• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

bathiel

Reaction score
I got the following advice from an Allen Edmonds store I contacted in New York about the fit of Shelton.
Can any other Shelton wearers out there confirm this?
Do the Sheltons generally run a bit tight?

I just picked up a pair of Sheltons. I'm a pretty regular 8.5D, and they fit me well. Not too tight at all. But I don't have a high instep, so that's probably why my experience differed.

Bernie

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the following advice from an Allen Edmonds store I contacted in New York about the fit of Shelton.
Can any other Shelton wearers out there confirm this?
Quote:
This certainly seems like a YMMV-type situation, but I can report that even though my instep is relatively high, my Sheltons are the same size as my other 1-lasted (and 5-lasted) shoes and they fit me fine. It is true, however, that the Shelton is one of the few 1-last bals, so if you're accustomed to a blucher-type fit you may find the bal a little more constricting, all other things being equal.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not the greatest sock choice, I know, but I'm loving the patina my park aves are developing.

Last edited:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got a fit question for you all with Strands.

This summer, I went in and got fitted at an AE store for some Strands. At the time, I fit somewhere between an 11.5 D and a 12 D. The 11.5 E was too wide for my tastes.

In short, the 11.5 seemed a tad too tight and the 12 seemed just about right.

So, when a pair of Oxblood Strands showed up on the Shoebank in 12 D, I jumped on them. They arrived today and I really can't tell why they're 2nds as opposed to firsts. I tried them on at home. In walking around, there's a bit of heel slip, and they feel looser than I remembered. I'm chalking it up to being fitted in the summer, when feet tend to swell a bit more and now it's winter.

I'm debating which direction to go in. Do I return for an 11.5 D (which may entail waiting for some time for another to show up as seconds, and there's no guarantees that I'll be OK with whatever the defect is)? If I go this approach, will they stretch a bit? Or, should I keep them and just add a tongue pad? Or, should I keep them and just resign myself to wearing slightly thicker socks in the winter to fill in the space?

Any of the rest of you have this issue with shoes fitting differently in the summer and winter? I thought I was set, considering I just ordered some Black Hills, which use the same last as the Strand and they fit perfectly as a 12 D, in dress socks.

RitchieBro

Reaction score

This summer, I went in and got fitted at an AE store for some Strands. At the time, I fit somewhere between an 11.5 D and a 12 D. The 11.5 E was too wide for my tastes.

So, when a pair of Oxblood Strands showed up on the Shoebank in 12 D, I jumped on them. They arrived today and I really can't tell why they're 2nds as opposed to firsts. I tried them on at home. In walking around, there's a bit of heel slip, and they feel looser than I remembered. I'm chalking it up to being fitted in the summer, when feet tend to swell a bit more and now it's winter. 

I'm debating which direction to go in. Do I return for an 11.5 D (which may entail waiting for some time for another to show up as seconds, and there's no guarantees that I'll be OK with whatever the defect is)? If I go this approach, will they stretch a bit? Or, should I keep them and just add a tongue pad? Or, should I keep them and just resign myself to wearing slightly thicker socks in the winter to fill in the space?

Any of the rest of you have this issue with shoes fitting differently in the summer and winter? I thought I was set, considering I just ordered some Black Hills, which use the same last as the Strand and they fit perfectly as a 12 D, in dress socks.

The consensus of opinion here is that shell shoes fit looser than calf shoes, because shell leather is more dense than calf, therefore shell cannot be pulled as tight over the last thereby making a looser fit. I have experienced this myself.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The consensus of opinion here is that shell shoes fit looser than calf shoes, because shell leather is more dense than calf, therefore shell cannot be pulled as tight over the last thereby making a looser fit. I have experienced this myself.
Thanks Ritchie, but these Strands are calfskin and not shell. I'm not playing with the big boy shell-wearers yet. I'm afraid to open up the cordovan section of Pandora's box as my wallet can barely afford the 3 pairs of calf I've purchased in the past few months.

ultravisitor

Reaction score

I'm between sizes on the 5 last, as well. Initially, I went with the larger size (9EEE), but I started to develop creases on the captoe. I exchanged them for a half size smaller, and the smaller size works a bit better. It's a little more narrow than the 9EEE, but I no longer have creases on the captoes.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
I size a 12D on the Brannock but on the smaller side of the D. For the 65 last the 12D is a bit to long, other wise fits well. However the lacing gap is a bit wider than standard probably (depending on who you ask). The 11.5D fits perfect length wise and feels good width wise. (I like them snug) Lace gap is slightly wider than the 12D, but I sold my last pair before the cork settled in. However the 11.5E the heel is way to loose. So I'm a bit in between sizes as well on the 65 last. Which one fits the best length wise? I would try a tongue pad to see how that affects it and they can be removed if needed. Hope that helps some from a fellow 12D.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm...so if I bought the Patriots in Cordovan on the Club Monaco Canadian site, they'd end up being under $398 USD. Hmmmmm..... That's shell at nearly 40% with the exchange rate and all.

That'll work if you ship them to Canada.

RitchieBro

Reaction score
Thanks Ritchie, but these Strands are calfskin and not shell. I'm not playing with the big boy shell-wearers yet. I'm afraid to open up the cordovan section of Pandora's box as my wallet can barely afford the 3 pairs of calf I've purchased in the past few months.

My bad....I my eyes saw oxblood and my brain read cordovan!

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Thanks! I really enjoy the burnishing as well. They add a wonderful contrast.
Aren't the laces great? I recieved many compliments on them.

Bourbon strands today

Walnut McAllisters today.

Chris

Not the greatest sock choice, I know, but I'm loving the patina my park aves are developing.

Neumok Monday

Wow! A great showing for the AE thread! All looking great. +1 to those rocking Candy Cane laces. I need to figure out my pair to wear at the X-mas party next week so I can get them prepped. Happy Monday!

-Mike

Last edited:

P12OFIT

Reaction score
What shade of brown would be considered most essential if you could only have one pair of brown Park Avenues? I am building my professional wardrobe in preparation for a job I am starting in the near future and I'd like to know what color I should be purchasing next. I already have a black pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads