• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceM

Reaction score
Work christmas party. Broke out the candy cane laces with the Jeffersons.

Claus

Reaction score

Subtract half a size?
Is there a consensus on this?

I'm just a hair over the line of a size 8 on that size guide. AE recommends going up to the next line, making me 8.5.
Should I ignore that and stick to a size 8D?

Generally speaking, the US and UK sizing systems work by (1) turning your foot length into shoe sizes, and (2) then add a special number. That special number used to be the allowance - the space between your toes and the tip of the shoe. The meaning got a little bit lost when shoe making turned into an industry, but the effect is the same.

The AE sizing guide uses 2 units but people find shoes fit better when using 1.5 units, on average. This is where the suggestion comes from: A common measurement device may show US 8.5 but US 8 / UK 7 would be a better reference, on average.

In other words, when you're buying shoes close to your reference size, the length of the shoes is correct. This what shoe sizes are for, to ensure the correct length.

Whether shoes will feel comfortable is another matter, since this depends on the last and its width. Sometimes people say even the model and its leather has an influence.

So, it depends on what you're trying to do.

1. If you're about to go to an AE store, then you should stick to US 8 and test different last/width combinations until you find something that feels comfortable.
  2. If you've already choosen a particular model (and last), you may need to deviate from US 8 as a reference to find a comfortable fit.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noticing some striations in my new she'll strands. All over the caps. Left side is indicative. Thoughts?

Shoes4play

Reaction score
Noticing some striations in my new she'll strands. All over the caps. Left side is indicative. Thoughts?

I have some issues with mine as well, also on the left shoe. The color varies right below the toe cap. As I buff them, the color variation gets worse. Also, the beading at toe on the left shoe is right at the tip of the shoe with some fraying.

Are these considered defects?

tampatravel

Reaction score

I apologize if this has already been posted here or elsewhere but for anyone looking for Cordovan Chukka size 13. Club Monaco in Canada has them at 30% off.

Hmm...so if I bought the Patriots in Cordovan on the Club Monaco Canadian site, they'd end up being under $398 USD. Hmmmmm..... That's shell at nearly 40% with the exchange rate and all.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score

I've got all the colours, I love them.

I have their burgundy shell belt and have had it for a few years now. Worked well for me. It's a little lighter (more red), than my Burgundy or Color 8 shoes.

-Mike

Thanks guys. I'll pick one up with something else to make the total order greater than $200. Boy, this amex 50 off 200 deal makes the slope to AE obsession even more slippery. I even asked my friends to use their cards to buy AE GCs for me.
Must resist:slayer:

Odradek

Reaction score
I got the following advice from an Allen Edmonds store I contacted in New York about the fit of Shelton.
Can any other Shelton wearers out there confirm this?

However, in terms of Shelton, if a customer fits in 8.5 Allen Edmonds with regular insole shoes we generally would start the fit from a 9 when a customer asks for Shelton.

Do the Sheltons generally run a bit tight?

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the following advice from an Allen Edmonds store I contacted in New York about the fit of Shelton.
Can any other Shelton wearers out there confirm this?
Do the Sheltons generally run a bit tight?

That was my experience. I had Sheltons in the same size as 95% of my other AE shoes and they were very tight across the top of my foot towards the toes. It was so tight I ended up selling the shoes.

The Carlyle feels exactly like the Shelton when I tried them on at my local store.

Note: I have a relatively high instep and this likely contributed to the tightness.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads