• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are planning on wearing two pair of PA's I will assume you are wearing suits a lot. If so, I'd say dark brown.

But I'd also consider the brown punch cap, ie the Fifth Ave, for a tad more versitility.

P12OFIT

Reaction score
If you are planning on wearing two pair of PA's I will assume you are wearing suits a lot. If so, I'd say dark brown.

But I'd also consider the brown punch cap, ie the Fifth Ave, for a tad more versitility.

You are correct, I will be wearing a suit every day. I figured the dark brown would be it but I want to avoid making expensive mistakes. I appreciate the response.

gotribe

Reaction score
Started a separate thread for this but probably should have posted here. I just bought a pair of AE Park Avenues and wore them to work twice last week, and I'm already noticing some strange flattening or peeling of the very bottom outside layer of leather on the soles as shown in the pictures. I didn't do anything destructive in them, just a couple of 5 minute walks across the asphalt in my parking lot each day.

Am I being crazy or is this abnormal? Discoloring over time is one thing, but I've never seen this kind of peeling before even on way cheaper pairs of dress shoes.

Trader George

Reaction score
Started a separate thread for this but probably should have posted here. I just bought a pair of AE Park Avenues and wore them to work twice last week, and I'm already noticing some strange flattening or peeling of the very bottom outside layer of leather on the soles as shown in the pictures. I didn't do anything destructive in them, just a couple of 5 minute walks across the asphalt in my parking lot each day.

Am I being crazy or is this abnormal? Discoloring over time is one thing, but I've never seen this kind of peeling before even on way cheaper pairs of dress shoes.

That happens to pretty much all of my shoes, mainly the left shoe of each pair. It's the way I walk, especially putting more weight on my left foot. I'd imagine it happens to everybody to a certain extent. Putting toppies on the soles would help, but I don't do that. Whenever it starts to look too bad I just rub my finger against it for a few seconds, and then put heel dressing on it and it's not noticeable.

In other words, you'll be fine! Wear those shoes and be very proud of them!

gotribe

Reaction score
That happens to pretty much all of my shoes, mainly the left shoe of each pair. It's the way I walk, especially putting more weight on my left foot. I'd imagine it happens to everybody to a certain extent. Putting toppies on the soles would help, but I don't do that. Whenever it starts to look too bad I just rub my finger against it for a few seconds, and then put heel dressing on it and it's not noticeable.

In other words, you'll be fine! Wear those shoes and be very proud of them!

Good to know. I assume it's something that happens less after a bit of wear once there is a bit of roundness to the front of the sole? My main concern was that the peeling would continue up the front edge of the sole.

NeoXerxes

Reaction score
Just a quick update on the Walnut Strands I had purchased that came with stray burnishing on the front end of the shoe.

I went through the stock at two different Nordstroms near my home. After going through 10+ pairs, neither of them seemed to have Walnut Strands with burnishing in places that it shouldn't be (much less on one shoe but not the other). This is surprising to me, as the AE store sales assistant went to great lengths to convince me that such a defect is perfectly normal and fine. "Wear them with pride" he said while blatantly interrupting me in the middle of a complaint.

Next time I just might shop at the local Nordstrom rather than the AE store. Seems like they carry better stock. Additionally it is simply awkward and stressful to deal with my AE store sales assistant. I'm thinking about calling corporate for a return or exchange. It really shouldn't be this hard to get a pair of AE shoes with burnishing issues, and they shouldn't be outright denying that it is a problem.

If I was AE, I'd want to know if a customer is complaining about a quality control issue.

jrunner45

Reaction score
I'm reposting my question from the AE MTO thread here, hoping for some help a sizing question about Long Branches. I own a 7.5E Delray, but I find it presses uncomfortably against my pinky toe. I ordered a Long Branch in 7.5EEE from Nordstrom, it didn't press against my pinky toe as much, but the problem was still there, so I returned it. I was able to try a 8.5D Dalton at my local store. I didn't have a problem with my pinky toe but I felt the shoe was too long. Should I get the Long Branch in 8E or 8EEE?

Trader George

Reaction score
Good to know. I assume it's something that happens less after a bit of wear once there is a bit of roundness to the front of the sole? My main concern was that the peeling would continue up the front edge of the sole.
Yeah, it's always the worst at the beginning.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm reposting my question from the AE MTO thread here, hoping for some help a sizing question about Long Branches.  I own a 7.5E Delray, but I find it presses uncomfortably against my pinky toe.  I ordered a Long Branch in 7.5EEE from Nordstrom, it didn't press against my pinky toe as much, but the problem was still there, so I returned it.  I was able to try a 8.5D Dalton at my local store.  I didn't have a problem with my pinky toe but I felt the shoe was too long. Should I get the Long Branch in 8E or 8EEE?

8e is probably way to go...just take socks into consideration...did you try Dalton on in dress socks or heavier socks?

jrunner45

Reaction score
8e is probably way to go...just take socks into consideration...did you try Dalton on in dress socks or heavier socks?
I tried on the Dalton in heavier socks. I plan to wear similar heavier socks in the Long Branch.

Tloc AD

Reaction score
Just Bought my first pair of AE's. Been saving up for a while and soooo happy!! Strands. Top Dollar. Worth Every Penny

Last edited:

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was out thrifting and found a pair of burgundy Park Avenues. Pardon my ignorance (and poor photos), but these are cordovan, right? In rough shape, but still cordovan. Not my size, but they looked like they needed to be rescued.
6705f9a2d03c5bf48fd35d5ea3fbebda.jpg

2a4850e1d39808a9640e8cb9a68592e4.jpg

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You are correct, I will be wearing a suit every day.  I figured the dark brown would be it but I want to avoid making expensive mistakes.  I appreciate the response.

If not brown, merlot/burgundy works similarly, IMO.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Was out thrifting and found a pair of burgundy Park Avenues. Pardon my ignorance (and poor photos), but these are cordovan, right? In rough shape, but still cordovan. Not my size, but they looked like they needed to be rescued.

The microcreases are an obvious sign that they are not cordovan. They are "polished cobbler" which is corrected grain I believe.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The microcreases are an obvious sign that they are not cordovan. They are "polished cobbler" which is corrected grain I believe.

Thanks! I knew they weren't regular calfskin and had no idea AE made PAs in a corrected grain. Looks like I need to throw these up on eBay and see what I can get for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads