1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

We all gotta start somewhere. Only took me 36 years of life and 50 pounds of weight loss to realize I needed to dress like an adult.

1 person likes this.
  2. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The same thing happened to me 4 years ago. however, I'm about 15 back up. [​IMG]

3. MattRiv

MattRiv Senior member

Ha, he wasn't calling you a child. He was just admiring the innocence of your thought that you are going to stop at just 6 pairs.

4. naspratt

naspratt Senior member

Freiburgs arrived today; the new tap sole is pretty nice, and I dig this leather. Anyone know what it is, other than "durable, distressed leather"?

5. NorseHorse

NorseHorse Senior member

Never underestimate the power of denial. :)

6. ScofieldReturns

ScofieldReturns Senior member

heavily considering picking up the cornwallis from the 2nds sale...anyone wanna talk me out of it?

7. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Buy that shit.

3 people like this.
  8. Moose22

Moose22 Senior member

I've got some on order now. If they ever get here I'll give an in-person review, but I think they're a really great looking shoe. I went for dark brown. On the formal side, but not stodgy or too formal.

There's a certain place for understated but stylish and I think they fit that spot perfectly.

Hopefully that will talk you out of it.

9. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Regarding the 333 last. My coworker has a pair of Larchmount and we both wear size 8D in 65last shoes. But when I tried on his 7.5 larchmont shoes it fit fine. So for me I would size down .5 in the 3 last

With that said, the Cornwallis looks to be a handsome sleek shoe. How does it compare to the 5 last? As stated i'm 8D in all lasts minus the 333

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yes.

11. BL70

BL70 Senior member

My turn. Someone talk me out of brooks brothers Mcallister 2nds for $159.

12. jaba

jaba Member

Thinking about picking up the Flatirons on 2nds for $177. Is there an expectation that they will go lower than this as they are being closed out?

13. SuperHiro

SuperHiro Member

I bought a pair of BB Fifth Ave 2nds for $150 last year around April.

It certainly fits a LOT tighter than my non-BB 65 Last shoes (Park Ave and McAllister). I think it's the Poron insole or something filling up some more space than normal AE shoes. I can get pretty small "V's" on my PA and McAllister; the BB FA's is pretty wide. There's a gross joke in there somewhere. And maybe it's just me being stupid, but I swear the FA's feel hotter on my feet after a day's wear.

And they told me they couldn't see what was wrong with them, but they apparently missed the slightly askew cap toe. It's not a BIG deal, but that's exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid in seconds because sometimes that's going to drive me NUTS.

Ultimately I don't regret the purchase, it's certainly better than say, a pair of Ecco's. But I'm not going to resole them if it comes to that, and I'm not exactly considering them the "star" of my rotation.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I'm at it. I got a pair of McGregors in the sale, and darn if they don't FEEL bigger on my feet than the PA and McAllister. I suppose it's the open lacing, I'm curious if others actually go so far as to size down for that?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  14. BL70

BL70 Senior member

I got flatirons in the last sale for the same price and ended up sending them back. I thought there were defects in the leather that were too obvious. If they go lower they might be worth it.

15. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Horween Dublin leather I believe.

16. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

They may mark them down to $157 at some point. These are close-outs. Will there still be a pair in your size when they drop the price?
    Are you willing to take that risk, or would you rather spend $20 and get what you want now?

17. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I have a pair, in the same size as my 65 last shoes. They feel a lot roomier up front though. I put an insole in them, and now they fit great.

18. jaba

jaba Member

In Bourbon? How do they look?

19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Anyone own the Brooks Brothers football grain Duke loafer? I am realllllly tempted to pick up a pair, even though I already have brown grain Brooks Brothers Kenwood loafers.

I greatly prefer the BB version of the Duke to the AE version. Anyone have any input on the matter and/or photos?

Thanks.

20. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.