1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

I don't mind the Eagle County, but I'm not in the market for a work boot, and the Long Branch isn't bad save for the smokey gray leather which looks hideous. In any event, I'm happy with my Bayfields and will be ordering a pair of walnut Daltons soon.

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

What until you see it IRL. AE marketing photos are horrible, and by that I mean really bad.

3. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+100

You may be in the minority, but trust me, you are not alone. :D

To each their own .....

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For those who love the 8 last and want AE to come out with a cap toe balmoral on this last, the picture below shows how sleek the 8 last really is. A comparison of a pair of Santoni's and AE's Delray:

[​IMG]

I was surprised by how close the Delray toe is to the Santoni toe.

5. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

So I already have the kenilworth in brown, what would you guys recommend for a 2nd pair but in black? I need to replace my Ecco's, although they are comfortable they're just plain ugly..

PS.. How does do AE's take to break in? This is my 3rd time wearing these Kenilworth and my left side pinky is hurting.. :D

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Others I'm sure have had different experiences, but I have found my Kenilworths to be perhaps my most uncomfortable AE shoes. Not that I experience pain with them - I don't - but they are not nearly as comfortable as my others. They actually fit quite different than my other 5-Lasted shoes.

7. mattcritchlow

mattcritchlow Well-Known Member

I ended up sizing up from a 12D on the 5 last to 12E for the Players shoe and it's probably the best fitting shoe I own. I realize that won't work for everyone, but for me the change in width did the trick.

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I agree - great looking boot, but I just wish it was made with a black rubber sole. That white sole will get dirty VERY quickly!

9. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Quote:I'd prefer a real Red Wing for a work boot over the Long Branch, besides I've got to keep at least some of the folks on this side of the Mississippi River happy... The Long Branch is looking better the more I consider it but plan on purchasing the Dundee when it is released in October. However they are two totally different boots so maybe, a very strong maybe. I already have the Bayfield in both brown and black and the Dalton in walnut shell. The Cronmok I will try to reserve judgement for when I see real pictures or in person but for now I don't really get it either. Which is why I'm thankful for multiple choices.

10. halgrind

halgrind Member

I'm normally EEE so I couldn't size up on the width. Sizing up in length still wasn't wide enough and as you said, introduced new problems. I bought them in my size anyways since they were only $100, along with a shoe stretcher off Amazon.

I've stretched them to the point where it's no longer painful to wear them, and I can't really see any noticeable change in appearance. They're wearable but not what I'd consider comfortable. I didn't want to let that amazing deal go, but in retrospect I should have.

You live and learn, I now know I'd have been far happier paying twice as much for a pair that's a natural fit. It breaks your heart when you find a beautiful shoe that just doesn't fit, but you have to let it go.

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

12. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I had this exact problem but I know it's my problem and not the boots/shoes. I have a condition where I've lost padding on the balls of my feet and I find that most boots/shoes in the AE/Alden category and many higher-end Italian boots/shoes are (for me) too hard to feel comfortable for any length of time. I also have a very hard time walking barefoot on hard surfaces. My solution is to use thin padded insoles in my boots and they work perfectly in my AE's and Alden's as they also give me arch support as I have high arches. I usually just size up a half size or sometimes a width.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I know it's apples and oranges, but a few years ago I bought a pair of boots from American Eagle with a similar white sole. To this day the boots' soles are still pretty darn white and don't look very dirty at all (and they've been through a lot). So maybe there's hope?

14. jimney

jimney Senior member

[​IMG]

My Elgins, just got done saddle soaping them then adding some edge protector I just got from AE. Been through a lot with these, including a very rainy night in the French Quarter of New Orleans that I believe caused some warping issues.

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Congrats, one of my favorite shoes. One of AE's best efforts...

16. shellshoe

shellshoe Member

Thanks., I will give it another try and see if there are any setting to change when printing.

17. JubeiSpiegel

The Haight chelsea boot looks a little rough, but i still like it. Hopefully the Dundees are up as well.

I am expecting the Harrisons to arrive to my local AE store by the end of the week, so i should have IRL pics later.

18. JubeiSpiegel

It's a shame my work keeps me so busy, i missed so many good conversations today :)

19. MarshMan114

MarshMan114 Member

So I just purchased my first 2 pairs of AE's; Black Park Ave and Walnut Hale's. So obviously the black PA's are a staple and can be dressed up with just about anything, but what are your opinions on the Walnut Hales? It's definitely a lighter shade of brown so is there anything I should avoid wearing them with? Can they go with a dark navy suit, light grey suit, and dressed down as far as dark denim with a sport coat?

[​IMG]

20. horsey shoes

horsey shoes Senior member

New cordovan Strands arrived today and "new" walnut cordovan Daltons from eBay.
    Pics from my iPhone, so not the greatest...

[​IMG]

Will probably break in the Strands tomorrow if no rain.

[​IMG]

Daltons are seconds but never worn from eBay.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.