• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4rtin

Reaction score
Now to only find a retailer around Toronto who stocks Kenilworth.

I wonder how will sizing go, I'm size 11 in running shoes, but for some reason I tried To Boot New York yesterday and I was size 10.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
But the more important question is why are you getting married? What benefit is there for a man in marriage? You have an even chance of getting divorced and losing 1/2 your assets and if you have kids and get divorced you'll be paying child support for 20 years. So it would be like supporting 2 households at the same time-youres and theirs. if your wife decides to divorce you because she's bored (the usual reason) she may move away with the kids if you have any and you'll rarely see them but still have to pay. That little darling of yours may accuse you of a lot of nasty things when she wants a divorce or has found a more Alpha man. A word to the wise.

WTF, dude?!? Not for nothing, but getting married to my wife was one of the best decisions I ever made. Your experience sounds like it was a bit different, but this is pretty fucked up advice for a guy about to tie the knot.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just wondering what are ppl's brannock size in compare to their park avenue size?

HAL 9000

Reaction score
Are shoe trees a necessity? Or is crumpling newspapers good enough?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now to only find a retailer around Toronto who stocks Kenilworth.

I wonder how will sizing go, I'm size 11 in running shoes, but for some reason I tried To Boot New York yesterday and I was size 10.

This is normal. It's very common for athletic shoes to run 1 size larger than dress shoes. Dress shoes usually correspond to your measured size.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it depends on your wardrobe/work attire. I have been getting plenty of mileage out I'd my red Neumoks and red Sedonas.

I tried a few ones on back on Friday... ended up with the blue just because they are definitely more practical than any other colors IMO... however when they have their sale in a month or two, I think I am going to pick up the Olive ones.  Love them.  The red is nice, but I wouldn't be able to get my money out of those like the blue ones.

You say it measures an 11? 11 what? 11D? How did you measure.

Do park avenues run long on anyone else? I am a 10.5 in every shoe I own, and my foot measures almost an 11. I got AE Park Ave's in 10.5, and I have a good inch of room in the toe, and they feel a bit loose while wearing thin socks. Not particularly happy thus far.

I actually had to go up one half size on the PA & Strand. They fit very well now.

Breaking in the new shell PAs today...

In response to the question above, I had to size down 1/2 size. The funny thing is I didn't have to do that for my Strands, which are also on the 5 last.

The waxy leather on the Neumok and shell cordovan do not fit as tightly to the last as calf. I went down one width on the Neumok. Perfect fit.

same goes for the nuemoks and cordovan strands i just bought

i am a 10.5 on the left foot, and a 10 on the right on the whatever the hell you call it.... ended up trying on a 9.5D in both, and both fit me perfectly.  My walnut strands and mccallisters are 10D's... which are fine, but I realized after a little wear, they loosened up a bit, so I wanted to try a half size down before making another purchase.

Brannock = 11C. PA/Strand = 11.5C.

just wondering what are ppl's brannock size in compare to their park avenue size?

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

9.5E brannock 9E Five Last

Brannock = 11C. PA/Strand = 11.5C.

so aside from sizing up or down, I have seen at least 3 SFer stayed true to their width.

Personally, I have a pair of walnut strand in 10.5E while I measured a 11D on brannock. But thing is tho, I never tried on the 11D and 10.5D because the consensus back when I purchased my strand was size down 1 on length and size up one on width. However, I do feel a little bit of looseness after more than a dozen of wear of my strand. Maybe it's time to try on the 11D and 10.5D or some other sizes to make sure that I won't feel that looseness in the future when I make another purchase on the 5 last.

Anyone else can contribute their branno size in comparison to PA/Strand/5th Ave size?

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score

Anyone else can contribute their branno size in comparison to PA/Strand/5th Ave size?

Brannock = 12d /12e right on the line.

Calf park avenues, 12d (fit just right)
Shell strands , 12d (fit a little tight)
Shell Cambridge, 12d (fit a little loose)

I just wear thin socks with my strands and thick socks with my Cambridges, and they all fit great.

I actually think that it's a bit of a crapshoot, with handmade, lasted shoes. The fit can be different from shoe to shoe and from pair to pair. Your best bet is to wear them on carpet a few times, to make sure they fit well.

Last edited:

rootskier

Reaction score
Got some shell MacNeils. Hated the black edge finish:

A little work with sand paper, starting at 80, going to 120, 220, and then some 000 steel wool. One coat of Kiwi neutral and then two or three applications of Kiwi brown:

MUCH happier now. And yes, I have read DFWII's warnings on what I lost in this process. I am not concerned but will keep up with the waxing of the edges even if I never polish the shell (per the Mac method).

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i gotta be honest, the short toe cap on the park avenues is really weird looking.

I might have to remove it from my "first good shoe" recommendation list.

zchen

Reaction score
I get the same toe cap too short feeling the more I look at PAs as well (and Fifth Avenues). I also wish AE would make a plain toe version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads