1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mreams99

mreams99 Senior member

These are supposed to have a distressed look.
    If you don't like that, take them back and get a different style.

2. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

The Russet Brown leather is full-grain Dublin leather from Horween.

2 people like this.
  3. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Both the Sauk Drive and the Freiburg are made of leather that AE describes as "durable leather"...I had always wondered about what exactly that meant, as well, quality wise.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Assume that's the normandy and what did you custamize? The scuff on the side if it is a rip would bother me...but AE distresses the leather for the look.

The stitching wouldn't bother me much on the welt

5. J-Short

J-Short Member

Customize probably is not the correct word. They had to make them for me because they ran out of my size. I understand the distressed look, but I bought the brown ones from the store and they were flawless

6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

So that happened after wearing....sorry I misunderstood. If it is just that top layer and is not a cut I wouldn't worry...the leather almost has a crust on the pair I have...so that I would expect to get beat up.

When I get on my computer i will take a closer look at the pictures. On my phone it doesn't look bad

7. J-Short

J-Short Member

Thanks for responding. Sorry I am kind of new to this whole shoe thing. They looked like this coming straight out of the box. And these are not seconds

8. Robertson

Robertson Senior member

Thanks for the help! I saw a pair for $135 and thought it seemed a decent deal on shell, but that makes sense.

Does calfskin have the same issue at all used?

9. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

They are supposed to look like that out of the box. If you got a pair of brown ones that weren't pre-distressed, then they were actually incorrect. It sounds bass-ackwards, but that's the design intent of the shoe.

10. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. How is the length compared with 511? I have the Dalton in 9B and they are fine with thicker socks. Would probably be better in 8.5 B or C, but it's a custom size. From what I have read about the 201 last, 9B might not work, so I may need to try out medium widths by going down in length.

11. cc808314

cc808314 Senior member

Thanks. Keep us posted. If they are the same length as 65 or 511, I probably can pull off 8 D.

12. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Bummer that the Strand Double Flap Briefcase is sold out; however, Kristle at the Jeffersonville outlet was able to hunt down a second quality one for me so that I could purchase it for my brother for Christmas.

Although after having it in my hands, I might end up wanting to keep it for myself!

13. Scarlet

Scarlet Senior member

The Freiburg's toe is slightly longer than my Dundee 2's, but it's also slightly more tapered in width and height. I'm actually wondering if a lot of the greater feeling of roominess is just due to the leather being way less stiff than my Dundee's calf.

14. wgiceman

wgiceman Senior member

I picked up the Strand double strap briefcase and I love it more each time I use it. The quality of it is great; so much so that I considered getting the matching duffle bag. But I held out because I don't take too many road trips, and it is far too nice to check in at the airport. Nice items, both of them.

15. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Thanks.

That's an insane price for what amounts to a Long Branch in Horween Dublin with the old style full lug sole. Shoe Bank is getting a few for $40 less. For anyone wanting a F/W boot, it is hard to imagine a better value.

16. BackInTheJox

I was thinking of buying the Strand Duffel for myself during this current sale (I already own a great Saddleback briefcase so I don't need the Strand double strap briefcase for myself but can appreciate the great quality of both items). But, like you, I probably wouldn't put it to use enough to justify the cost.

17. FaRKle

FaRKle Senior member

I might've gotten the last one this past Thursday. At least my SA had to call a lot of stores before finding one in Atlanta...

18. jcman311

jcman311 Senior member

Ha, Ive posted that vid a couple of times to help people out. Ive met the guy in the video and been to their "factory" in Milwaukee. The guy is pretty knowledgable in various leathers.

19. mosy

mosy Senior member

Cambridge in burgundy shell from shoe bank. I know many don't mind, and some in fact prefer, some color variation in shell. Having said that, is the difference in color between these shoes too significant? Can I wear these without looking like I'm in mismatched shoes?

[​IMG]

20. BackInTheJox

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.