score
That just doesn't look right.

Are they seconds? I've been told that some seconds receive that designation because the sizing is messed up.

That's what I'm thinking. I picked them up "new" on eBay, so there's a good shot they're seconds. Does anyone know the length of a size 10.5 Park Ave from heel to toe? I'd really appreciate the help.

Last edited:

Poshak Man

Reaction score

I get the same toe cap too short feeling the more I look at PAs as well (and Fifth Avenues). I also wish AE would make a plain toe version.

It seems to me that over the year the length of the toe cap on PAs has varied. I have two PAs bought 6-7 years apart and the toe cap on the PAs that I bought some 3 years ago had visibly shorter toe caps than the older PAs. The toe cap on new PAs on display at the local AE store also look longer like my older PAs.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i gotta be honest, the short toe cap on the park avenues is really weird looking.
I might have to remove it from my "first good shoe" recommendation list.

The short toe cap bothers me as well, but I still think the Park Avenue is the best black captoe to recommend in response to all the "first good shoes" posts. What else is there for under $300 that is readily available for trying on and at the same quality level? You can suggest Meermin or Loake, but the reality is that someone looking for their first good shoes needs to go somewhere where they can try the shoes on and return if the fit/sizing is not right. Look at all the posts in this thread on multiple returns to Nordstrom or AE.

I've had Park Avenues for a year and will eventually replace them with something nicer, but they're a nice shoe and fill a much needed niche for people building their professional wardrobes.

Snedley

Reaction score
I'm sorry you have had to go through all that. All your posts in other threads suddenly make much more sense.
I'm a bachelor and have never had any problems with females or getting females. What I wrote were my observations about marriage. And yes, I would talk him out of marrying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads