Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zerostyle

zerostyle Senior member

When measured on the brannock I was very close to an exact 9D. Here are the AE's I've tried on:

5 Last ( Park Avenue, Strand, Mcallister ) = 9D is the closest, but runs a little long and a little narrow. 8.5D was too narrow, but length was good. 8.5E and 9E were too wide.

2 Last ( Players shoe, San Marco, Lombard, etc) = Tried on 9D only. Was shockingly narrower than the 5 last even though the 5 is described as narrower. At least 3-4 other people on dappered.com agreed that this was a narrower shoe.

1 Last ( Bayfield boot, Leeds, Dalton boot, Bradley, Malvern ) = Tried on 9D. Overall felt just a touch long and wide, but good enough that I wouldn't try another size.

I'm also finding that the thickness of socks I wear make a considerable difference given how narrow these shoes tend to run.

Hopefully that helps a bit. I really need to try on the 7 last (macneil) and 8 last (delray, lasalle). Anyone know how those compare?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012

2. zchen

zchen Senior member

7 last is about the same length as 5 (Comparing my 7D Cordovan Cambridge and 7D Cordovan MacNeil), however the 7 last feels it has less volume in the front (my little toes were feeling pressure initially), but not as bad as the toe crushing 2 last 7D Lombard I tried and returned

I'm right between 7D and 7E on the brannock. I have Cambridge and Cordovan Strands in the 5 last. I have tried both 7D and 6.5E. Both fit pretty good, but 6.5E allows me to lace the top closer together.

3. zchen

zchen Senior member

dup post

4. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

I think I might have the same fit with you on the 5 last. I am measured very close to a 11D in length and right on the D width on the brannock. So when I tried on the MacNeil in 11D I felt they are spot on. My 10.5E strand gives me some wiggle room in the area before the ball of my feet but it still fits really comfortable and I can lace the top closer together just like you said.

I will swing by Boston AE store to try on the 11D Jefferson and see how that fits in compare to the 10.5E Jefferson.

Thank y'all for all the input. SF rocks:slayer::slayer::slayer:

5. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Thats how i feel about the 5th Ave's that I tried on last Friday.... terribly short. The cap should look like the Strand without the medallion

6. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Unless it looks way better in person, you should not have done this IMO.

7. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

i think if i have to pick 5th ave or park ave I will go with park ave because upon closer inspection, the brogue on the 5th ave make it looks even shorter.

8. RedLeg

RedLeg Senior member

Just got my first pair of Park Aves and I couldn't be happier.

9. Mpowered

Mpowered New Member

That's what I'm thinking. I picked them up "new" on eBay, so there's a good shot they're seconds. Does anyone know the length of a size 10.5 Park Ave from heel to toe? I'd really appreciate the help.

10. Poshak Man

Poshak Man Senior member

It seems to me that over the year the length of the toe cap on PAs has varied. I have two PAs bought 6-7 years apart and the toe cap on the PAs that I bought some 3 years ago had visibly shorter toe caps than the older PAs. The toe cap on new PAs on display at the local AE store also look longer like my older PAs.

11. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The short toe cap bothers me as well, but I still think the Park Avenue is the best black captoe to recommend in response to all the "first good shoes" posts. What else is there for under $300 that is readily available for trying on and at the same quality level? You can suggest Meermin or Loake, but the reality is that someone looking for their first good shoes needs to go somewhere where they can try the shoes on and return if the fit/sizing is not right. Look at all the posts in this thread on multiple returns to Nordstrom or AE.

I've had Park Avenues for a year and will eventually replace them with something nicer, but they're a nice shoe and fill a much needed niche for people building their professional wardrobes.

12. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Kenilworth is a great looking plain toe on the same 5 last

13. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

The kenilworth is my most versatile AE shoe.

14. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

I'm a bachelor and have never had any problems with females or getting females. What I wrote were my observations about marriage. And yes, I would talk him out of marrying.

15. Papa Doble

Papa Doble Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.