1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. david 112358

david 112358 Active Member

you just need to hit a critical mass where she can't tell you're adding more pairs. I have 2, with a 3rd in the mail. She'll notice a 50% increase. I do the same thing with fly rods.

1 person likes this.
  2. Scubasteve03

Scubasteve03 New Member

[​IMG]
    I recently picked up a couple pairs of Strandmoks off eBay, one pair looked almost brand new, but the other has some major discoloration in the toe area. I got them for $85, and knew what I was getting myself into. My question is, is there anyway that this can be dyed somewhat to reduce the long streaks down the sides/ front? They almost look like they were supposed to be dyed this way if you never saw how they're designed. What do you guys think?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/172079741270?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

Mine are walnut. I really like the way they look, especially when they're polished.

4. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Yeah...I was that kid too. “Just one more pair, just one more pair...” Then I was at ten, then fifteen, and the rotation looked almost perfect aside from a few small holes...

So I just got to the magic round number of twenty—which (delusional as it may seem) is pretty much my goal. Had been at eighteen and then I lucked into a sweet, gently used pair of Black Calf Fairfaxes and for number twenty...a near MINT pair of Black Calf Carlyles.

Between the Fairfaxes, Carlyles and my Black Players Shoe, I'm GOOD I think on my Black Dress Shoe rotation.

With that, for today? Rocking the Black Calf “Haight” Chelsea Boot with the Dainite sole as it is a bit damp out here in NYC—“Pep” caffeinated beverage shot style of course!:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  5. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

I am tired of my brown distressed Pine River; time to transform. I'm gonna go Navy... Hat tip to Watchidiot for the idea. Wanted something for dark wash jeans besides my navy Eagle County. Light washes too, for that matter! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ...almost done. It's a process - at least the way I do it. At least five coats of dye, cream and wax each. Trying to decide on acrylic finish.

6. BL70

BL70 Senior member

I have the bourbon, I posted a pic yesterday, it's a great color

[​IMG]

7. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I third that. Bought a pair of firsts last spring when they came out and absolutely love them. I think they're one of the nicest shoes I've seen from AE in the past few years. I also got the dark brown, and they are fantastic with much of my dress wardrobe. One note, though: You may have to drop down a half size. I did, and they fit really nicely.

Bernie

8. RichieP

RichieP Senior member

LOL! That's the craziest method of talking someone out of it I've ever heard. Reverse psychology? :rotflmao:

2 people like this.
  9. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

They will eventually go to $157, if any are left, and will stay at that price for a long time. At that point they might not even have your size left. Ironically, I ordered a pair yesterday. They didn't have any seconds left, so I ended up getting firsts.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Very nice looking shoes. If you wear suits or wool trousers often, go for it.

11. robster35

robster35 Senior member

is it possible for one shoe to be larger than the other even tho theyre the same size? my left shoe feels a good bit bigger than the right and even looks wider so i measured it and its about a centimeter wider at the widest part of the shoe. the dainite sole is noticeably wider also. almost wondering if they misstamped the shoe a D when its really an E

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'll ask again.

I'm 8D in all but one of my AE shoes on the 65 and the 108 last. What size would I be for the Cornwallis which is on the 1943 last?

13. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

I wear a 13B in the 65 and 108 lasts. I tried on the Cornwalis and Yorktown (1943 last) in a 13B. They were both slightly roomier around the toes -- especially the Yorktown. I felt like the Corwalis would work for me, but not the Yorktown.
    Your results may vary.

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

[​IMG]

This crud is from wearing Tingely overshoes, over my just-polished AEs. My question is this; will Conditioner/
    Cleaner take care of this, and if so, do I need to repolish the shoes after using Conditioner/Cleaner? Thanks.

15. jet-stream

jet-stream Senior member

I love the Cornwallis but can't make it work. I'm an 11D is most lasts (108 and 333 fit best), and 11E in the 65. The 11D Cornwallis was waaaay too tight (length and width) in the toebox. 11EE would probably be about right if that was a thing, which it is not. I'd say the 65 is your best barometer - if it's perfect for you, the 1943 might be a bit tight but could work. If it's looser for you, the 1943 could be a good fit. YMMV, of course.

16. misterellington

misterellington Senior member

Pairs nineteen and twenty—rounding out the family. I was looking for a couple of pairs of Black Balmorals (To go along with my Black Calf “Players Shoe” short wing blucher) and I got 'em.

Took about three months, but I found a pair of gently used “Fairfax” wholecuts with the interesting wingtip “patterned” brogueing AND a gorgeous pair of Black Calf “Carlyles”. Both fit perfectly and have minimal wear—maybe a year and a half-plus or more of wear out from a recrafting.

Total cost of both pairs: $150.00. :)

I'm right where I want to be Allen Edmonds shoe-wise (aside from tall boots—which I already have a few other brands in—Horween Leather USA Made Timberland Coulters, and wingtip-wise a pair of very nice Goodyear Welted John Varvatos')

[​IMG]

(Okay...if a pair of 12D-12E “Portland” boots ever came up, I'd be willing to go back to an odd number of AEs, but THAT'S about it. LOL. :) )

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    2 people like this.
  17. bathiel

bathiel Senior member

I'm and 8.5D in the 65 and most other AE shoes, but I sized down a half for the Cornwallis.

Bernie

18. sruchris

sruchris Well-Known Member

Blue Banchorys today.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I'll just go with 8D and hope for the best.

20. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Brilliant. And once you start selling off some shoes it gets harder for them to keep up as well. (I had the rod issue as well. Having some excellent rod manufacturers within driving distance doesn't help).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.